• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, gradejunky said:

My sales have been poor the last 4-5 months.  I sell mostly modern.  A few weeks ago I had 2 weeks in a row where I did $100-200 in net sales.  Theses last 2 weeks, basically nada again.  I've noticed much better traffic and watchers on OOP HC/Omnibus/TPB listings I have.  These OOP omnibuses and HC's, especially Marvel omnis and Dark Horse/Image library type editions are easy sales after they dry up from all the major discount houses like In Stock Trades/Organic Priced Books etc.  I have multiple sales from the last year that are omnis or library editions that I have sold for waay more than I paid.  The buy in and hold is the issue here as you have to spend $50-80 on pre-order for most of the Marvel omnis.  Much more $ to tie up for a longer period.  But the payoff is good.  I sold a duplicate sealed copy of the SW Old Republic DM cover omni about 5 months ago for $215 shipped.  I landed that book for about $70, so I netted about $100 after the cost of the book and fees.

The DH/Image library editions can do great, and the buy in is way lower.  Most can be had on pre-order from DCBS for about $20-30 with the heavy discount.  I have another copy of the Alien vs Pred. complete OG series HC up right now with tons of views and at least 1 watcher.  I landed those for around $25 a piece and have this copy up for $115 shipped.  It will probably sell soon.

Again, just more $ upfront than single comics and a much longer hold time in most cases; but the inflated price is almost inevitable if they go OOP with no reprint solicited.

The Seven to Eternity library edition came out and was dry very quickly for some reason.  There may have been allocations?  I only ordered 1 for my PC.  Didn't think this would sell out instantly, and I do not think a reprint is solicited yet.  I would have waited until the copies were starting to get thin and ordered a few more when the time came, probably.  Alas, it has asking prices of up to $200, though some sub-100 stragglers are popping up.

I sell graphic novels to feed my original art addiction and there’s good profit to be made, but, you’re correct by saying you have to buy and sit on them. I have a lot of cash tied up in omnibuses and other pricey editions, but the majority of those will sell for triple what I paid. Eventually.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lpgk said:

Only raw comics up to about $100 is selling. I don't sell any slabs, as most are higher dollar value. I used to sell a decent amount on Shortboxed, the last 6 months have been crickets. 

I'm acutally selling a ton of Spawn 1s, getting $60-100 for NM+ raws. I love Todd and how he keeps himself relevant in the news cycle. The guy is a master promoter, I'll give him that. 

Spawn 1 is $200-$225 ballpark in GPA in 9.8

And good for $75 to $100,shipped  in CGC 9.6.

How are you getting the equivalent of full GPA on 9.6 for raw NM+ copies?

Actually, if one factors in grading cost, you are making around 200% profit of what sellers of CGC 9.6's are selling at.

Can you please post up your ebay ID so I can take a look at how you're doing this?

I'm guessing buyers are paying up to $100 for copies you have as NM+, thinking they will pull a 9.8 on it after subbing it to CGC.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:37 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m hoping to send a small stack of books to MCS next month & give them a try.:wishluck:

MCS has books of mine slated for consignment which I bought from them directly as far back as August, and included notes with my payments marking them as to be consigned/not shipped to me, sitting somewhere.

They recently listed 2 books from 1 MCS buy  from mid september, which I noted was to be held for consignment, and there's at least a dozen other books, bought before those 2 they posted, directly from MCS & held for consignment.....

If books arent already scanned in, it seems like the waiting period is about 2 months.

And with Mycomicshop setting up at Baltimore this weekend and accepting consignments there, one woud have to think books subbed to MCS at Baltimore, for the most part, won't be listed for a good 2 months, if not longer, on average.

However, MCS did list 2 books which I bought directly and had held for consignment, within a week or so of purchase....however, theey each had FC scans in the original listings, so no scans had to be taken.

TL;DR.....now is not the best time to consign w/mycomicshop, if you want your books available for buyers during the x-mas shopping season.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:23 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

Actually, if one factors in grading cost, you are making around 200% profit of what sellers of CGC 9.6's are selling at.

Can you please post up your ebay ID so I can take a look at how you're doing this?

I'm guessing buyers are paying up to $100 for copies you have as NM+, thinking they will pull a 9.8 on it after subbing it to CGC.

You hit it on the head. People are getting them signed and graded, hoping to get 9.8s. It's not worth my time to do so. I sent in 10 in the past year and got 9 out of 10 at 9.8. But I couldn't even sell them at $200; it started to move at $180. Not worth the time and hassle to squeeze an extra $30 of them. There are tons of these out there, I started off with a whole short box before the pandemic and they have been steady sellers. 

On 10/26/2022 at 10:37 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

MCS has books of mine slated for consignment which I bought from them directly as far back as August, and included notes with my payments marking them as to be consigned/not shipped to me, sitting somewhere.

They recently listed 2 books from 1 MCS buy  from mid september, which I noted was to be held for consignment, and there's at least a dozen other books, bought before those 2 they posted, directly from MCS & held for consignment.....

If books arent already scanned in, it seems like the waiting period is about 2 months.

And with Mycomicshop setting up at Baltimore this weekend and accepting consignments there, one woud have to think books subbed to MCS at Baltimore, for the most part, won't be listed for a good 2 months, if not longer, on average.

However, MCS did list 2 books which I bought directly and had held for consignment, within a week or so of purchase....however, theey each had FC scans in the original listings, so no scans had to be taken.

TL;DR.....now is not the best time to consign w/mycomicshop, if you want your books available for buyers during the x-mas shopping season.

My average time from receipt by MCS to being available to price has been about a month. 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:11 PM, kimik said:

Thanks. I have to check which printings I just landed in a collection. 

The Malibu Mortal Kombat run from the mid 90s has some pricey books as well. All of that peak/just after peak 90s print run drek is now gold. :flipbait:

These did really well just before the release of the recent movie.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, Beige said:

In last 12 months sales range from 105 (lowest monthly total - but that was pre-xmas November lull which is always poor) to 214 sales in August. It's worth noting that those figures are the number of transactions - one transaction could be 1 book or 24 books.

I'm averaging about 160 transactions per month,- but I don't sell much stuff over $300 per item on ebay - I use Heritage for higher value stuff. I use a low rent auction house to shift bulk drek.

My sales are mostly TPB's, Hardback Graphic Novels, or comics / magazines between $10 - $20 on average

The dollar value is unchanged - but I sell cheaper stuff.

It's my hobby, and I enjoy it, much better than smoking or owning a racehorse. 

The biggest change - nobody, and I mean nobody are letting even modest collections go as people still think 'the good times' will come rolling back.

They won't, and until peeps recognise that they missed the boat / overpaid / bought poorly then they won't be shaken loose for some time.

2c

Yes many have overpaid and are realizing that now, because they resell it. 
Ive had the same problem two collections decided to keep it after I made decent bulk offers. 
They are realizing if they want to make decent profit they will have to do it themselves and
many still wont because they bought when prices were really up.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

I think this happens a lot on eBay on a lot of different books when you have a raw that's on the 9.6-9.8 level - people ask for at least 9.6 money (and often get it) on raw copies, because buyers think they can take a shot and press it into a 9.8. So as a buyer, you can buy a 9.6 graded for say $80, and that's what you have - the limit is capped. Or you buy a raw on the 9.6-9.8 border for $80, and if it can hit a 9.8, you've made some money in value, even after grading. As long as the grade is truly in that 9.6-9.8 range on the raw, I definitely don't fault the sellers on this - the difference between a solid 9.6 and a 9.8 can often come down to the grader. There are definitely sellers who list at "NM+" when they know (or should know at least) that their book is a 9.2 or worse, and those are the sellers I have an issue with. But the trend of raw, high-grade books selling for more than a graded 9.4-9.6 isn't new by any means. I'm not a risk-taker; I bought a CGC 9.6 Spawn 1 for $75 and I'm happy to own it, but I get why the trend happens.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 10/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I think this happens a lot on eBay on a lot of different books when you have a raw that's on the 9.6-9.8 level - people ask for at least 9.6 money (and often get it) on raw copies, because buyers think they can take a shot and press it into a 9.8. So as a buyer, you can buy a 9.6 graded for say $80, and that's what you have - the limit is capped. Or you buy a raw on the 9.6-9.8 border for $80, and if it can hit a 9.8, you've made some money in value, even after grading. As long as the grade is truly in that 9.6-9.8 range on the raw, I definitely don't fault the sellers on this - the difference between a solid 9.6 and a 9.8 can often come down to the grader. There are definitely sellers who list at "NM+" when they know (or should know at least) that their book is a 9.2 or worse, and those are the sellers I have an issue with. But the trend of raw, high-grade books selling for more than a graded 9.4-9.6 isn't new by any means. I'm not a risk-taker; I bought a CGC 9.6 Spawn 1 for $75 and I'm happy to own it, but I get why the trend happens.

What cracks me up is when a buyer pays that money for a book without a grade just pictures. 

Please no excuses from sellers that dont want to grade and ask the same amount of money for the same book I graded. You will get zero sympathy from me.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 10/31/2022 at 1:28 AM, fastballspecial said:

Yes many have overpaid and are realizing that now, because they resell it. 
Ive had the same problem two collections decided to keep it after I made decent bulk offers. 
They are realizing if they want to make decent profit they will have to do it themselves and
many still wont because they bought when prices were really up.

Agreed. We are in the middle of a very bearish period. If people can afford to hold on to those rare variants etc, they will make their money back. However, it is a long game.

the thing that frightens me is, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time comics was hot was in the early 90s. I believe the comic market started to heat up again in 2013 or so. I can't want 30 years for this to come around. 

On 11/11/2022 at 6:31 AM, Lpgk said:

the thing that frightens me is, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time comics was hot was in the early 90s. I believe the comic market started to heat up again in 2013 or so. I can't want 30 years for this to come around. 

I don't think it will be as bad as all that. Yes, we are undergoing a period of readjustment, but we've just been through a global event. 

Barring the outbreak of war, I think consumer confidence will be restored sooner rather than later. I do think some sellers may need to be more realistic about prices, but that will happen organically.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, World Devourer said:

I don't think it will be as bad as all that. Yes, we are undergoing a period of readjustment, but we've just been through a global event. 

Barring the outbreak of war, I think consumer confidence will be restored sooner rather than later. I do think some sellers may need to be more realistic about prices, but that will happen organically.

I don’t know when or what it will take. I remember when I had 10 sales in a day now I’m struggling to sell 10 items a week lol.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:31 PM, Lpgk said:

Sometimes you have to zoom out to get the whole picture...
Unless you purchased everything you own during 2020 to late 2021 (or chased spec books at their peak) you should be fine.

This was previously posted in a different thread in Comics General (Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???)

Below I pulled up September 2019 - 2022 to compare my personal collection's value for insurance purposes.

Then filtered only books that have remained constant that entire time period.
(37 out of 50)

2019 to 2020     24.62% increase
2020 to 2021     31.68% increase
2021 to 2022     7.72% decrease

2019 vs 2022     51.43% increase