• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

It's no joke. Although i'm more in love with zooey. I consider Olivia "Weekend tail". :insane:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140728029389&cmd=VIDESC&index=9&nav=SEARCH&nid=50767313068

This Weekly 1 has sticky residue from a sticker being removed from the front cover???

this seller is a big fan of Olivia Munn or so I am to believe.

lol i don't get the olivia munn joke.

Yeah, i rescued 5 of these from some doosh who puts "1/2 off cover price" stickers on his books that don't sell quickly. I was glad to get them, but would rather have paid full cover than have to explain to people there is a sticky spot on the cover. Too many weird connotations associated with that terminology. I didn't really try to get the residue off. I didn't want to start doing experiments on them and figured it was better to just disclose that the little sticky spot was there. I may do an auction next week with the " 5 stickers that were on copies of walking dead weekly #1" I'm sure that would get some action during walking dead mania.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140728029389&cmd=VIDESC&index=9&nav=SEARCH&nid=50767313068

This Weekly 1 has sticky residue from a sticker being removed from the front cover???

whoa. You're not kidding. I hadn't even had a chance to check the progress. I have some up that are residue free. It would be weird if the ex sticker ones get the same as the others that don't have that sticky area. I've sold several of these the past few weeks for $40-$60 buy it nows, but the bidding seems to get crazy on these the last couple of weeks. I've talked to several customers that bought the $40-$60 priced ones and they knew exactly what they were getting. I would worry about the ones that get $200-$300 , but it seems like these weekly #1's are a good alternative for people who can't shell out $1000 for a nice #1. The fact that the books are so similar to the originals (excluding the distinctive "weekly" right there on the cover) combined with the low print runs are semi justifying these crazy town prices right now.

This might not work but have you tried Goo Gone to get rid of the sticky residue? I always use it on price stickers and it works great. You obviously need to be careful using it so it doesn't damage the book.

The price would worry me too. I sold one for 75 last week and I made sure to clearly indicate that it was a reprint and already got a positive feedback.

Yeah, i rescued 5 of these from some doosh who puts "1/2 off cover price" stickers on his books that don't sell quickly. I was glad to get them, but would rather have paid full cover than have to explain to people there is a sticky spot on the cover. Too many weird connotations associated with that terminology. I didn't really try to get the residue off. I didn't want to start doing experiments on them and figured it was better to just disclose that the little sticky spot was there. I may do an auction next week with the " 5 stickers that were on copies of walking dead weekly #1" I'm sure that would get some action during walking dead mania.

Adhesive residue sounds better. Oh, and any chemicals used to remove the residue may result in a PLOD if the buyer plans to slab the book.

Do not use Goo Gone it may stain.

use lighter fluid but don't soak it, your best best is wet a qtip and use that lightly to try to get it off. If done right it should not stain the paper and will not sure up on black light.

James G

Thanks for the tips guys. I actually might have use for this since i actually have some other books from the same guy with the same thing. (more walking dead issues included) IN other news, i have decided to make the Walking Dead #26 hot because it's the 1st app. of the Governor's foot prints. (or feet prints as we might say in Ga) I'm either going to put this high grade copy i have in the store at $20, or $200. Thoughts?

For those that aren't already aware:

Estimated Print runs based on orders for :

Walking Dead 19......17,222

Walking Dead Weekly 19.....4,619

Food for thought.. ;)

Indeed

Out of the kindness of my heart, I will trade my Walking Dead Weekly 19s for Walking Dead 19s as pointed out they are 4 times more rare...

I will even give 2 Walking Dead Weekly 19s for 1 (again because I am so generous).

:insane:

I just cannot get over the prices on Walking Dead. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, and if I still had 'em, I'd be selling 'em hand over fist.

A word of caution to those who think this is not a bubble, and that WD will continue to appreciate forever and ever...

The sales of WD are not driven by casual viewers. Casual viewers are not suddenly collecting comic books because of this show. Reading the TPBs because of the show...? Perhaps. Suddenly dropping everything to invest hundreds of dollars in the floppies based on what happens (and who appears) on TV? Very very doubtful. Casual viewers are not watching the season finale, and then jumping up, exclaiming, "Oh my God! The five second clip of that chick with the sword...I bet she's on a comic book somewhere! I have to have it! And...not only do I have to have it, but I need to pay top dollar for a high grade example...preferably signed and authenticated!"

That price jump on a CGC 9.8 from $450 pre-finale to $670 the very next day? That was sold from one comic book collector to another slightly slower comic book collector, both of them probably overcome by the universal WD hype. The only people getting whipped into a frenzy here are other comic book collectors. And, if anything, this is most similar to a game of musical chairs. We'll see who gets a seat, and who's still left holding their overpriced WD comics without a chair when the music stops.

I don't quite understand this argument. I think it's safe to say that anyone spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a comic is of the "comic book collector" variety, regardless of what the issue or title is, whether Modern Age or Silver or Golden. But collectors ARE spending thousands of dollars on certain issues and titles. I don't think you can so easily dismiss WD as another Magnus 0. If anything, it's becoming a cultural phenomenon more along the lines of TMNT. The question is staying power with those collectors.

