• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

I am outing myself as the negative force that want to own that check at a stoooopid price. Please, I beg everyone to listen to Mitch's advise and stay the hell away from bidding that check any higher...please, pretty please :wishluck:

He's a bit of a loon, but he wipes his behind with your collection.

"It takes the small pee-brain mentality to call me a buffoon. I take personal offense to that comment, and just because I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection, I intend to respond to your comment."

What a buffoon.

My collection? No thanks. But I'm sure I can print out a copy of his "Mission of Purpose" that he can use instead.

Mitch is great.

All that glossy paper and inks of questionable origin? It sounds like a raging case of 'roids just waiting to happen.

And Merriam Webster called she wants to know your definition of "great" so it can be added to the entry.

I am outing myself as the negative force that want to own that check at a stoooopid price. Please, I beg everyone to listen to Mitch's advise and stay the hell away from bidding that check any higher...please, pretty please :wishluck:

So many people would want something like this. It's a great story, a footnote to history and a cautionary tale all rolled into one.

To an attorney that deals in IP, or creator's rights of any kind, the significance in these documents for what they represent to the field as a whole is just enormous.

Mitch is great. He single-handedly pulled the stick out of the GA Forum's collective arse.

There haven't been that many fireworks over there since the Obediah Oldbuck Affair a few years back.

I <3 this post.

All drama aside, how can a strong price for this check be bad for the hobby? I think there is an implicit assumption or inference that I am missing. Is there some sort of fraud involved? The entire hobby is based on selling bundles of old paper with funny pictures on them, it is inherently irrational but it speaks to a commonality of the human condition that we all share. Does this check speak less to that condition? Does a restored action 1 not speak as clearly? We sit and pontificate about how people waste their money on walking dead #1s but do we ever stop and think - what are we really doing? We have created a system of exchange for memories and feelings that we all value, we have guidelines as to what these feelings should cost but sometimes there are people that are willing to pay more for a feeling or experience that more intensly with certain items. I don't always agree but I get it, I understand the joy in owning a prized collectable. I am not yet truly a rational being but I reason that if, as a human, I atain satisfaction and joy by buying old funny books, I will nurture that joy. It makes life more enjoyable. If it doesn't then I need a new hobby.

Good Post.

Spend YOUR hard earned $$$ on what makes you happy. Period. END OF STORY.

Who the heckfire are you, or anyone else for that matter, to tell someone otherwise?

If an explanation is needed for people to be able to discern the difference between a cancelled check and a comic book, I guess I'll try to explain at the risk of plssing people off.

A comic book, in it's design - is created to entertain. It's collectibility is driven by the story, the characters, the experiences one gets from reading the stories, the introspection one can gain from the character's perspective, inspires creativity in artists and writers, and so on.

A cancelled check is a discarded bank document saved from the trashcan. At the risk of being chastised, I have to say that roping comic books into the same category of collecting as checks, stamps or coins is a complete disservice to the comic book medium. Comics have an infinite amount of depth and purpose to their being - while, at best, checks, stamps and coins serve a singular purpose, none of which is anything worth noting as inspirational, reflective, creative or noteworthy.

You're right - no one can tell others what to spend their money on - but everyone is entitled to their opinions. My opinion is get this cr@p out of CG. Checks, coins and stamps are about as boring as reading a dictionary.

I have noticed a lot of negative energy on this and the gold fourm lately. It is time we call these negative forces by force by Name. We let them dicuss and fill our minds full of negative energy. The minute anybody says anything positive they always flip it. You have gotten use to it on this site. I on the other hand are calling you guys OUT.

What is a collector vulture?....let me give you a current example of the S/S check that bought superman. They were taken to the cleaners, in fact this and the sale of Manhattan island for a box of trickets. The weapon of choice from the "collector vulture" is GREED..Now this check with S/S names spelled wrong is at something like $40,000.00. Who in there right mind thinks this is worth $40,000.00 of golden age or silver age comics or original art. They actually tried to sell some of his hair.......is that the lowest of the low....

A "collector vulture" preys on selling the lowest of the low and marketing it as the highest of the high....but the real reality is that is is worth NOTHING....Board members beware.

What is a pricing vulture? Somebody that just cannot wait to say some board member lost money. recently on the gold comics board...they were talking about a billy book that sold for 1900 and had to be dumped in a hurry for 1500...they just can not wait to say...He lost money.......Also when you talk or give your opinion about the future of golden age and positive price grown as , they jump in and call you "a cheerleader" for GA prices.

Folks, this is a very important time for all comic book collectors, but some of the stuff I have seen lately does look good. BACK ME UP HERE.....

