• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

Had a guy walk into local comic shop looking for WD1 Weekly yesterday wanted to read the story. Never was into comics but he said he loves the show. I pointed him to the trades. That never happened with Valiants.

Exactly!

I'm looking forward to a time in the near future when the new TMNT movie flops b/c Bay tells some dumb story about aliens and the WD is still going strong and I will have to decide whether I should sell my WD 1 and buy a TMNT 1.

A book about turtles and a rat or a character story? Easy choice for me.

I'm looking forward to a time in the near future when the new TMNT movie flops b/c Bay tells some dumb story about aliens and the WD is still going strong and I will have to decide whether I should sell my WD 1 and buy a TMNT 1.

A book about turtles and a rat or a character story? Easy choice for me.

:roflmao: well said ... I just want to be able to have the choice ... I think we both know how we would decide :grin:

Had a guy walk into local comic shop looking for WD1 Weekly yesterday wanted to read the story. Never was into comics but he said he loves the show. I pointed him to the trades. That never happened with Valiants.

Exactly!

+1 (2?)

I think we've moved beyond the Valiant comparisons. This has become something else altogether with its multi-media presence and popularity. That's why it's more like the TMNT phenomenon than the Valiant craze at this point. How long before they announce a Walking Dead movie to expand the audience even further? The prices will stabilize and correct themselves from their highs. But I wouldn't expect a steep drop. Heck, 1 may climb up to $3-4k before peaking and correcting itself. Which means today's prices may become the average for 9.8 down the line post-frenzy. Again, I just say, don't simply dismiss this as just another bubble.

Exactly!

I don't think the guy buying the slabbed 9.8 of #19 for a grand did it so he could read the story. That's the top heavy swing in sales prices that people are talking about. Dramatic upswings beget the inverse.

Exactly!

+1 (2?)

I think we've moved beyond the Valiant comparisons. This has become something else altogether with its multi-media presence and popularity. That's why it's more like the TMNT phenomenon than the Valiant craze at this point. How long before they announce a Walking Dead movie to expand the audience even further? The prices will stabilize and correct themselves from their highs. But I wouldn't expect a steep drop. Heck, 1 may climb up to $3-4k before peaking and correcting itself. Which means today's prices may become the average for 9.8 down the line post-frenzy. Again, I just say, don't simply dismiss this as just another bubble.

Okay, how about X-Files.....great TV show, had a movie, too.

Maybe there's no "great" comparison, but my main point was/is that this cannot last forever. The latest and greatest always dies off and is replaced by something else. Will this title eventually slow down and correct, in terms of pricing? 100% guaranteed.

Exactly!

+1 (2?)

1980's GIJoe is the best analogy, IMHO.

After the 'bubble' bursts, there will still be a ton of people who enjoy WD for what it is. GIJoe still has plenty of fans, and if the hobby hadn't shrunk, leaving a relatively large print run extant, I think you'd see more value still left in the GIJoe run.

Using a stock market analogy, the rise in WD prices is more like a parabolic run up. These ultimately correct, but if the underlying stock/company has value, it usually will retain its previous trend line.

After the 'bubble' bursts, there will still be a ton of people who enjoy WD for what it is. GIJoe still has plenty of fans, and if the hobby hadn't shrunk, leaving a relatively large print run extant, I think you'd see more value still left in the GIJoe run.

Using a stock market analogy, the rise in WD prices is more like a parabolic run up. These ultimately correct, but if the underlying stock/company has value, it usually will retain its previous trend line.

Yeah, that's a fairly good analogy. Although the appeal of WD is broader among age groups. Joe was damned hot for a year or two there in the 80s. Issue 2 was the key of the run due to its scarcity, going for $100 or so iirc. Still, there are issues of Joe that command some good money (1, 21, 155, Special Edition 1) in HG some 20-30 years later. So while the heat cooled overall, several issues did retain their value or increased.

Edited by dane323

Yeah, that's a fairly good analogy. Although the appeal of WD is broader among age groups. Joe was damned hot for a year or two there in the 80s. Issue 2 was the key of the run due to its scarcity, going for $100 or so iirc. Still, there are issues of Joe that command some good money (1, 21, 155, Special Edition 1) in HG some 20-30 years later. So while the heat cooled overall, several issues did retain their value or increased.

The other thing I foresee that argues against WD being nothing more than a bubble is this: When someone asks, 20 years from now, 'what are the best comic runs ever?', I have to think WD will be mentioned.

I know I'll be rereading my WD run every 10-15 years. (thumbs u

Exactly!

+1 (2?)

Okay, how about X-Files.....great TV show, had a movie, too.

Maybe there's no "great" comparison, but my main point was/is that this cannot last forever. The latest and greatest always dies off and is replaced by something else. Will this title eventually slow down and correct, in terms of pricing? 100% guaranteed.

The X-Files TV show preceded the comic - if the TV series arose from a sucessful comic then it would be analogous. I'm not trying to be rude or dismissive, but the X-Files comparison isn't even close.

Walking Dead is a fun read but let's stop smoking the crack pipe. Pop culture and price wise, It's hot right now, but one of the best of all time? negative

Story 8 out of 10

Art 4 out of 10

I mean nothing has happened in almost 50 issues.

Walking Dead is a fun read but let's stop smoking the crack pipe. Pop culture and price wise, It's hot right now, but one of the best of all time? negative

Story 8 out of 10

Art 4 out of 10

And nothing significant has EVER happened from the big two that hasn't been reset fifty times.

Story 8 out of 10

Art 4 out of 10

And nothing significant has EVER happened from the big two that hasn't been reset fifty times.

Black goliath is still dead! :cry:

Isn't he? (shrug)

At least there was a good 23 years of Barbara Gordon and her shattered spine.

Oh, and did I mention that the first 50 issues of the Walking Dead DID happen? This fact can never be changed. No matter what happens in the series, no one who reads it will forget just how good it was at that point. Even if the art gets worse and Kirkman 's writing turns to mess, people will still read the first 50 as it's an epic story.

The pacing has sure changes in the past 50 issues or so.

But if you go back and re-read the series from start to finish I'm sure you'll like it a lot more. The reading for 10 minutes a month blows hard for this series, it's best read all together.

I read 1-48 quite often and still think it's fantastic, but nothing significant has happened since. I still read the book but it doesn't go to the top of my pile anymore unless it's a slow week.

My son reads the comic and loves the first 48 issue volume. Now when I give him the newest copy, he takes to his room, comes out a few minutes later and asks me where to put it. No wow can you believe what happened.

The show rocks though and it's the one tv show we watch religiously together.