• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

2012 is a very interesting year and I am not gonna let you forget that...but we need to be very careful for we are at a turning point where values might get stuck for a while.

I agree this will be an interesting year,and the two turning points that will change this hobby will be digital comics and the Walking Dead. Both will be gateways of leaving the old ways of collecting comics. 2c

I stand by my position as taken, if we start putting outrageous values on some supposed collectable...this is dangerous for all of us...and you know it

Why?

How can this price on the check have ANYTHING TO DO with any other price of a collectible? Your entire premise is flawed.

Mitch, why does the hammer price of the check bother you? I'm surprised that a one of a kind check, with all of the history behind it, sold so cheap. This was a well advertised auction with world wide media attention. I wouldn't pay $40,000 for it but there are a lot of people out there, rich beyond belief and it only takes 2 to drive the price up.

Why are you calling this the comic apocalypse and did you call the comic implosion in 1991?

The auction price on the check is no more of a surprise to me than the sums paid by Todd McFarlane for Mark McGwire's home run baseballs.

But yes, if anything you might've expected it to go higher.

Posting about the perceived inflated price of a collectable from someone whose whole rep is based on paying a perceived inflated price for a collectable is enough to make my irony gland explode.

And anyway Mitch what is your problem with Trickets? I just love trickets, doesn't everybody love trickets? Trickets are the best. Leave trickets alone! :sumo: ( Wtf are trickets? (shrug))

It is time we call these negative forces by force by Name.

So Mitch, after reading your entire post, you do not mention a single Name. Why is that? You ask board members to "out" these people yet you do not. I think there is a word for that!

It is time we call these negative forces by force by Name.

So Mitch, after reading your entire post, you do not mention a single Name. Why is that? You ask board members to "out" these people yet you do not. I think there is a word for that!

Oh, oh, I know! I know! :banana:

A check can't be worth 40k but a comic book originally sold for 10 cents can be worth 2 million?

Your logic makes no sense MMehndy.

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay. End of story.

No matter what your feelings are about it, the item is worth it if someone will pay for it.

You were called a fool for spending a lot of money for Action 1 years ago...why were you right in your purchase but others are wrong because you don't agree it's worth it?

And the only thing I agree with is the selling of a jar of hair. I thought that was creepy and gross.

Get over yourself Mitch. I know you enjoy rattling the cages in this forum. Nobody can be this stupid

Some people were upset at the S/S check. I thought it was pretty cool. I wish was cheaper or I had the disposable income to get it to tell the truth. Some of us find that type of thing amazing.

I mean what Yankee fan wouldn't want to have the actual trade contract that brought Babe Ruth to the Yankees from the Red Sox? That contract is locked up in someome's personal collection and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

On a side note, rants like these are ruining my CGC Message Board experience...

lol

It definitely tells a story, but not one everyone is comfortable being reminded of the pittance that was paid to the original creators given what's taken place over the years regarding the rightful ownership claims for the Superman character.

On a side note, and in reference to your Babe Ruth comment, a few years back, a lady brought in a 1949 (first pro season) Mickey Mantle payroll cheque to AR - it's a pretty neat story.

Check out the the original appraisal - it's an older episode and PBS doesn't provide the facility to embed it.

The video below is her reaction after she received the appraisal.

She had a few more stashed away where this one came from :o

Watch Owner Interview: Mickey Mantle Payroll Check on PBS. See more from Antiques Roadshow.

All drama aside, how can a strong price for this check be bad for the hobby? I think there is an implicit assumption or inference that I am missing. Is there some sort of fraud involved? The entire hobby is based on selling bundles of old paper with funny pictures on them, it is inherently irrational but it speaks to a commonality of the human condition that we all share. Does this check speak less to that condition? Does a restored action 1 not speak as clearly? We sit and pontificate about how people waste their money on walking dead #1s but do we ever stop and think - what are we really doing? We have created a system of exchange for memories and feelings that we all value, we have guidelines as to what these feelings should cost but sometimes there are people that are willing to pay more for a feeling or experience that more intensly with certain items. I don't always agree but I get it, I understand the joy in owning a prized collectable. I am not yet truly a rational being but I reason that if, as a human, I atain satisfaction and joy by buying old funny books, I will nurture that joy. It makes life more enjoyable. If it doesn't then I need a new hobby.

Good Post.

Spend YOUR hard earned $$$ on what makes you happy. Period. END OF STORY.

Who the heckfire are you, or anyone else for that matter, to tell someone otherwise?

Posting about the perceived inflated price of a collectable from someone whose whole rep is based on paying a perceived inflated price for a collectable is enough to make my irony gland explode.

And anyway Mitch what is your problem with Trickets? I just love trickets, doesn't everybody love trickets? Trickets are the best. Leave trickets alone! :sumo: ( Wtf are trickets? (shrug))

They are what miniature hookers turn.

I still do not like the fact that somebody would pay 150 for a restored book, its does not sit well with me. On this book, I had a real issue with 150K price.

And a lot of people don't like that all you care about is what a comic sells for. All you see is the investment side to the hobby. Why don't you collect gold coins or something and leave comics to those who like them for what they are, and not what they are worth.

You'll be a lot happier, and so will we, not having your incessant drivel cluttering up a board about comics.

Reason # 3,421 to Love Bill. :cloud9::foryou:

Mitch is great. He single-handedly pulled the stick out of the GA Forum's collective arse.

There haven't been that many fireworks over there since the Obediah Oldbuck Affair a few years back.

He's a bit of a loon, but he wipes his behind with your collection.

how can this check in our comic book world justify a price of 40K....it cannot and should not.

There are two aspects of our hobby.

We are looking at the comics itself which is the driving force.

We are also looking at comics ephemera.

Both Lines are Part of Same Hobby but Separate and will not signal the end of one or the other.

If you had the chance to purchase the desk Siegel and Shuster created and drew Superman on would you say no? What about the typewriter they used to write the stories?

What about SOTI. Its not a comic but it is part of hobby.

Don't let the existence of one dim your love of the other.

He's a bit of a loon, but he wipes his behind with your collection.

"It takes the small pee-brain mentality to call me a buffoon. I take personal offense to that comment, and just because I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection, I intend to respond to your comment."

What a buffoon.

Some people were upset at the S/S check. I thought it was pretty cool. I wish was cheaper or I had the disposable income to get it to tell the truth. Some of us find that type of thing amazing.

I mean what Yankee fan wouldn't want to have the actual trade contract that brought Babe Ruth to the Yankees from the Red Sox? That contract is locked up in someome's personal collection and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

On a side note, rants like these are ruining my CGC Message Board experience...

lol

It definitely tells a story, but not one everyone is comfortable being reminded of the pittance that was paid to the original creators given what's taken place over the years regarding the rightful ownership claims for the Superman character.

On a side note, and in reference to your Babe Ruth comment, a few years back, a lady brought in a 1949 (first pro season) Mickey Mantle payroll cheque to AR - it's a pretty neat story.

Check out the the original appraisal - it's an older episode and PBS doesn't provide the facility to embed it.

The video below is her reaction after she received the appraisal.

She had a few more stashed away where this one came from :o

Thanks for sharing that on the Mickey Mantle checks. Cool stuff.