• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

My first thought was "they must be newsstands." My second thought was "bet there was some shilling going on" and there was. Third bidder down had 94% activity with the seller.

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

My first thought was "they must be newsstands." My second thought was "bet there was some shilling going on" and there was. Third bidder down had 94% activity with the seller.

The seller has a ton of lots like this, with multiple copies of the same issue. Here's another Valiant auction that ended the same night with high results:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-100-Copies-of-Bloodshot-6-First-Appearance-of-Ninjak-NEAR-MINT-HIGHGRADE/302360124005?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I checked the first few bidders and all of them have high %s with this seller. Could be the seller gets a lot of activity from resellers. perhaps?

8 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The seller has a ton of lots like this, with multiple copies of the same issue. Here's another Valiant auction that ended the same night with high results:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-100-Copies-of-Bloodshot-6-First-Appearance-of-Ninjak-NEAR-MINT-HIGHGRADE/302360124005?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I checked the first few bidders and all of them have high %s with this seller. Could be the seller gets a lot of activity from resellers. perhaps?

Although it might be of interest to note as well that on one of the auctions I was bidding on, I got a second chance offer not long after the auction closed.

25 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Youre right! I didnt even bother checking the other sold listings duh

Some of the 90s drek he moved actually may give a new meaning to the old "put-your-kids-through-college-with-comic-books" adage!

Example A

Example B

And while no one may find this surprising today... Example C wouldve been a fantasy only a little over a year ago

15 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Some of the 90s drek he moved actually may give a new meaning to the old "put-your-kids-through-college-with-comic-books" adage!

Example A

Example B

And while no one may find this surprising today... Example C wouldve been a fantasy only a little over a year ago

I still find it surprising that it would finish at that price per copy, but not necessarily that someone would want that many copies

On 7/2/2017 at 9:49 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Example A

Example B

On 7/3/2017 at 0:52 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I still find it surprising that it would finish at that price per copy, but not necessarily that someone would want that many copies

That sellers completed auctions are ludicrous! It HAS to be from some buyers hoping to find stacks of 9.8s coming out of them as they seem to be old store stock.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/porkyscomics/m.html?item=292160449128&rmvSB=true&hash=item44061eaa68%3Ag%3Ar9oAAOSwstJZTGSY&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

On 7/2/2017 at 8:49 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I still find paying $25 a pop for Spawn 1 pretty surprising. 

4 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

The auctions mentioned were mostly bid on by valiant board members. The winner of the X-O #1's is hoping for some 9.8s is the pile of 70+ copies for nearly $3k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-76-Copies-of-X-O-Manowar-1-First-Issue-NEAR-MINT-Valiant-HIGH-GRADE-Book-/292161595932?hash=item4406302a1c:g:m0oAAOSw~rpZTbHY

I don't know about "mostly" but I am a member and I bid on some. But outside of two of the single-issue lots, my max per book was lower than the results of every auction, and way lower than most of them.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:52 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Me too. $10 a pop on that book buying in bulk? I have a few hoping it would one day be a $10 book. It's an issue I give as a freebie when I sell any valiant for $15 or more.

I am pretty much done with the modern comic market. Way too many titles being produced, way too many variants being produced, the really popular artists pretty much only do variant covers these days, the quality of storytelling has really been mediocre at best (speaking in regards to DC & Marvel) and its just become way too expensive especially if your buying a lot of variants, which I was for awhile there. The last couple years I have shifted most of the money I was spending on modern comics into the 1:3 and 1:4 statue market and I am really happy I decided to go that route as the last couple years have been absolutely amazing years for the statue market. IMO 2016 was Sideshow's best year to date and both XM and Prime 1 are making amazing pieces. If I am going to spend a lot of money on comic related merchendise, I would much rather have a beautiful 1:3 or 1:4 statue than a stack of modern comics, but as always to each thier own. If I do wind up buying any modern comics from here on out, it will likely be in omnibus or TPB format as opposed to individual issues. Personally, I think the modern variant market is headed full steam towards a major crash so I am circling high overhead like a vulture waiting for that day to come. 

