• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2012 - AUGUST 23-26 in Toronto, Canada

248 posts in this topic

Thanks this helps. Looks like I should take out 50/50 in USD/CDN just to be safe. If the dealer gives 1:1 on CDN conversion, I will give Canadian. For the dealers that want to ding for USD, then I will use USD instead.

I don't trust that all dealers will do 1:1 as in the past I recall having to take a higher "dealer" conversion hit due to the extra time it would take to convert the dollars into USD on the dealers end.

Besides, some Canadian dealers may have books I want so it makes sense to split it up.

Everybody is going to accept money at par and if they don't, then just don't buy. Secondly the banks are going to take a nickel when you buy foreign currency from them and they are going to take another nickel when you sell back any unused foreign currency...you're losing a dime for every dollar. Nobody is going to say oh on that hundred dollar item, I need $101 CDN and if they do, tell them you'll give them a hundred dollars, or better yet, negotiate and say $90. I bet dollars to doughnuts you'll get a deal done.

Jim

Makes sense, just don't take euros

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to head out Thursday afternoon after deciding that by Friday some of the good books could be gone. The gates open at 4:00 p.m. on Friday and I don't have fast track tickets. I will need to buy them at the gate. What time do people recommend I get in line to buy my ticket and be one of the first few people on the convention floor for 4:30 p.m. at the latest?

I am thinking 3:00 p.m., but maybe earlier? I read in years past it was way busy and took hours to get in.

Hey Kevin, is there any chance of one year moving away from the plastic wristbands that need to be kept on for all 4 days? I dunno, badges with printed names on them and do random id checks or something? They're just a pain in the butt. At the last 2 day show, my wrist got snagged on a piece of stairway and tore my band and on the Sunday after that, Tiz wouldn't let me back into the show so I had to buy a 2 day admission on Saturday then a one day admission on the Sunday.

Honestly, if you line up at noon, that might still not get you in for your timeframe. :foryou:

Jim

lol

I got more information from a friend who went last year on the Thursday and told me it's NUTS trying to get tickets and into the show. I spoke with one of the dealers today and they pretty much told me to go in the morning on Thursday and not in the afternoon. Looks like I will be on my feet all day even before I walk the convention floor. doh!

Is it even worth going to this show now without fast track tickets?

It's been years, so what the heck you only live once. :whistle:

Expect long lines and a lot of waiting time. Last year it took me 1.5 to 2 hours to get tix, but after that I was straight in the convention. That was on the Friday. I also went on the Sunday, but already had tix. I went 2 hours before the gates opened. It took an hour to get in the building and another 1.5 hours to get in the convention, so not so bad. This year I bought the premium passes, so hopefully the line will be much shorter and faster. I plan on getting to the convention 2 hours in advance on the Thursday, 12pm and gage the rest of my weekend from there.

Anybody have any suggestions on the best time to lineup for the Stan Q&A to guarantee a seat?

Which is what I have. I wanted to avoid the crowds this year. I'm hoping to get done a lot of the things on my list on the Thursday and hope to take it easy the rest of the weekend. We will see. I still plan on getting there 1-2 hours in advance, so I can maximize my time and beat the lines.

The gates open at 4:00 p.m. on Friday...

I think you made a mistake with this statement. Doors open at 4pm on THURSDAY, unless you have the Premium pass, or bought the Deluxe pass in advance.

Yes I meant Thursday that gates open not Friday. My bad!

Too bad you can't buy tickets still online for the fast track, ah well. I will just have to wait in line in 2 days.

Jason, correct me if I'm wromg but Premium pass holders (especially those that got their wristbands already in the mail) should have NO wait times or line-up. That is the purpose of the paying for the Premium, yes.

Heaven help the door workers if they don't know where I need to enter when I arrive at 1:45.

Hey Kevin, is there any chance of one year moving away from the plastic wristbands that need to be kept on for all 4 days? I dunno, badges with printed names on them and do random id checks or something? They're just a pain in the butt. At the last 2 day show, my wrist got snagged on a piece of stairway and tore my band and on the Sunday after that, Tiz wouldn't let me back into the show so I had to buy a 2 day admission on Saturday then a one day admission on the Sunday.

Nary a dollar left on the table. :foryou:

Jim

From my experiences with Premium passes, you still have to line up. There will ALWAYS be a line for them, because there are 1500 people that bought them. Premium pass holders do have a separate line, from deluxe pass holders, and from single day ticket holders. Granted, all 1500 Premium pass holders may not be in line at one time, but a pretty good chunk of them will be, so don't think you can line up at 1:45pm, walk right into the con floor at 2pm.

Keep in mind, Deluxe pass holders that bought in advance, also get in at 2pm. So, expect the Deluxe pass holders to also be very nearby.

If I remember correctly, they started letting both the Premium pass line, and the Deluxe line, in at the same time, last year. About 15-30 minutes before show floor doors opened, they started bringing the lines downstairs, and both lines got mixed up. I don't know how that will work this year, because there are tables set up in the main hallways.

I assume we are in the same line as the deluxe pass holders, which there are plenty of. As well, I didn't notice is our entrance the south entrance or the one off of front street?

South building entrance. Front street is the North building. If you are a single day pass holder, then I believe the line for that is on Lower Simcoe, south of Bremner Blvd.

Jason - the website ticket page is VERY clear. Even though deluxe and Premium both have Thursday 2pm access ONLY PREMIUM has a separate PREMIUM entrance and therefore only 1 line to worry about. I hope they have their stuff together this year because I am not waiting with Deluxe passholders.

Jason - the website ticket page is VERY clear. Even though deluxe and Premium both have Thursday 2pm access ONLY PREMIUM has a separate PREMIUM entrance and therefore only 1 line to worry about. I hope they have their stuff together this year because I am not waiting with Deluxe passholders.

Yes, you have a separate Premium entrance, at the very first doors to the South building entrance. Technically, what they stated is correct. Once you cross those first set of glass doors, the second set of glass doors, is for Premium and Deluxe pass holders.

It's what I went through last year, as a Premium pass holder. I didn't like it myself. That being said, I still was able to get to the line I wanted to be at, and ended up 2nd in that line.