• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 4:01 PM, Corona smith said:

And just sold for a ridiculous amount. 

For a modern, SW 4 is a tougher book to find. 

I only found 1 copy over the years, but plenty of the others.  

I loved that mini run of SW.   Including the Aliens crossover and final issues. 

Patrick

On 1/31/2023 at 6:32 PM, Rob said:

As soon as I saw the announcement, I ran to the 'Bay to see if there were any deals on Batman 655 in 9.8.  Not a book I track, I noticed they sold recently for $160-$200, so note to self, target around $200.  Others were listed BIN for $300, but they're dreaming.  So I thought.  I checked back later tonight, and the $300's all sold, and now someone's listed a BIN for $500.  Now I'm having FOMO about not getting the $300 ones, but hoping maybe they overpaid on spec hype (only because I didn't get one).

I’d just buy the $300 now. Cut your loses. It was severely undervalued to begin with and had no media hype. It will only go up, the variant and newsie are ones to target 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:20 PM, littledoom said:

I’d just buy the $300 now. Cut your loses. It was severely undervalued to begin with and had no media hype. It will only go up, the variant and newsie are ones to target 

That's the thing, $300 has sailed.  Now they're being listed for $400 & $500, and I don't want to buy the hype.  I'd buy the next $300 I saw in a heartbeat. (Yes, I'm aware $300 is also buying the hype lol).

Edited by Rob

On 2/1/2023 at 8:26 AM, Rob said:

That's the thing, $300 has sailed.  Now they're being listed for $400 & $500, and I don't want to buy the hype.  I'd buy the next $300 I saw in a heartbeat. (Yes, I'm aware $300 is also buying the hype lol).

Your best bet then is not buying on eBay and going to a shop or elsewhere that hasn’t updated their prices 

On 1/27/2023 at 6:02 AM, bellrules said:

This might be a bit off topic, but why wasn’t the latest issue of ASM recalled? Most of the copies that showed up in my area, looked like this. Was it the same for everyone? 

EAB4448B-1997-4223-A182-D546E97386D1.jpeg

It's a mis-registration printing problem. If too many came out like that, the printer likely discounted the print run, as that is way cheaper and less labor-intensive than re-printing. I found a few on Ebay that looked normal, so it may have been missed for the first part of the run, then caught, fixed and continued with the print run. I think in the modern age, unless there is an egregious quality error, editorial or pricing problem, things like this will just be sent out.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, littledoom said:

Creature Commandos 1 2000 also heating/blowing up 

I just randomly came across that in my travels, I'd never seen it before - I was curious to what is driving that up.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, littledoom said:
On 2/1/2023 at 10:26 AM, Rob said:

Your best bet then is not buying on eBay and going to a shop or elsewhere that hasn’t updated their prices 

since both were around $200 only to begin with, do you feel these will hold value in the long run? Usually it's all sell, sell. But I could use con funds, eventually, just don't want to leave a whole bunch on the table, and then lol I might not sell at all if it becomes a "price I wouldn't ever pay to replace!" lol 

What is this called? it's not buyers remorse, but like "impending sellers remorse?" lol 

Any thoughts on this period. This is the rare time that I actually have the 9.8 and I'm not sure that I want to let it go :shy: 

On 2/1/2023 at 12:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

since both were around $200 only to begin with, do you feel these will hold value in the long run? Usually it's all sell, sell. But I could use con funds, eventually, just don't want to leave a whole bunch on the table, and then lol I might not sell at all if it becomes a "price I wouldn't ever pay to replace!" lol 

What is this called? it's not buyers remorse, but like "impending sellers remorse?" lol 

Any thoughts on this period. This is the rare time that I actually have the 9.8 and I'm not sure that I want to let it go :shy: 

Depends on if you want to keep it for your PC, and how badly you want a long-term copy (and maybe how much you paid in the first place).

I'd been wanting a newsstand CGC copy of 655 for my PC, but I hadn't gotten around to getting one. As soon as I heard the news, I went and grabbed a 9.2 CGC newsstand on eBay for $140 - a week ago I thought that was a bit high, but once the news hit I figured it was my best shot at getting one. I'm betting on the idea that the price will increase, and I could flip it if I wanted, but I won't because then I might not get a replacement down the road.