6 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I am pretty much done with the modern comic market. Way too many titles being produced, way too many variants being produced, the really popular artists pretty much only do variant covers these days, the quality of storytelling has really been mediocre at best (speaking in regards to DC & Marvel) and its just become way too expensive especially if your buying a lot of variants, which I was for awhile there. The last couple years I have shifted most of the money I was spending on modern comics into the 1:3 and 1:4 statue market and I am really happy I decided to go that route as the last couple years have been absolutely amazing years for the statue market. IMO 2016 was Sideshow's best year to date and both XM and Prime 1 are making amazing pieces. If I am going to spend a lot of money on comic related merchendise, I would much rather have a beautiful 1:3 or 1:4 statue than a stack of modern comics, but as always to each thier own. If I do wind up buying any modern comics from here on out, it will likely be in omnibus or TPB format as opposed to individual issues. Personally, I think the modern variant market is headed full steam towards a major crash so I am circling high overhead like a vulture waiting for that day to come. 

I'll give you cash for the variants I want. Buy you some more of them purdy statues.

36 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I went through the same thing with the modern market about a year ago. Kept trying Marvel, hoping for more stories and less agendas. I found it at DC with the Rebirth line. That isn't to say it doesn't exist there but its certainly less hamfisted in presentation. This brought some old childhood heroes back into the stable and I'm thankful for their revamped approach. 

My favorite stuff is Image and Dark Horse. Image won't break you as their stuff comes out at a much slower pace than Marvel or DC. The stories are high quality even though most of the speculation on the books has calmed down. East of West , Southern Bastards, Jupiter's Legacy, Brigg's Land, Redneck, Black Hammer, Monstress, and some others are ALL great to this point. I think its good spec now as almost all of it is cheap. Some of the smaller lines like Aftershock print really great stuff too. 

Think about this for a second. People are chasing down things that don't make so much sense in favor of stories. Collectors buy primarily for nostalgia. Comics aren't a need so the demand for them is almost completely emotionally driven. Right now, the market is about keeping up with the Jones' and less about nostalgia. Which guy is sitting at home thinking "man, I really want to get that 4th print I had for that big event that I read 3 months before that 4th print came out" ? lol I'm thinking there is no fond memory, only scarcity, driving that type of book. Same with the lesser quality variants. Why would someone want an ugly cover because its a 1:50 ? Only because they think someone else wants it in most cases. Great art that is limited, that I ca appreciate. Then again, I've purchased original art that is 1 of 1 that cost me less than some books from the same run numbered to 50 copies.  This kind of market may last forever but I think it has peaked or is close to it. A very good friend with a heck of a card and comic collection gave me sage advice a long time ago. Buy 'em where they ain't. Meaning buy stuff cheap when the horde is spending heavy on other stuff. I mostly live by it with my collection. 

Speculating aside, TPB and Compendiums are a great way to get a lot of stuff cheap. Individual regular cover back issue runs are also normally an inexpensive way to read. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the statues, they sound awesome. Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy comics again too.  (thumbsu

33 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Looks like it's dropped a little. 1st appearance of three characters. Only one matters right now and she has been prominent in the last couple of months on the series. Made some cover appearances.

8 hours ago, siro123 said:

So wow i guess the days of buying in bulk and getting a discount for wholesale are over.

Lots of Multiple bulk sales auctions ending at the going rate or higher of a single issue.

NYX #3 26 copies on fleabay

NYX #3 Fleabay

This guy paid $404.61 each for those NYX 3's, he'd better hope all 26 come back 9.8 if he expects to make anything on it, if they do, and sells them for $800 each, he should pocket about $300 per book after all said and done.  That won't happen though cause they all won't be 9.8's.  

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Looks like it's dropped a little. 1st appearance of three characters. Only one matters right now and she has been prominent in the last couple of months on the series. Made some cover appearances.

It's a variant, of course it's gonna drop