• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,553 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]I received this recently. It took me a while to find this issue:[/font]

11346096254_0d753e292b_z.jpg

Very nice. I actually came to this thread to ask how rare this variant is, and this was the first post that popped up for me.

So... um, how rare is this variant, anyway? I checked ebay and didn't find any copies up for sale, and only one sold listing since November.

You guys must get tired to tourists like me popping in this thread every time we stumble on a price variant. :makepoint:

I have found it to be on the tougher side of average...

The price box makes it harder for the normal cherry picker to pull, so less show up, especially nice copies

That's a great point. I'm one of those people who rely on the starburst around the price to know that it's a price variant. I do have a complete list of all of the Marvel 30 and 35 cent price variants on my iPad but I rarely check for those books when I'm long box diving.

[font:Times New Roman]I received this recently. It took me a while to find this issue:[/font]

Very nice. I actually came to this thread to ask how rare this variant is, and this was the first post that popped up for me.

So... um, how rare is this variant, anyway? I checked ebay and didn't find any copies up for sale, and only one sold listing since November.

You guys must get tired to tourists like me popping in this thread every time we stumble on a price variant. :makepoint:

The price box makes it harder for the normal cherry picker to pull, so less show up, especially nice copies

That's a great point. I'm one of those people who rely on the starburst around the price to know that it's a price variant. I do have a complete list of all of the Marvel 30 and 35 cent price variants on my iPad but I rarely check for those books when I'm long box diving.

I was using the term cherry picker in a nice way too. :foryou:

Being fortunate enough to live in a distribution area for 30 centers, I often find boxes where all the obvious ones are missing, but the regular font books still remain. That leaves something for everyone I guess, but I always wish I could have got there first.

I have found it to be on the tougher side of average

You sir are a variant collector :grin: Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with this statement on the rarity of Mvl Chillers 4.

The starburst does make it easier to identify but I always hate the look of them. A nice stealth price variant like this one is so much more up my alley. :cloud9:

I almost fell over in shock when I found this last weekend:

744662179_o.jpg

How do you know which ones are price variants and which ones aren't? I mean, there are 184 of the 35 cent Marvel price variants and there's nothing to denote the difference other than the price (no starbust like the 30 cent price variants). I carry a list with me on my iPad but unless I pull that list and check for those issues I wouldn't know the difference. (shrug)

744662179_o.jpg

How do you know which ones are price variants and which ones aren't? I mean, there are 184 of the 35 cent Marvel price variants and there's nothing to denote the difference other than the price (no starbust like the 30 cent price variants). I carry a list with me on my iPad but unless I pull that list and check for those issues I wouldn't know the difference. (shrug)

The "35¢" on the variants is different on the cover then it is on the regular versions. There are a few regular 35¢ books with the same typeface, but very few. It also helps to memorize the list, or at least most of it.

744662179_o.jpg

The "35¢" on the variants is different on the cover then it is on the regular versions. There are a few regular 35¢ books with the same typeface, but very few. It also helps to memorize the list, or at least most of it.

search the list on your phone.

744662179_o.jpg

If you see a Marvel cover dated 1977 with a 35 cent price EXCEPT November and December, it is a 35 center. Easiest. Also, the 35 cent variants just look wrong - the 5 is always a little off.