• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, manetteska said:

Did you change your setting or something behind the scenes flipped specific user's avatars?

The initial with color is the default setting :)

Instead of no avatar, and I believe management did that. :)

On 10/19/2022 at 3:31 PM, 1Cool said:

Here is the cold (ice cold facts:

2022 Total E-Bay Sales for the last 3 month were 40% of what they were in 2018/2019 and almost 20% of what they were in 2020/2021.  I went back 10 years and this year is by far the worst it has been.  Anyone else who has been selling for a while willing to look back and report how bad this year has been?

I’ve bought and sold a lot on ebay over the last 20 plus years. Bought and sold elsewhere for 40 plus. This has been one of the best times to buy that I can remember. 

It’s also a great time to buy collections. The last 2 years were great for flipping. This year, people are just dumping like prices will never go back up. They always go up over time though we do have periods like these that last a year…or three hahaha.

Bronze to Modern age books have been the best books to buy  imo. We have a plethora of people on all forms of social media and YouTube  suggesting Silver age is the only way to go. Maybe so but its a little more risky when everyone thinks the same way. I’ve always had much better results with the newer stuff. 

Enjoy the buying opportunities because nothing too good or too bad lasts too long. 

On 10/24/2022 at 7:01 PM, the authority said:

I’ve bought and sold a lot on ebay over the last 20 plus years. Bought and sold elsewhere for 40 plus. This has been one of the best times to buy that I can remember. 

It’s also a great time to buy collections. The last 2 years were great for flipping. This year, people are just dumping like prices will never go back up. They always go up over time though we do have periods like these that last a year…or three hahaha.

Bronze to Modern age books have been the best books to buy  imo. We have a plethora of people on all forms of social media and YouTube  suggesting Silver age is the only way to go. Maybe so but its a little more risky when everyone thinks the same way. I’ve always had much better results with the newer stuff. 

Enjoy the buying opportunities because nothing too good or too bad lasts too long. 

Dealers saying they are not buying since prices are pretty much tanking except for a few book.  eBay sellers saying it’s the best buying opportunity in over a decade - anyone else feel like that sounds like a crash?

On 10/24/2022 at 6:19 PM, 1Cool said:

Dealers saying they are not buying since prices are pretty much tanking except for a few book.  eBay sellers saying it’s the best buying opportunity in over a decade - anyone else feel like that sounds like a crash?

Could be.

2009 through 2102, maybe even 2013,  worked out well for buying and later selling too. It was slower but the only time that I remember what I’d call a crash would be the mid to late 90s. There was never a better time for buyers than then. 

Anecdotally, last year was the first year of the 2000s that selling comics accounted for over 10% of my income so I’m definitely more the collector than a retailer. It was a once in a lifetime kind of thing. That said, always been lucky and mostly stayed ahead of trends. Gut says buy. 

On 10/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, the authority said:

Silver Age is okay, but much more expensive that late Bronze and Copper to buy. Due to acquisition costs, the late BA and CA books/collections generate a higher ROI right now IMHO.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:36 AM, kimik said:

Silver Age is okay, but much more expensive that late Bronze and Copper to buy. Due to acquisition costs, the late BA and CA books/collections generate a higher ROI right now IMHO.

I always think of Silver Age and earlier as a keep and hold type of investment and look at Copper/Modern as buy and flip

Bronze is a little of both

eBay sales have been sporadic and mostly selling with offers, as opposed to the stated buy it now price

On 10/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, cavecarson said:

I always think of Silver Age and earlier as a keep and hold type of investment and look at Copper/Modern as buy and flip

Bronze is a little of both

eBay sales have been sporadic and mostly selling with offers, as opposed to the stated buy it now price

Too much initial cost for me with too many problems missing centerfolds, ads cut out and so on. I avoid unless a deal falls in my lap.

I see shows all the time where dealer buys big book and it sits. I prefer inventory turnover.

Edited by fastballspecial

Slabs are still moving for me this week, but raw books have slowed. Most of the sales are Copper which seems to be the place to be. Modern books are more hit and miss. with SA and BA in the $200-$300 range being the only sellers recently.

We have two local one day shows this Sunday and the next one coming up. I am curious to see how books sell at them. If it follows suit from the Edmonton Expo in September, Copper and Modern will move well, with only a handful of SA and BA books going. That is fine with me - I would rather hold the SA and BA stock I have as it was accumulated at much lower cost levels. That being said, with the way prices are coming off now it may be time to go after SA and more expensive BA in 2023.

In a weird twist, these have been some of my best few weeks in sales on eBay in months.

Just sold a comic for $175 I paid $4 for that I listed at $400 for a joke to match someone else's listing. Granted it's a rare comic, but a very tiny market.

Edited by Tnexus

On 10/25/2022 at 10:30 PM, Tnexus said:

In a weird twist, these have been some of my best few weeks in sales on eBay in months.

Just sold a comic for $175 I paid $4 for that I listed at $400 for a joke to match someone else's listing. Granted it's a rare comic, but a very tiny market.

What’s the comic?

On 10/26/2022 at 1:30 AM, Tnexus said:

Thanks for the info.  I have seen a shift over the last couple months on E-Bay where it seems like people are paying good prices for the odd and rare books whereas common books are ice cold.  This seems like a good thing in some ways since the odd book buyers are probably hardcore collectors.  Glad you had a good week.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:30 PM, Tnexus said:

Street Fighter II #1 3rd Print.

Thanks. I have to check which printings I just landed in a collection. 

The Malibu Mortal Kombat run from the mid 90s has some pricey books as well. All of that peak/just after peak 90s print run drek is now gold. :flipbait: