• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lpgk said:

used to sell a decent amount on Shortboxed, the last 6 months have been crickets. 

In my experience Shortboxed tends to produce strong sales results, but not a high volume of sales. If I list something and it doesn't sell in the first 72 hours then it will never sell.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:48 PM, World Devourer said:

I don't believe any of these DC efforts will be worth anything.

Why? Because they are DC and we currently have a depressed market.

The only exception would be an ultra-rare Batman variant with a beautiful cover. That will work.

What is sad about this though, is that, DC comics for decades, were a leading force in comic collecting. 
It’s sad to think of all the people that collected DC comics for years and years… and sure, they got some great experiences for their efforts, but not much else. 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

My sales have increased steadily for the last several years, but not huge jumps. Just like 5 to 15% a year or so depending on my time I can put into the hobby. Except for last year which is an anamolly.

What did many expect after the largest one sale year in the last 20 years?  I tripled my sales last year. I have no expectations that sales will be anywhere near what they were last year. But between ebay, CGC, facebook and doing comic books shows I won't take that much of a hit this year. Its about diversifying your sales which I am sure you are aware of. And when you know its buying time which it looking that way this year in the winter which I cant wait for. :drool:

By the end of this year I expect many sellers to pack it in when they realize they cant make the money they made last year. They actually thought this was what it was like selling comics every year. :roflmao:
Between that and having to pay taxes many will just quit and all be there to pick up the slack. :drool:

Agreed. I finally decided to take some "time off" from selling slabs, since this is in no way a main moneymaker for me, and work on getting several hundred more comics graded to stock up when the time is right. Taking my time and even getting into grading some old mags from my collection like Sports Illustrated, Beckett's and that sort of thing, as well as finally grading some sports cards which I have never got around to so now is a good time! (Which includes a handful of Aaron Judge Rookie cards for the baseball fans here!). :) 

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

My sales have picked up quite a bit this month, about double last month already. I am small potatoes, though…

Bronze Black Adam books are selling well, but also She-Hulk and some oddball silver. I even sold a set of Copper DC Atom books. Only a couple of moderns sold, but the trend lines are definitely up.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, D2 said:

What is sad about this though, is that, DC comics for decades, were a leading force in comic collecting. 
It’s sad to think of all the people that collected DC comics for years and years… and sure, they got some great experiences for their efforts, but not much else. 

Yes, unfortunately true.

There have been many, many discussions about this.

DC often had more sophisticated stories but Marvel had very sexy eye-catching covers, which adds to perceived value (a good example being the picture box covers of the 70s, especially the ultra-rare black in 9.8).

More reading about picture box covers:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-picture-frame-cover-era/

Edited by World Devourer

On 10/20/2022 at 6:04 PM, World Devourer said:

Yes, unfortunately true.

There have been many, many discussions about this.

DC often had more sophisticated stories but Marvel had very sexy eye-catching covers, which adds to perceived value (a good example being the picture box covers of the 70s, especially the ultra-rare black in 9.8).

More reading about picture box covers:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-picture-frame-cover-era/

In fact I think the only DC covers that had real flair and broke new ground were the now-classic Neal Adams Batman covers.

Here's a sample:

https://13thdimension.com/neal-adams-13-greatest-batman-covers-ranked/

Edited by World Devourer

On 10/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, WolverineX said:

Any ideas where I could pick up a copy? I still need a good online buying option for the Spawn Batman release in December

On 10/20/2022 at 12:07 PM, mytastebud said:

Any ideas where I could pick up a copy? I still need a good online buying option for the Spawn Batman release in December

https://thirdeyecomics.com/products/dc-vs-vampires-12-of-12-cvr-c-inc-1-25-filya-bratukhin-card-stock-var

for the new Bratukhin.

The Deathstroke one is hard to find.  Raws range from 50 to 100.  There are 3 slabbed 9.8s for 235 on ebay right now.  Also @Ryan. was selling a copy a few months ago.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, WolverineX said:

https://thirdeyecomics.com/products/dc-vs-vampires-12-of-12-cvr-c-inc-1-25-filya-bratukhin-card-stock-var

for the new Bratukhin.

