• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,791 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, fastballspecial said:

Fine it was 30 seconds. It not like a had stopwatch next to me. Sheesh

Please make sure it's calibrated when you get one.  

I've not seen Baby Yoda, Boba Fett, Hawkeye, or WandaVision.  In the faceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Patrick 

Maybe I missed this earlier…

”The Order” #8 by Fraction/Kitson

First Zeke Stane, rumored villain in Ironheart D+ series. Son of Obadiah Stane

You literally cannot throw or give a comic book away any more…every book ever will eventually become marginally relevant 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, GLCBrad said:

Maybe I missed this earlier…

”The Order” #8 by Fraction/Kitson

First Zeke Stane, rumored villain in Ironheart D+ series. Son of Obadiah Stane

You literally cannot throw or give a comic book away any more…every book ever will eventually become marginally relevant 

That one heated up a while back. Will probably heat up more 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:47 AM, valiantman said:

From my experience, owners of Scott Pilgrim books have no idea how to identify the printing.

1st of all, any hardcover Scott Pilgrim book is a later reprint (even if it's the first time in color). :grin:

Softcover Scott Pilgrim books could be a 1st printing and all printings will include the date of the first printing on the indicia (mumbo jumbo details page)...

Image 7 - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Universe Vol 4 - Bryan Lee O'Malley - First Print 2007 Oni 

BUT... whatever the number is showing on the number line at the bottom of the page, is the actual printing.

The example above is a 2nd printing, even though the eBay seller is calling it a 1st printing.

(1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2)

The number on the right is a "2".

A true 1st printing will have a number line (called a "printer's key") that looks like 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

Coincidentally, owners of later printings of Scott Pilgrim books will react exactly how the characters reacted at the bottom of the page if you point out they don't actually own first printings.

Thank you for sharing.
I can see how this would cause confusion.
Luckily, I have only stuck to chasing the 'typical' comics that would fit into CGC slabs.
Might still be missing one or two...which is why I periodically search for Scott Pilgrim.
One day I'll try and take a pic of my Stephen Stills doujinshi (imported from Japan) that Bryan Lee O'Malley endorsed.
Hopefully he'll be able to do a signing and I can get it SS.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:47 AM, valiantman said:

From my experience, owners of Scott Pilgrim books have no idea how to identify the printing.

1st of all, any hardcover Scott Pilgrim book is a later reprint (even if it's the first time in color). :grin:

Softcover Scott Pilgrim books could be a 1st printing and all printings will include the date of the first printing on the indicia (mumbo jumbo details page)...

Image 7 - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Universe Vol 4 - Bryan Lee O'Malley - First Print 2007 Oni 

BUT... whatever the number is showing on right on the number line at the bottom of the page, is the actual printing.

The example above is a 2nd printing, even though the eBay seller is calling it a 1st printing.

(1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2)

The number on the right is a "2".  (there's a chance it's still a 1st printing because the line starts with a 1, but that 2 on the right is usually indicative of "2nd print")

A definite 1st printing should have a number line (called a "printer's key") that looks like 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

image.png.1a093856fe093533e21e52b02324db52.png

When you see a number line (printer's key) that looks like 15 14 13 12 11 10  9  8, it's an 8th printing, no matter what else the page says about "First edition: February 2009", etc.

Coincidentally, owners of later printings of Scott Pilgrim books will react exactly how the characters reacted at the bottom of the page if/when you point out they don't actually own first printings.

This isn't specific to Scott Pilgrim books.  The most reprinted graphic novel of all time, Watchmen, uses the same printer's key.  It will say First edition 1986 and then have a number line like 43 42 41 40 39 38 37 36, and it's a 36th printing (most likely from many years after 1986).

Very good post. Thanks for sharing. I became very familiar with the printer’s key and all that last year while buying collections that included comics and various other printed material. Wish I had understood all that stuff beforehand. Would’ve saved a lot of time spent searching on each book.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/10/2022 at 10:38 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Very good post. Thanks for sharing. I became very familiar with the printer’s key and all that last year while buying collections that included comics and various other printed material. Wish I had understood all that stuff beforehand. Wouldn’t have saved a lot of time spent searching on each book.  

Specific to Scott Pilgrim, I bought a Vol 1 through 6 softcover set from eBay a few years ago, supposedly "all 1st printings!" according to the seller.

When I received the books, they were 7th print, 4th print, 2nd print, 1st print, 1st print, 1st print (for the six volumes).

All of them clearly said "First edition:" with a month and year, but the printer's keys were where to find the truth. 10  9  8  7 isn't a first printing, no matter what else the page says. :(

Edited by valiantman

On 1/10/2022 at 9:47 AM, valiantman said:

BUT... whatever the number is showing on right on the number line at the bottom of the page, is the actual printing.

(1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2)

The number on the right is a "2".  (there's a chance it's still a 1st printing because the line starts with a 1, but that 2 on the right is usually indicative of "2nd print")

A definite 1st printing should have a number line (called a "printer's key") that looks like 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

When you see a number line (printer's key) that looks like 15 14 13 12 11 10  9  8, it's an 8th printing, no matter what else the page says about "First edition: February 2009", etc.

Coincidentally, owners of later printings of Scott Pilgrim books will react exactly how the characters reacted at the bottom of the page if/when you point out they don't actually own first printings.

This isn't specific to Scott Pilgrim books.  The most reprinted graphic novel of all time, Watchmen, uses the same printer's key.  It will say First edition 1986 and then have a number line like 43 42 41 40 39 38 37 36, and it's a 36th printing (most likely from many years after 1986).

I never knew this till I bought Thanos Quest many years ago and found it it wasn't a 1st print.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:47 AM, valiantman said:

You may not be able to answer this but, why does the 2nd printing (top pic) have a First Edition date (October 2007) earlier than the 1st printing (bottom pic) First Edition date (February 2009)?

Are these pics from different SP books just to show the printing info?

On 1/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, manetteska said:

You may not be able to answer this but, why does the 2nd printing (top pic) have a First Edition date (October 2007) earlier than the 1st printing (bottom pic) First Edition date (February 2009)?

Are these pics from different SP books just to show the printing info?

Yes, different books.  Both from the Scott Pilgrim volumes, but different books.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:03 PM, Troy Division said:
On 1/4/2022 at 12:04 AM, Beige said:

Anyone gotten confirmation of their order from Mr Walker as yet?

Just received an order today that was placed the day before I posted in this thread.

Ditto; received yesterday. Totally forgot what I ordered.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:41 PM, Brock said:

I’m enjoying it quite a bit… To each their own.

Yes, a little ‘Dances with Wolves’ and lot of ‘Lawrence of Arabia’.

The 1st episode was a little meh to me.  The 2nd picked up quite a bit especially with the intro of Black Krrsantan.  The one thing really bugging me is the Gamorean Guards.  The costuming is horrible.  The skin tone is way too light, they are not rotund enough at all and they just look like two humans with masks on that are way too big.  Did no one there view the Return of the Jedi film to get them accurate looking??  I think they look like that on the Mando show as well....horrible!  The movie from what, 1984, makes them look real bad IMHO.  Looking forward to the rest of the show, though.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:01 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Amen. Whatever it is, Cates won't know how to finish it and it will plummet. Just basing this opinion on facts, nothing more...

He's too busy "f-ing around" returning Miracleman 1 Cover reproductions

Edited by MAR1979