• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2012 - AUGUST 23-26 in Toronto, Canada

248 posts in this topic

So my tickets came in the mail today and everything looks great. Does anyone have advice as to what door to come in on Thursday? The last two years I have come in from the North (away from the lake), is this the best way? Can a person come in from the south side?

... As for currency, since the US and Canadian dollars are almost the same, it will be $50 CASH in either Canadian or US dollars for onsite tickets. It is $55 is you pay by Credit Card or Paypal...
They have since lowered that $55 to $53. I'm pretty sure they will be taking credit card onsite, but I would love to hear from DWC and clarify this misunderstanding.

It's been over five years since I last attended this show. I have two questions:

1) Will I be able to get a general 1 day pass if I go and buy the ticket at the show for Friday?

2) Are the American dealers still charging a higher exchange rate between CDN and USD?

I need to know if I can attend the show by walking in and buying tickets, and if I should be exchanging Canadian currency to USD if the American dealers are still charging Canadians higher exchange for their books.

Thanks!

It's been over five years since I last attended this show. I have two questions:

1) Will I be able to get a general 1 day pass if I go and buy the ticket at the show for Friday?

2) Are the American dealers still charging a higher exchange rate between CDN and USD?

I need to know if I can attend the show by walking in and buying tickets, and if I should be exchanging Canadian currency to USD if the American dealers are still charging Canadians higher exchange for their books.

Thanks!

The CDN dollar is higher than USD.

So I would convert...

Even though the CDN dollar is higher because of the exchange rate, you are going to get dinged by the banks. As of today, 1.00 U.S. dollar(s) = 0.95 Canadian Dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 0.9890 (using cash rate of 4%)(Bank of Canada). I would try to either find a bank in your home city that has a better exchange rate, with less fees or take your chances. I think a lot of dealers will probably take the US at par, which will give you more bang for your buck, especially when they will be charging you everything in CDN prices. I know DWC is taking it at par. I hope that helps.

Thanks this helps. Looks like I should take out 50/50 in USD/CDN just to be safe. If the dealer gives 1:1 on CDN conversion, I will give Canadian. For the dealers that want to ding for USD, then I will use USD instead.

I don't trust that all dealers will do 1:1 as in the past I recall having to take a higher "dealer" conversion hit due to the extra time it would take to convert the dollars into USD on the dealers end.

Besides, some Canadian dealers may have books I want so it makes sense to split it up.

I won't be able to set-up my booth this year as things are still in storage from moving to Toronto. (The closer I get to Toronto the harder it seems :( )

However if anyone needs help with their booth send me a PM.

Thanks this helps. Looks like I should take out 50/50 in USD/CDN just to be safe. If the dealer gives 1:1 on CDN conversion, I will give Canadian. For the dealers that want to ding for USD, then I will use USD instead.

I don't trust that all dealers will do 1:1 as in the past I recall having to take a higher "dealer" conversion hit due to the extra time it would take to convert the dollars into USD on the dealers end.

Besides, some Canadian dealers may have books I want so it makes sense to split it up.

Everybody is going to accept money at par and if they don't, then just don't buy. Secondly the banks are going to take a nickel when you buy foreign currency from them and they are going to take another nickel when you sell back any unused foreign currency...you're losing a dime for every dollar. Nobody is going to say oh on that hundred dollar item, I need $101 CDN and if they do, tell them you'll give them a hundred dollars, or better yet, negotiate and say $90. I bet dollars to doughnuts you'll get a deal done.

Jim

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT

Exclusive Fan Expo Variant Cover

by David Finch

$12.00

a96bde714e9fbf29b60a99505835.jpg

"The special variant cover for Batman: The Dark Knight, issue #11, features a Toronto skyline drawn by Canadian artist David Finch... The special Canuck cover will be available exclusively at Fan Expo. The artwork will also be featured on convention bags and shirts." (The Toronto Star)

For those who are interested in the Stan Lee signing schedule.

STAN LEE SIGNING IN STAN LEE SIGNING AREA

(Note signing times are subject to change)

Friday signings

10:30am – 12:30pm / 1:30pm – 3:30pm

Saturday signings

10:30am – 12:00pm / 2:00pm – 4:00pm / 4:30pm – 6:30pm

DWC Meet & Greet please inquiry at the DWC Table

Sunday signings

10:30am – 11:30am / 1:00pm – 2:30pm

(ONSITE SIGNING TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE DWC TABLE IN THE STAN LEE SIGNING AREA)