The Deathstroke one is hard to find.  Raws range from 50 to 100.  There are 3 slabbed 9.8s for 235 on ebay right now.  Also @Ryan. was selling a copy a few months ago.

Hey WOLVIE

I just placed an order. I really appreciate your help!:peace:

On 10/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

My sales have increased steadily for the last several years, but not huge jumps. Just like 5 to 15% a year or so depending on my time I can put into the hobby. Except for last year which is an anamolly.

What did many expect after the largest one sale year in the last 20 years?  I tripled my sales last year. I have no expectations that sales will be anywhere near what they were last year. But between ebay, CGC, facebook and doing comic books shows I won't take that much of a hit this year. Its about diversifying your sales which I am sure you are aware of. And when you know its buying time which it looking that way this year in the winter which I cant wait for. :drool:

By the end of this year I expect many sellers to pack it in when they realize they cant make the money they made last year. They actually thought this was what it was like selling comics every year. :roflmao:
Between that and having to pay taxes many will just quit and all be there to pick up the slack. :drool:

I am actually selling all sorts of stuff right now on eBay, slabbed and raw. CA slabs sell steadily and at GPA or above right now. My only issue right now is that I am running out between local fall shows and eBay. I am finding more buyers at shows looking for CGC 9.8 Moderns and $100 or lower CA slabbed books to display on walls in their house. I am happy to sell those books, and they are happy to buy them. It is a perfect match. lol 

The only sad part is that most of the funds are going to grading fees and my modern spec orders every week (I really need to cut back.....) :wavingwhiteflag:

I think eBay sales will be reverting to the normal pattern of strong post-con seasonal sales up until the usually slow late Nov through to the week before Christmas period, then a heat up from just before Christmas into the first week or so of January. After that it will be a bit slow until tax refund cheques start flowing.

Edited by kimik

On 10/21/2022 at 2:50 AM, kimik said:

I am actually selling all sorts of stuff right now on eBay, slabbed and raw. CA slabs sell steadily and at GPA or above right now. My only issue right now is that I am running out between local fall shows and eBay. I am finding more buyers at shows looking for CGC 9.8 Moderns and $100 or lower CA slabbed books to display on walls in their house. I am happy to sell those books, and they are happy to buy them. It is a perfect match. lol 

The only sad part is that most of the funds are going to grading fees and my modern spec orders every week (I really need to cut back.....) :wavingwhiteflag:

I think eBay sales will be reverting to the normal pattern of strong post-con seasonal sales up until the usually slow late Nov through to the week before Christmas period, then a heat up from just before Christmas into the first week or so of January. After that it will be a bit slow until tax refund cheques start flowing.

I’m hoping to send a small stack of books to MCS next month & give them a try.:wishluck:

On 10/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m hoping to send a small stack of books to MCS next month & give them a try.:wishluck:

Good luck. A couple of friends and board members, thehumantorch and artboy99, have been doing well with MCS.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:24 AM, kimik said:

Good luck. A couple of friends and board members, thehumantorch and artboy99, have been doing well with MCS.

I’ve been following the thread from the very beginning, and have been impressed with what I’ve been reading.  That MCS interacts directly with us here is great.  Their responses to issues raised have been prompt & well executed.  I love that their grading is strict.  Only reason I haven’t used them yet....is because I don’t have anything worth consigning :tonofbricks:

On 10/21/2022 at 11:31 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ve been following the thread from the very beginning, and have been impressed with what I’ve been reading.  That MCS interacts directly with us here is great.  Their responses to issues raised have been prompt & well executed.  I love that their grading is strict.  Only reason I haven’t used them yet....is because I don’t have anything worth consigning :tonofbricks:

The strict grading is a reason to buy raw from them. I know other board members have posted comments that it can be a pain as a seller, though.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:52 AM, kimik said:

The strict grading is a reason to buy raw from them. I know other board members have posted comments that it can be a pain as a seller, though.

Honestly, I doubt their grading is harsher than my own.  And they have a much better reputation & audience than I do. 

My first shipment will be slabs though

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/21/2022 at 11:58 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Honestly, I doubt their grading is harsher than my own.  And they have a much better reputation & audience than I do. 

My first shipment will be slabs anyway. 

Slabs are the way to go with consignments IMHO. Easy for everyone to value all around.