• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, gradejunky said:
On 1/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, the blob said:

Getting excited about a book getting up to $8-10 feels so 2001.

Exactly my sentiment.  I will take $20 if it comes easy, though.

I posted my pair of 9.0s to Ebay with a $40 BIN :wishluck:

I’m trying to get caught up on the Zdarsky run of Batman so tracking down singles or lots. Realized the second print of Batman 125 with Failsafe on it is doing well. 

without spoiling anything for me is this a 1st app. worth getting?

E54953C7-E4F1-43EA-A717-1C20D650461F.png

Edited by JoeBrrr
Forgot pic

On 1/14/2023 at 1:02 PM, JoeBrrr said:

I’m trying to get caught up on the Zdarsky run of Batman so tracking down singles or lots. Realized the second print of Batman 125 with Failsafe on it is doing well. 

without spoiling anything for me is this a 1st app. worth getting?

E54953C7-E4F1-43EA-A717-1C20D650461F.png

I've been collecting the run for awhile, so I guess it depends on what "worth getting" means to you - if you just want to read it and have the run, then I'd say it's worth getting, but probably not chasing the 2nd print 1:25 unless you really like collecting variants like that. If you want a compromise, the actual 1st cover of Failsafe was on a 1st print, something like "cover g" [Edit - I guess it's "Cover M"] or something along those lines (so many covers!). It popped for a bit right when it came out, but you can get it for $8 now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195353772712

If you mean worth getting from a spec standpoint, I don't know. It's a modern DC "key" first appearance - even if it is in Batman, they're almost never worth getting if you have to pay secondary for them. Even Punchline settled back to lower prices from some bigger highs at this point.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

If you mean worth getting from a spec standpoint, I don't know. It's a modern DC "key" first appearance - even if it is in Batman, they're almost never worth getting if you have to pay secondary for them. Even Punchline settled back to lower prices from some bigger highs at this point.

Unless you wait 20 years . . . but hey, if you've got other plans :shiftyeyes: 

On 1/14/2023 at 2:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I've been collecting the run for awhile, so I guess it depends on what "worth getting" means to you - if you just want to read it and have the run, then I'd say it's worth getting, but probably not chasing the 2nd print 1:25 unless you really like collecting variants like that. If you want a compromise, the actual 1st cover of Failsafe was on a 1st print, something like "cover g" [Edit - I guess it's "Cover M"] or something along those lines (so many covers!). It popped for a bit right when it came out, but you can get it for $8 now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195353772712

Right now $8 for the #125 cover M variant is still decent considering most recent modern 1st apps that were at higher prices last year for both Marvel and DC have corrected. 

There are a number of 1st apps from the Tynion run until now that are worth having a few copies for the long run. I love the Mattina B cover to Batman #102 (1st cover and full appearance of Ghost Maker) and even though I have a decent pile I will still pick them up when I can get them for cover or less:

Batman #102B

Edited by kimik

On 1/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I went for a cheaper VF+/NM- set since I just want to read the series and get caught up. I actually like the Alec Ross variant of 125 a lot so I’ll likely get that in a slab anyways. Thanks for the input though!

On 1/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Batman 89 is still free money if you can find it.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:52 AM, Jackhartmann said:

The  Last of Us is now on HBO. The Comic book four issue series is getting expensive. 

I sold the four series on the announcement of a TV show a few year. 

I have a #1  buried in the boxes. 

Ive sold a few trades of it the last year they sell well as well. 

The print run for the series is really low so I can see them increasing in price.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:13 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Holy Hell…the Jack White variant (open order) for today’s World’s Finest…

Wow...a completely but-ugly cover IMO.  $70+ auctions with 6 days to go.  I would never had pre-ordered that book just based on a cover spec.  This market is nuckin futs.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, gradejunky said:

Wow...a completely but-ugly cover IMO.  $70+ auctions with 6 days to go.  I would never had pre-ordered that book just based on a cover spec.  This market is nuckin futs.

I had my shop pull a copy because Jack White fans and most music fans can be a bit nuts with collecting their stuff.

I don’t feel comfortable stating how much I paid for the Deftones screaming kitty promo tape for their first album with two songs on it back in the day (~2003 or 2004), so I guess I can relate to some of these people. Granted, it did have an unreleased Smiths cover (up to that point)…but still. lol 

Not sure if I feel worse for what i paid for it in 2003-2004, or for what it potentially sells for now since I sold it a while ago (pre-covid, pre-cassette revival)

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/18/2023 at 9:22 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I had my shop pull a copy because Jack White fans and most music fans can be a bit nuts with collecting their stuff.

I don’t feel comfortable stating how much I paid for the Deftones screaming kitty promo tape for their first album with two songs on it back in the day (~2003 or 2004), so I guess I can relate to some of these people. Granted, it did have an unreleased Smiths cover (up to that point)…but still. lol 

Not sure if I feel worse for what i paid for it in 2003-2004, or for what it potentially sells for now since I sold it a while ago (pre-covid, pre-cassette revival)

Wait, there is a cassette revival?