• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,553 posts in this topic

:hi: Hi; Fastball yes it is real nice to find them in the wild especially one of the final ones you need to complete your set. After many attempts to win an X-Men #107 on ebay and bidding some crazy prices (at that time) and never able to do so I stumbled onto one in a comic book shop for like $18 now that was sweet. I have actually found many in the wild over the years some of my best finds was a nice Kid Colt Outlaw #205 at a comic book show for like $3 and a nice Sgt. Fury #142 at a comic book shop for around $5 :cloud9: and as recent as last year I found a few Ms. Marvel issues at a show for like $3 each so there are still some out there you just have to keep looking. :wishluck:

Shield needs to tell about his find on that the Kid Colt #219 now. :baiting:

I have found a few 35c in the wild and some 30c, just not the harder 30c like the Westerns or the Weirds. My biggest find was a Iron Man 89 for like $10 because it was in high grade.

What's the average price on that? I was told there aren't many copies floating around, so I'm wondering if it's even worth my time. I've got pretty much all the key Thanos stuff but would rather have that variant than the regular one in my collection.

Peace,

Chip

What's the average price on that? I was told there aren't many copies floating around, so I'm wondering if it's even worth my time. I've got pretty much all the key Thanos stuff but would rather have that variant than the regular one in my collection.

Peace,

Chip

It is difficult to give you average pricing on the Logan's Run books because "average" implies enough price data to come up with an average.

"On average" the book comes up for sale once a year. 2007 was an exceptional year; you might have believed that it was an "easy" 35 center, if there were such a thing. Here are the sales that I know of. Seven sales in eight years.

January 2007 ebay raw VG? $82.03

October 2007 ebay raw VG $89.88

December 2007 ebay raw VG? $36.66

May 2008 CGC 6.5 $61

January 2010 CGC 9.4 $350

May 2012 ebay raw VG?Logan's Run May 2012 sale $231.38

October 2012 ebay raw G Logan's Run Oct 2012 sale $199.99

My opinion is that in the current market, $200 is the starting price for a complete G to VG copy of the issue. There are only five certified copies. The 9.4 is still the highest graded by three grades and would easily exceed four figures in an auction.

Issue 6 is the next to last issue. Issue 7 is the last issue and there are five certified 35 cent variants in the census including two 9.6s which were both "queenangelica" books. There was also a third "queenangelica" book of that issue, but I don't know if it has been certified or not. Unfortunately, I don't think that there was an Issue 6 in the collection.

I hope this helps.

What are queenangelica books? User ID?

Yes, seller's ebay handle.

She inherited a bronze age collection from her dad She did her homework (unfortunately she used Overstreet, way too low on 35 cent variant prices and way too high for most Bronze Age books) and started listing around 80 35 centers as BINs on a weekend. A zero feedback seller listing some of the toughest Bronze Age books with no scans, only pictures, Shieldagent and I were scouring the internet to see if the pictures were ripped off. We figured that the pics were legit and along with the usual members of the variant mafia, collectors guild, and hoarders started hammering the books.

Two things then happened. The first was that we found our that the account was set up as a new adult item account. You couldn't use a credit card to complete the transaction. You could only use your paypal balance or checking account. It kind of left you having to pick which books you wanted most against your bank balance.

The second thing that happened was she figured out that no one was buying her regular books at Overstreet Prices, but the 35 cent variants were going crazy. So she promptly reneged on some of the first lots taken and doubled her prices. The result was that you now had a new ebay seller with very low feedback. I remember one lot in particular where the buyer negged her. It was a listing for Star Wars 1 and 2 35 cent variants in high grade for a few hundred dollars. The buyer was miffed when she did not complete the auction and she relisted and sold each book for much more.

The final clincher was that after the initial listing barrage, we found out that she had multiples of some of the books including at least five of Star Wars 1, most of which now reside in 9.2 - 9.6 holders. She sent one of the Star Wars 1 books to CGC to be certified and sold it on ebay. It sold for 10,000 as a BIN in a 9.4 holder. The book was promptly CPR'd and sold shortly thereafter for over $26,000 on Comiclink as a 9.6.

