• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2023 at 9:34 AM, gradejunky said:

Wait, there is a cassette revival?

Yeah. Not as publicized as when vinyl made a comeback, but people are shelling out for cassettes. Start stockpiling your CDs now lol only a matter of time. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:34 AM, gradejunky said:

Wait, there is a cassette revival?

You can guarantee that pretty much any kind of media that exists, or has existed, has some sort of fanbase out there collecting it. Like @awakeintheashessaid, the cassette thing isn't as big as vinyl, but it definitely has made a bit of a comeback. We're seeing "collectible" rereleases on cassette, even new releases issued on the format. I don't expect it to have legs like vinyl because unlike vinyl (and cd's), cassettes degrade pretty quickly. Of course, the people collecting them are probably not really listening to them, so that is maybe not even an issue.

I buy vinyl, but I buy it to listen to. I still have a handful of CD's, mostly box sets and stuff. You can get cd's SO cheap right now, I do wonder sometimes about stockpiling them. DVD's as well. DVD is the most popular home video format of all time. If I can find them sealed for a buck or two, I may be tempted. They're not hard to find, that's for sure.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:34 AM, F For Fake said:

I don't expect it to have legs like vinyl because unlike vinyl (and cd's), cassettes degrade pretty quickly. Of course, the people collecting them are probably not really listening to them, so that is maybe not even an issue.

Same. To me, it's a lot of nostalgia with the cassettes. A capable amp (and DAC), decent set of passive speakers, and some Vinyl, CD, or lossless digital are so much better soud-quality-wise than the cassettes.  I owned the double cassette set of Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness when it was released because I didn't own a CD player at that time. I've thought about buying that album again on cassette strictly for the memories associated with it (flipping the tape, closing the walkman, fast forwarding and rewinding).

On 1/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Same. To me, it's a lot of nostalgia with the cassettes. A capable amp (and DAC), decent set of passive speakers, and some Vinyl, CD, or lossless digital are so much better soud-quality-wise than the cassettes.  I owned the double cassette set of Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness when it was released because I didn't own a CD player at that time. I've thought about buying that album again on cassette strictly for the memories associated with it (flipping the tape, closing the walkman, fast forwarding and rewinding).

Oh for sure, nostalgia is a huge part of all collecting, and I'm right there with you on cassettes memories. All of those hours on the school bus with my yellow Sony Walkman, zoning out with my tunes. Like you said, there's a lot of physical sense memory attached to it, the opening, closing, fast forwarding, etc. If I could find clean copies of the tapes I listened to the most back then, I'd pick them up and put them on my record shelf, probably. The problem is that there aren't many local shops that will carry them, and the ones that do tend to treat them as collectibles. The peddlers malls and flea markets were cleaned out a long time ago, same with VHS.

But as far as listening, at home it's pretty much always vinyl, and a few CD's, and they sound great. 

I have a decent collection of early 90's death metal on cassette.  I did know that certain cassettes were somewhat valuable, but only thought so due to the underground nature and rarity of some of them.  In the late 80's to early 90's I gave a huge stack of hard rock/hair band cassettes to my cousins husband.  Probably about 40 cassettes ranging from Aerosmith, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue etc.  Like everyone said though, they do wear out very easily.  I still have all my mid/late 90's to early 2000's underground dance music vinyl in my climate controlled storage room (again I did know that some of them have becom a bit expensive in good shape).  I would never sell my vinyl or death metal cassettes at this juncture.  Agreed though, vinyl is the best medium IMO due to the warmth of the sound, and the requisite pops and crackles inherent on them.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:13 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Holy Hell…the Jack White variant (open order) for today’s World’s Finest…

These are not advertised though, correct? The Paul McCartney one was a surprise cover until the week it was released.

I gotta admit I am enjoying watching the foil and gimmick covers in the 90s make a comeback. 
Never thought I would say that lol.

I love those Avengers foil covers I have always loved and the FF 371 is my favorite by far.
What's great is they are harder to find in high grade now. 

Easy sales in boxes. Superman 75 I think Ive sold 6 or 7 copies the last month or so and even
multiples of Adv 500 at $5+ a pop which I would have said was never ever possible again. 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:10 PM, fastballspecial said:

I gotta admit I am enjoying watching the foil and gimmick covers in the 90s make a comeback. 
Never thought I would say that lol.

I love those Avengers foil covers I have always loved and the FF 371 is my favorite by far.
What's great is they are harder to find in high grade now. 

Easy sales in boxes. Superman 75 I think Ive sold 6 or 7 copies the last month or so and even
multiples of Adv 500 at $5+ a pop which I would have said was never ever possible again. 

I love this stuff too. The early to mid 90s may not be remembered as the greatest era of comics but it was what drug me back in after a 4-5 year hiatus. 

Are you getting your typical sales this time of year or is the volume down ? I have lots of runs and sets I’d like to list. Normally, the next 8 weeks are my prime selling time but I’m a little leary of auctions right now. What’s your opinion ?

Edited by the authority

On 1/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, the authority said:

I love this stuff too. The early to mid 90s may not be remembered as the greatest era of comics but it was what drug me back in after a 4-5 year hiatus. 

Are you getting your typical sales this time of year or is the volume down ? I have lots of runs and sets I’d like to list. Normally, the next 8 weeks are my prime selling time but I’m a little leary of auctions right now. What’s your opinion ?

I never do auctions unless its something I can part with for nothing. Auctions are the bane of ebay now. 80%+ of seller problems in my opinion occur during auction selling. Some sellers do great doing auctions and have developed a clientele like Zilaf. However they are not the norm.  New sellers get killed doing auctions in my opinion. 

This is a perfect time to sell for the next few months. Cash is rolling in from refunds and people are spending it. Overall though Dec and Jan have been the best months I have had in almost a year. I hope its a good sign for the year and for my Comic Book Show in March.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:31 PM, fastballspecial said:

I never do auctions unless its something I can part with for nothing. Auctions are the bane of ebay now. 80%+ of seller problems in my opinion occur during auction selling. Some sellers do great doing auctions and have developed a clientele like Zilaf. However they are not the norm.  New sellers get killed doing auctions in my opinion. 

This is a perfect time to sell for the next few months. Cash is rolling in from refunds and people are spending it. Overall though Dec and Jan have been the best months I have had in almost a year. I hope its a good sign for the year and for my Comic Book Show in March.

I’ve come back to work here in town. Looking forward to your show 👍

On 1/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, fastballspecial said:

Agreed. It takes a fine touch to conduct an auction these days. 

Buy It Now has been the norm since the advent of CGC.

(Heh - never run an auction Lazy? :devil: )

Edited by World Devourer

The Jack White variant is the only of these recent music hype trend that I can get behind. 

also I saw a 10.0 of the Eminem cover - can anyone confirm whether these are easier grades than your average book? I doubt that’s the last 10 we see. 

On 1/21/2023 at 11:14 PM, JoeBrrr said:

The Jack White variant is the only of these recent music hype trend that I can get behind. 

also I saw a 10.0 of the Eminem cover - can anyone confirm whether these are easier grades than your average book? I doubt that’s the last 10 we see. 

After the UF4 Crain fiasco I have no confidence whatsoever in a 10.0. That grade can be bought.

Edited by fastballspecial