So a pricing vulture is someone who likes to point out someone spent to much on something that is not as valuable as the buyer thought it was?

So if I said someone overpaid for a GA comic on a quick flip (for whatever reason)... Im a price vulture.

If i said someone overpaid for a comic-related-non-comic item... Im the King of Comics?

If I say someone overpaid for a GA comic that was restored... Im the King of Comics?

Do I have the rules of the game right?

If my little part of the hobby was high grade Gold Key books from the 70s am I allowed to pass a judgement of "worthlessness" on anything that does not fit into my focus?

What if my little part of the hobby is pedigreed unrestored GA comics? Same answer?

Mitch is great. He single-handedly pulled the stick out of the GA Forum's collective arse.

There haven't been that many fireworks over there since the Obediah Oldbuck Affair a few years back.

+1

The GA forum is a lot more interesting now with Mitch. (thumbs u

The funny part was the GA forum always makes fun of comics general saying how uncivilizied comic general posters act toward one another,then when Mitch started posting in GA they themselves acted at times more uncivilized than comics general. :cloud9:

+1

The funny part was the GA forum always makes fun of comics general saying how uncivilizied comic general posters act toward one another,then when Mitch started posting in GA they themselves acted at times more uncivilized than comics general. :cloud9:

"more interesting" :cloud9:

+1

To be completely fair, Mitch was given a lot of rope until he hung himself.

He makes no sense and sometimes it's important to stand up for reality rather than allow the twiligt zone to take over.

+1

He makes no sense and sometimes it's important to stand up for reality rather than allow the twiligt zone to take over.

And yet you have this strange love for Luxx. You're a living, breathing paradox. hm

+1

Mitch told me the other day that Walking Dead is a terrible read and should be canceled, and that digital comics are for losers, no real collector would pay money for something he can't make money off later.

I still do not like the fact that somebody would pay 150 for a restored book, its does not sit well with me. On this book, I had a real issue with 150K price.

And a lot of people don't like that all you care about is what a comic sells for. All you see is the investment side to the hobby. Why don't you collect gold coins or something and leave comics to those who like them for what they are, and not what they are worth.

You'll be a lot happier, and so will we, not having your incessant drivel cluttering up a board about comics.

:golfclap:

+1

And yet you have this strange love for Luxx. You're a living, breathing paradox. hm

Luxx writes terrific essays, posts cool pics of comics and doesn't pretend to be normal.

Mitch tries to pretend he knows about comics.

:insane:

It's just more of the same old egomania. Criticise and undermine someone for doing something that the critic is just as guilty of doing themselves, if not much more so.  Seen that quite a few times. Bit too Nietzsche for my tastes, acting as if the same rules don't apply to everyone and that they are above it all.

Hardly surprising I'm thinking about this when the creators of Superman are involved in the present discussion.

You're right - no one can tell others what to spend their money on - but everyone is entitled to their opinions. My opinion is get this cr@p out of CG. Checks, coins and stamps are about as boring as reading a dictionary.

Oooh! Dictionaries!!!

Heritage Auction sales:

Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language (1828)... $34,655

Samuel Johnson's Dictionary, 2 vols., (1755) ... $14,340

+1

Luxx writes terrific essays, posts cool pics of comics and doesn't pretend to be normal.

Mitch tries to pretend he knows about comics.

:insane:

Dude, Luxx is nuttier than a jar of Mel Gibson brand Peanut Butter.

...and Denial isn't a river in Africa. :makepoint:

Yeah, but that's part of his charm. You know when luxxy shows up, it's going to be fun. With Mehdy, there is no fun.

All drama aside, how can a strong price for this check be bad for the hobby? I think there is an implicit assumption or inference that I am missing. Is there some sort of fraud involved? The entire hobby is based on selling bundles of old paper with funny pictures on them, it is inherently irrational but it speaks to a commonality of the human condition that we all share. Does this check speak less to that condition? Does a restored action 1 not speak as clearly? We sit and pontificate about how people waste their money on walking dead #1s but do we ever stop and think - what are we really doing? We have created a system of exchange for memories and feelings that we all value, we have guidelines as to what these feelings should cost but sometimes there are people that are willing to pay more for a feeling or experience that more intensly with certain items. I don't always agree but I get it, I understand the joy in owning a prized collectable. I am not yet truly a rational being but I reason that if, as a human, I atain satisfaction and joy by buying old funny books, I will nurture that joy. It makes life more enjoyable. If it doesn't then I need a new hobby.

.....nice post. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...and Denial isn't a river in Africa. :makepoint:

Oh, I'm not denying that.

As Jeffro says though, you know exactly what you are getting and it's usually a lot of entertainment.