• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

When does a popular cover become a classic cover?  When CGC designates it?  Not being snarky...I'm curious what ya'll think?  

(shrug)

I'm not even sure how various entities come up with their designations, some of which are... highly dubious, and that's being generous.

Edit: And when does a classic cover become a key?

Never.

Edit: And when does a classic cover become a key?

On 11/12/2022 at 10:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

Never.

Agree on this - a key is a key because of something significant within the story/mythos/world of the character or comic universe. I like a lot of "classic covers," but Batman 423 - for example - is not a key.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 11/13/2022 at 2:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

"Rare" (:eyeroll:) variants and popular covers do not make keys. Though they could be part of keys.

Respectfully, rare variants are the keys of the modern era.

It is the next stage in the evolution of the hobby.

Edited by World Devourer

On 11/14/2022 at 6:15 AM, pmpknface said:

Respectfully, I can't disagree with this more. @Jesse-Lee had it correct above. For example,  Ultimate Fallout #4 is a modern day key but it's variants aren't and never will be. It's about the story and what happens in it and not the cover over it. A "key" should be something essential to your collection, so with this example a Miles Morales collection isn't complete without the "key" of his 1st appearance. 

Variants have been around for 30+ years, this is not a new evolution of collecting. You can't consider a 1 out of 5000 copy something that everyone should have in their collection. Cool? Sure.  Valuable? Maybe. Necessary? No. 

Variants are not keys.

I personally agree with much of what you are saying, but the market shows the near-obsession people have with these items.

I also think the old notion of a "key" issue has all but disappeared. Not too many significant first appearances anymore.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:15 AM, pmpknface said:

Respectfully, I can't disagree with this more. @Jesse-Lee had it correct above. For example,  Ultimate Fallout #4 is a modern day key but it's variants aren't and never will be. It's about the story and what happens in it and not the cover over it. A "key" should be something essential to your collection, so with this example a Miles Morales collection isn't complete without the "key" of his 1st appearance. 

Variants have been around for 30+ years, this is not a new evolution of collecting. You can't consider a 1 out of 5000 copy something that everyone should have in their collection. Cool? Sure.  Valuable? Maybe. Necessary? No. 

Variants are not keys.

Why wouldn't a variant be a key? It has the same story. 

On 5/24/2022 at 11:16 PM, WolverineX said:

Insanely cool cover.  Batman #124 variant by Filya Bratukhin.  

Artist reminds me of Moebius and Darrow.   I think it comes out soon.   TFAW still has it for ratio.  Don't buy the overpriced ones on ebay

W1gH9hE.jpg

That illustration could have been ruined very easily by the colorist. So glad it didn't happen.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, DocCRR said:

Funko Pop! Artist Series: Marvel - Miles (Target Exclusive) : Target

Mods please move to appropriate location, if in the wrong spot.

Heh. There's no "if". Did you read what the thread was first?

You are responsible for what and where you post.

Not the moderators.

Moving on.

This should be a discussion about specific comics that are "heating up on ebay" - just sayin' :). The last SEVERAL posts should transition into a specific, definitive and no doubt important, targeted thread.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 11/11/2022 at 8:55 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 11/10/2022 at 12:31 PM, Lpgk said:

the thing that frightens me is, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time comics was hot was in the early 90s. I believe the comic market started to heat up again in 2013 or so. I can't want 30 years for this to come around. 

My guess is the next time new buyers enter the hobby en masse will be a decade MINIMUM. In order for prices to jump and jump if not down right sublimate the way they did in the pandemic bubble a large infusion of new blood is required. That occurred in the early 90's and then again from 2020-very early 2022. To think it will happen again in the short or mid term is simply not realistic.

Those with true business acumen don't need bubbles to do well.  Cash flow is king, sitting on merch desperately waiting and wanting to get full bubble prices again is sub optimal strategy. Of course real business folks know all this already.  :)

Comics have had run ups several times over the past 20-25 years. The first spike was the early 00s when you had the first Spider-Man and X-Men movies come out, as well as the advent of CGC grading. It was crazy selling back then - I was getting more for a ton of books books raw and CGC 9.2-9.6 than they go for now thanks to bidders like aug002 (valiant) and pastimperfekt (mainly SA Marvel, but some early bronze as well). Since I thought the market had peaked I started selling all sorts of good stuff like my EC long box including a dozen copies of Crime Suspenstories #22 for $200 - $600 since I had bought them for $40-$80 apiece. The next run up was around the Avengers and GL movie releases. You had New 52 and a bunch of hot Image titles on the modern front, and all of those $400-$600 mid grade SC #22s and Avengers #1s became $1200-1500 (or more) books within a month. The success of the Avengers seemingly sent all SA keys off again, and BA shortly followed. There as a nice run up in 2015 with widespread speculation on all sorts of movie related properties. Heck, even B&B #28 was a hot book back then. Even with the recent bursting of the Covid bubble, a lot of keys are up 50% or more (Copper keys have done better % wise) from pre-Covid levels in 2019. 

As far as new readers, based on financials of stores I have looked at buying/investing in over the past few years, it follows economic cycles where the 5-10-20 year rules still hold for the most part. For one store that was around since 1999, the big jumps in new files and sales were 2002, 2007, 2011  and then 2015. I looked at their books in 2019 so I do not know how the past couple of years were, but I would imaging 2021 was a good one based on what other store owners have told me. 

On 11/11/2022 at 9:36 PM, darkstar said:

It absolutely is true. You can search this forum and map exactly when various artists and variants became a thing. 

Catwoman 51 wasn't a hot thing on the secondary market until the early 2010s. And the other Hughes Catwoman covers weren't a thing until several years after that. Incentive variants selling for significant money wasn't a thing pre-2010 despite the fact that they had been around awhile. 

I'd have to agree. I got my copy from my LCS, bought it off the stands, it was mixed in with the other copies, and wasn't the only variant on the stand. I held onto it as I was a LOSH and AH collector at the time. I sold off most of my collection around the time I moved in with my then girlfriend, and before we bought our house. So, between 2008 and 2012, and I remember when I sold this book I was amazed that I got like $25 for it. Had no idea it was "so valuable" at the time. 

On 11/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Lpgk said:

the thing that frightens me is, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time comics was hot was in the early 90s. I believe the comic market started to heat up again in 2013 or so. I can't want 30 years for this to come around. 

I suspect prices will gradually rise over the next couple years as inflation recedes. But what we saw in 2021 will likely not be seen again. That was the perfect storm.