• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

Invincible #1 has bumped a bit lately as well. the book is always up and down between 80-150. Right now, it's closer to the higher end of that.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on that book as more people outside the world of comics grow to like Kirkman's work. I think all of those trades have ads for invincible in the back and I know that the TWD Weeklies do.

i'm sitting on a hoard of super patriot doh!

Invincible #1 has bumped a bit lately as well. the book is always up and down between 80-150. Right now, it's closer to the higher end of that.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on that book as more people outside the world of comics grow to like Kirkman's work. I think all of those trades have ads for invincible in the back and I know that the TWD Weeklies do.

:facepalm:

Kirkman has written some real stinkers for sure. Don't ever try and read Savage Dragon God of War or whatever that mini he wrote was called.

Aside from Invincible and TWD and MAYBE early Battle Popes, I don't see his other stuff ever being worth keeping value-wise. I loved his stuff on MTU, UXM and Irredeemable Ant-Man though.

maybe Thief of Thieves will get caught in the TWD Kirkman explosion.and take off.

i spit on nick spencer. he should be locked in a room until he finishes infinite vacation before he's allowed to write anything else. what exactly is kirkman's involvement in ToT- smells like next to nothing to me.

Kirkman has written some real stinkers for sure. Don't ever try and read Savage Dragon God of War or whatever that mini he wrote was called.

Aside from Invincible and TWD and MAYBE early Battle Popes, I don't see his other stuff ever being worth keeping value-wise. I loved his stuff on MTU, UXM and Irredeemable Ant-Man though.

Irredeemable Ant-Man was super good times. Invincible should be doing better than it is. But as we always see, good story doesn't regularly equate to good price.

Pat

I just cannot get over the prices on Walking Dead. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, and if I still had 'em, I'd be selling 'em hand over fist.

A word of caution to those who think this is not a bubble, and that WD will continue to appreciate forever and ever...

The sales of WD are not driven by casual viewers. Casual viewers are not suddenly collecting comic books because of this show. Reading the TPBs because of the show...? Perhaps. Suddenly dropping everything to invest hundreds of dollars in the floppies based on what happens (and who appears) on TV? Very very doubtful. Casual viewers are not watching the season finale, and then jumping up, exclaiming, "Oh my God! The five second clip of that chick with the sword...I bet she's on a comic book somewhere! I have to have it! And...not only do I have to have it, but I need to pay top dollar for a high grade example...preferably signed and authenticated!"

That price jump on a CGC 9.8 from $450 pre-finale to $670 the very next day? That was sold from one comic book collector to another slightly slower comic book collector, both of them probably overcome by the universal WD hype. The only people getting whipped into a frenzy here are other comic book collectors. And, if anything, this is most similar to a game of musical chairs. We'll see who gets a seat, and who's still left holding their overpriced WD comics without a chair when the music stops.

I don't quite understand this argument. I think it's safe to say that anyone spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a comic is of the "comic book collector" variety, regardless of what the issue or title is, whether Modern Age or Silver or Golden. But collectors ARE spending thousands of dollars on certain issues and titles. I don't think you can so easily dismiss WD as another Magnus 0. If anything, it's becoming a cultural phenomenon more along the lines of TMNT. The question is staying power with those collectors.

When TMNT caught fire in the mid-80s, did the collector community have these same arguments? If so, here we are 25+ years later, and people are still spending thousands on that first issue. It's become THE key of that era (whatever era that is...the 80s generation era?). Is Walking Dead becoming THE key of this current era? If not already, it certainly seems on the verge of it. So, I can definitely see WD Issue 1 becoming THE key issue for all serious collectors to obtain for years/decades to come. It's no longer just hype. There's something more cultural behind the frenzy, unlike those Valiant days of yesteryear that came and went so quickly.

The show's casual viewers are likely reading the trades. Whereas the hardcore viewers might be jumping on the floppy bandwagon (thus the inexplicable price jumps for the Weekly reprints). But the collectors are the ones laying down the big money.

Do I think these prices will hold up? Every instinct agrees with you actually. No way these prices remain this high. But I'm just not so sure this is your typical bubble. I don't see prices coming down to less than $500 for Issue 1. Sure, supply is certainly MUCH bigger than TMNT 1. But the demand could very well become a permanent staple of this era.

Agreed! Double spit! I love infinite vacation. I think this one has a good amount of potential to explode at some point if it can ever come out with any regularity.

maybe Thief of Thieves will get caught in the TWD Kirkman explosion.and take off.

i spit on nick spencer. he should be locked in a room until he finishes infinite vacation before he's allowed to write anything else. what exactly is kirkman's involvement in ToT- smells like next to nothing to me.

What site are you going to to see print runs? I know someone posted a link to something recently, but i can't remember what it was....I bet the walking dead weekly was pretty low for the last 35 issues or so........Most shops i know went down to subscriber only after the first 20.

For those that aren't already aware:

Estimated Print runs based on orders for :

Walking Dead 19......17,222

Walking Dead Weekly 19.....4,619

Food for thought.. ;)

I really enjoyed Tech Jacket and The Astounding Wolf-Man. Though I'm sure those titles will never appreciate in value. But still thoroughly enjoyed them.

What site are you going to to see print runs? I know someone posted a link to something recently, but i can't remember what it was....I bet the walking dead weekly was pretty low for the last 35 issues or so........Most shops i know went down to subscriber only after the first 20.

Food for thought.. ;)

The site is Comic Chronicles and last few Walking Dead Weekly books had print runs between 3400 and 3900.

and what i was saying about a bad rap...you can't just discount the weeklies as just because you wish kirkman/image hadn't printed them. They're out there and they hold a value now that the original TWD has gone super nova.

It's a way for those without a ton of money to hold a small piece of the phenomenon (as long as they realize what they're buying is a reprint). And their low print run certainly will help push their collectability.

Edited by krighton

and what i was saying about a bad rap...you can't just discount the weeklies as just because you wish kirkman/image hadn't printed them. They're out there and they hold a value now that the original TWD has gone super nova.

It's a way for those without a ton of money to hold a small piece of the phenomenon (as long as they realize what they're buying is a reprint). And their low print run certainly will help push their collectability.

The weeklys are junk. :insane:

If you want to collect Walking Dead comics it is balls to the walls on in on the originals. Now who wants my #19 9.8 for $800? lol

Really though if people want to collect weeklys go for it but I myself am the type of collector who wants the real thing.

Hey thanks! That's a fun site.

Food for thought.. ;)

The site is Comic Chronicles and last few Walking Dead Weekly books had print runs between 3400 and 3900.