When TMNT caught fire in the mid-80s, did the collector community have these same arguments? If so, here we are 25+ years later, and people are still spending thousands on that first issue. It's become THE key of that era (whatever era that is...the 80s generation era?). Is Walking Dead becoming THE key of this current era? If not already, it certainly seems on the verge of it. So, I can definitely see WD Issue 1 becoming THE key issue for all serious collectors to obtain for years/decades to come. It's no longer just hype. There's something more cultural behind the frenzy, unlike those Valiant days of yesteryear that came and went so quickly.

The show's casual viewers are likely reading the trades. Whereas the hardcore viewers might be jumping on the floppy bandwagon (thus the inexplicable price jumps for the Weekly reprints). But the collectors are the ones laying down the big money.

Do I think these prices will hold up? Every instinct agrees with you actually. No way these prices remain this high. But I'm just not so sure this is your typical bubble. I don't see prices coming down to less than $500 for Issue 1. Sure, supply is certainly MUCH bigger than TMNT 1. But the demand could very well become a permanent staple of this era.

The trend is your friend....until the curve at the end.

Expect TWD to fall as Pre-Unity Valiants did. :eek:

I just cannot get over the prices on Walking Dead. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, and if I still had 'em, I'd be selling 'em hand over fist.

A word of caution to those who think this is not a bubble, and that WD will continue to appreciate forever and ever...

The sales of WD are not driven by casual viewers. Casual viewers are not suddenly collecting comic books because of this show. Reading the TPBs because of the show...? Perhaps. Suddenly dropping everything to invest hundreds of dollars in the floppies based on what happens (and who appears) on TV? Very very doubtful. Casual viewers are not watching the season finale, and then jumping up, exclaiming, "Oh my God! The five second clip of that chick with the sword...I bet she's on a comic book somewhere! I have to have it! And...not only do I have to have it, but I need to pay top dollar for a high grade example...preferably signed and authenticated!"

That price jump on a CGC 9.8 from $450 pre-finale to $670 the very next day? That was sold from one comic book collector to another slightly slower comic book collector, both of them probably overcome by the universal WD hype. The only people getting whipped into a frenzy here are other comic book collectors. And, if anything, this is most similar to a game of musical chairs. We'll see who gets a seat, and who's still left holding their overpriced WD comics without a chair when the music stops.

I don't quite understand this argument. I think it's safe to say that anyone spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a comic is of the "comic book collector" variety, regardless of what the issue or title is, whether Modern Age or Silver or Golden. But collectors ARE spending thousands of dollars on certain issues and titles. I don't think you can so easily dismiss WD as another Magnus 0. If anything, it's becoming a cultural phenomenon more along the lines of TMNT. The question is staying power with those collectors.

When TMNT caught fire in the mid-80s, did the collector community have these same arguments? If so, here we are 25+ years later, and people are still spending thousands on that first issue. It's become THE key of that era (whatever era that is...the 80s generation era?). Is Walking Dead becoming THE key of this current era? If not already, it certainly seems on the verge of it. So, I can definitely see WD Issue 1 becoming THE key issue for all serious collectors to obtain for years/decades to come. It's no longer just hype. There's something more cultural behind the frenzy, unlike those Valiant days of yesteryear that came and went so quickly.

The show's casual viewers are likely reading the trades. Whereas the hardcore viewers might be jumping on the floppy bandwagon (thus the inexplicable price jumps for the Weekly reprints). But the collectors are the ones laying down the big money.

Do I think these prices will hold up? Every instinct agrees with you actually. No way these prices remain this high. But I'm just not so sure this is your typical bubble. I don't see prices coming down to less than $500 for Issue 1. Sure, supply is certainly MUCH bigger than TMNT 1. But the demand could very well become a permanent staple of this era.

Not even close to the same thing. I went through both and I made a killing on Valiant stuff. There was no show or mass media behind it and it was a much smaller company then Image. Will WD drop off, sure at some point but everything does. I remember when Ultimate Spiderman 1 was the book especially the white issue. Now not so much but it still has some strong value.

As for Valiants well they aren't to bad these days either...

James G

Not even close to the same thing. I went through both and I made a killing on Valiant stuff. There was no show or mass media behind it and it was a much smaller company then Image. Will WD drop off, sure at some point but everything does. I remember when Ultimate Spiderman 1 was the book especially the white issue. Now not so much but it still has some strong value.

James G

+1

There are little similarities between Walking Dead and the Valiant stuff. WD has a TV show, media hype, zombie craze, super low printings, and growing fanbase.

Alot of the WD stuff will drop eventually when the hype dies down, but the low printings, and general demand will keep the key books relatively strong.

I hope the people who are speculating about WD #1 dropping, didn't make the same mistake with TMNT #1.

I'm looking forward to a time in the near future when the new TMNT movie flops b/c Bay tells some dumb story about aliens and the WD is still going strong and I will have to decide whether I should sell my WD 1 and buy a TMNT 1.

James G

+1

There are little similarities between Walking Dead and the Valiant stuff. WD has a TV show, media hype, zombie craze, super low printings, and growing fanbase.

Alot of the WD stuff will drop eventually when the hype dies down, but the low printings, and general demand will keep the key books relatively strong.

I hope the people who are speculating about WD #1 dropping, didn't make the same mistake with TMNT #1.

+2 its a vague comparison at best.

Had a guy walk into local comic shop looking for WD1 Weekly yesterday wanted to read the story. Never was into comics but he said he loves the show. I pointed him to the trades. That never happened with Valiants.