I bought several books from her. When I opened the box the smell of cigarette smoke was intense. Uh-oh. Shieldagent and I started calling them the Marlboro Man books. However, when the books were removed from the reeking plastic bags, they were almost without exception, fresh NM- or better white page beauties.

It has been a few years now and I am continually surprised that we haven't seen another set like it. She had no.X-Men books and apparently her dad read the Spidey books because they were mid-grade. No westerns, HB, or horror. Only superhero books and multiples of the first editions like Star Wars, Tarzan, and John Carter.

Yes, seller's ebay handle.

She inherited a bronze age collection from her dad She did her homework (unfortunately she used Overstreet, way too low on 35 cent variant prices and way too high for most Bronze Age books) and started listing around 80 35 centers as BINs on a weekend. A zero feedback seller listing some of the toughest Bronze Age books with no scans, only pictures, Shieldagent and I were scouring the internet to see if the pictures were ripped off. We figured that the pics were legit and along with the usual members of the variant mafia, collectors guild, and hoarders started hammering the books.

Two things then happened. The first was that we found our that the account was set up as a new adult item account. You couldn't use a credit card to complete the transaction. You could only use your paypal balance or checking account. It kind of left you having to pick which books you wanted most against your bank balance.

The second thing that happened was she figured out that no one was buying her regular books at Overstreet Prices, but the 35 cent variants were going crazy. So she promptly reneged on some of the first lots taken and doubled her prices. The result was that you now had a new ebay seller with very low feedback. I remember one lot in particular where the buyer negged her. It was a listing for Star Wars 1 and 2 35 cent variants in high grade for a few hundred dollars. The buyer was miffed when she did not complete the auction and she relisted and sold each book for much more.

The final clincher was that after the initial listing barrage, we found out that she had multiples of some of the books including at least five of Star Wars 1, most of which now reside in 9.2 - 9.6 holders. She sent one of the Star Wars 1 books to CGC to be certified and sold it on ebay. It sold for 10,000 as a BIN in a 9.4 holder. The book was promptly CPR'd and sold shortly thereafter for over $26,000 on Comiclink as a 9.6.

I bought several books from her. When I opened the box the smell of cigarette smoke was intense. Uh-oh. Shieldagent and I started calling them the Marlboro Man books. However, when the books were removed from the reeking plastic bags, they were almost without exception, fresh NM- or better white page beauties.

It has been a few years now and I am continually surprised that we haven't seen another set like it. She had no.X-Men books and apparently her dad read the Spidey books because they were mid-grade. No westerns, HB, or horror. Only superhero books and multiples of the first editions like Star Wars, Tarzan, and John Carter.

There was another set before hers many years ago from Ohio, but minus horrors and war only superhero. A sister was selling off her brothers collection he had bought since he was a child. He was unemployed and needed the money to bridge his next job. I personally bought from memory Human Fly, Thor, and I think Ghost Rider.

Others guys on here bought several other books and they were all beautiful. I bought an entire run of Thor to get the those books because she sold them in sets. Cosmic, SA, and um Frank I think all bought some of the books.

I regret to this day letting the X-men copies sell for over $1k (94-200 Set) to a buyer in Canada who still to this day doesn't know what he has.

I don't begrudge that ebay seller for wanting the most from her books, but backing out on transactions probably cost here more then she will ever realize.

The collections are out there most just don't know what they have and many never well.

Edited by Fastballspecial

The prices on many of her books are high, but then she has others that are reasonable if not a bargain. Very strange. How is the grading? hm

I think that FlyingDonut was writing about the variant sales listed in her feedback history. I don't think she has any 35 cent variants still listed on her website. I also don't think it can be said loudly enough. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE OVERSTREET WHEN PRICING 35 CENT VARIANTS. Here is what he is talking about. If listed today at these prices, these books would be hammered about 1 millisecond after listing.

queen_angelica_feedback_snapshot_zpse994a1f5.png

In answer to your question about grading - the books are generally, but not always, nice, typically 9.0 to 9.4 with white pages. She knows what a nice book looks like but is not a sophisticated grader.