It's a tricky, subjective thing - if you paid $150 a while ago for a 9.8 and could get $500 now, and you don't care if it leaves your collection, then I'd say go for it. If you're going to regret not having the 9.8 anymore, then I'd maybe just keep it. Sure, you could sell for $500 and maybe it dips again to $300-400 and you luck out on a re-buy, but maybe it holds at $500 or goes higher if the movie goes well and the DCU takes off in a similar way to the MCU. A lot of DC books have been undervalued compared to Marvel books, and if the DCU can match the popularity of the MCU, we could finally see these books climb to new heights and actually hold their value at a new "floor." Personally, I'm glad these books are going up, but I won't sell my copies - I have plenty of other books I can sell, and I like owning these.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Depends on if you want to keep it for your PC, and how badly you want a long-term copy (and maybe how much you paid in the first place).

I'd been wanting a newsstand CGC copy of 655 for my PC, but I hadn't gotten around to getting one. As soon as I heard the news, I went and grabbed a 9.2 CGC newsstand on eBay for $140 - a week ago I thought that was a bit high, but once the news hit I figured it was my best shot at getting one. I'm betting on the idea that the price will increase, and I could flip it if I wanted, but I won't because then I might not get a replacement down the road.

It's a tricky, subjective thing - if you paid $150 a while ago for a 9.8 and could get $500 now, and you don't care if it leaves your collection, then I'd say go for it. If you're going to regret not having the 9.8 anymore, then I'd maybe just keep it. Sure, you could sell for $500 and maybe it dips again to $300-400 and you luck out on a re-buy, but maybe it holds at $500 or goes higher if the movie goes well and the DCU takes off in a similar way to the MCU. A lot of DC books have been undervalued compared to Marvel books, and if the DCU can match the popularity of the MCU, we could finally see these books climb to new heights and actually hold their value at a new "floor." Personally, I'm glad these books are going up, but I won't sell my copies - I have plenty of other books I can sell, and I like owning these.

I appreciate the perspective :) I've seen it posted, yet I don't often "live it out" in real time, due to what I own. I only considered it because I have the reg in 9.8 and the variant in 9.6. I'll probably just keep them. Depends on if emergencies come up or I want to, and yet I'm just grateful. I had to go back and watch the James announcement, because I wasn't in a place to watch it with sound when 1st posted lol 

But anyway :banana: Sounds Creative, even if the announcements of actual product seem years down the road!

I don't have 655,656 or 657 but in 655 Damian is only seen in shadows? 656 in last page he attacks Batman and he speaks? 657 he is in the cover and in the book, talks and he is named? 
So ain't 657 then Damians first appearance? Like ASM 299 is cameo and Hulk 180 is cameo.

Edited by godzilla43

On 2/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, wisbang21 said:

I was looking at a 655 variant on a site yesterday 9.8 for $400, starting browsing all the other comics on the site , looked at it again, it was sold!  They had a SS 9.6 Variant for 350 .  Grabbed that , my first SS!  Some crazy person has one on ebay SS 9.8 for 10k! :ohnoez:

If you're wondering prices or are new to the book? I bought the 9.6 variant blue label for $220, before tax was a thing on ebay and I might have over paid by $40 lol with the ongoing sales :roflmao: 

On 2/1/2023 at 12:44 PM, godzilla43 said:

I don't have 655,656 or 657 but in 655 Damian is only seen in shadows? 656 in last page he attacks Batman and he speaks? 657 he is in the cover and in the book, talks and he is named? 
So ain't 657 then Damians first appearance? Like ASM 299 is cameo and Hulk 180 is cameo.

The CGC label on 655 says cameo on 2 pages.  That sounds like Hulk 180 to me.  656 says "1st full appearance".

On 2/1/2023 at 1:44 PM, godzilla43 said:

Yeah, Batman 657 should be his 1st full appearance. In ASM 298 there is one page showing talking Venom in shadows, 299 there is two pages one in shadows, talking and in last page you see Venom and character is named. Now that Damian matters this might turn out to be another "Killer Croc" where the is so many cameos and first appearances that market just picked Batman 357 and well who cares really?!?

Edited by godzilla43

On 2/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, godzilla43 said:

Yeah, Batman 657 should be his 1st full appearance. In ASM 298 there is one page showing talking Venom in shadows, 299 there is two pages one in shadows, talking and in last page you see Venom and character is named.

I said this earlier in this thread. Plus 657 is the 1st time Daimen wears the Robin outfit.