• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

That guy has some pretty sweet stuff! Was hoping to find the Greek 361... :cry:

Already checked, no dice.... :gossip: I got my Spiderwoman Greek from him.... but he shipped it in a manila envelope with no backer! :frustrated: I should have followed my own advice I always give others to ask foreign sellers to ship securely..... for some reason I didint and my book was pretty beat up! If you do pick this up Von_Doom do not forget to ask him to ship your stuff with a stiffener.... :makepoint:

That guy has some pretty sweet stuff! Was hoping to find the Greek 361... :cry:

Already checked, no dice.... :gossip: I got my Spiderwoman Greek from him.... but he shipped it in a manila envelope with no backer! :frustrated: I should have followed my own advice I always give others to ask foreign sellers to ship securely..... for some reason I didint and my book was pretty beat up! If you do pick this up Von_Doom do not forget to ask him to ship your stuff with a stiffener.... :makepoint:

I just sent them a note - hope it works. Thanks for the info.

I have dealt with him before, he will help you out even with things outside of Ebay...Kostas is a nice fellow, he sent me a few books very well packed...sort of...at least the one I wanted anyways...he used newspaper...

What a beaut book! I have always liked Scott Free... Mister Miracle was my favorite of the fourth world stuff that I have read... Like the simple contrasty cover too! Very cool book! (thumbs u

Actually, I got this more or less at the same time I bought the Mr. Miracles, and I prefer the original cover. Although I agree that in the early 1970s they tended to make the covers a little too crowded with lettering blurbs et al.

What I liked about Corno is that, since they recolored most books, they usually had a good designer when it came to choose colors.

Here there is a good color harmony between Mr. Miracle's cape and the mag logo. :)

I have dealt with him before, he will help you out even with things outside of Ebay...Kostas is a nice fellow, he sent me a few books very well packed...sort of...at least the one I wanted anyways...he used newspaper...

Thats Kostas? hm I know of him, I have talked to him before? Just didnt put 2 and 2 together for EBay..... yea, he is a real nice guy! (thumbs u

What a beaut book! I have always liked Scott Free... Mister Miracle was my favorite of the fourth world stuff that I have read... Like the simple contrasty cover too! Very cool book! (thumbs u

Actually, I got this more or less at the same time I bought the Mr. Miracles, and I prefer the original cover. Although I agree that in the early 1970s they tended to make the covers a little too crowded with lettering blurbs et al.

What I liked about Corno is that, since they recolored most books, they usually had a good designer when it came to choose colors.

Here there is a good color harmony between Mr. Miracle's cape and the mag logo. :)

Don't get me wrong I love the original cover.... I just feel like this composition, the way they reworked it is very beautiful. Like you said great color harmony just enough art and very little in the way of text to clutter it up! (thumbs u I really think the Corno books were done very well! The font for the title is pleasing as well....

Don't get me wrong I love the original cover.... I just feel like this composition, the way they reworked it is very beautiful. Like you said great color harmony just enough art and very little in the way of text to clutter it up! (thumbs u I really think the Corno books were done very well! The font for the title is pleasing as well....

It’s not a typeface. Up to the 1970s they were 100% hand lettered (both the headlines and the texts lettering). In the 1970s they started to throw in some typeset composition, because it was the fad of the day (late 1960s-early 1970s: it is cool to use typography), then they reverted to 100% handlettering in the 1980s, and then they got really low profile (last issues of "il Settimanale dell’Uomo Ragno" and the second series are often translated terribly) and then went bankrupt… :(

We had to wait until 1985, when a few things were published by Labor Comics (very rare), including some Epic stuff and the graphic novel "God loves man kills", and then in 1987 Star Comics restarted. Star Comics eventually ended up becoming Marvel Italia first, and then Panini Comics, up to now.

It’s not a typeface. Up to the 1970s they were 100% hand lettered (both the headlines and the texts lettering). In the 1970s they started to throw in some typeset composition, because it was the fad of the day (late 1960s-early 1970s: it is cool to use typography), then they reverted to 100% handlettering in the 1980s, and then they got really low profile (last issues of "il Settimanale dell’Uomo Ragno" and the second series are often translated terribly) and then went bankrupt… :(

We had to wait until 1985, when a few things were published by Labor Comics (very rare), including some Epic stuff and the graphic novel "God loves man kills", and then in 1987 Star Comics restarted. Star Comics eventually ended up becoming Marvel Italia first, and then Panini Comics, up to now.

Touché sir! That’s very interesting indeed…. Typesetting is cool but there is nothing like good ole fashioned hand lettering.

Man, you sure are a wealth of knowledge on the Italian books Vaillant! Thanks for contributing to this thread and making it one of the best of 2012! In fact thanks to all who have contributed both older guys and newer peeps!

In that spirit I will share my Diamond Indian Spiderman #1 variant both a little inside and out!

The book is numbered 5 and interestingly enough is all in Hindi except for that balloon on the cover and a smattering of English in some ads? Why they chose not to translate Spideys cover dialogue balloon while going thru all the trouble to translate the rest of the book is weird to me……

The size is smaller similar to the early Kabana Hellas Greek editions….. its not in the best shape but will be searching out more. Its clearly a newer book for the back ad has a email address on it. But, from my research I do think these newer Diamond variants were not printed in large numbers. Maybe Spidercrazy could fill us in on more info? He knows more about these variants then I do…. Enjoy!

Indian_spidermanvariant1_front.jpg

page1_indian.jpg

insidepage_indian.jpg

insidepage2_indian.jpg

insidepages3_indian.jpg

Indian_spidermanvariant1_back.jpg

Dude, the early Kabanas are NOT small...it was later series that changed. The Indian ones, have two exact sets, one in their language and the other in English, think I have the forst three Non-english, they are relatively new; number 1 is AF15 and the next three are pretty random.

Maybe they left the english balloon to keep the "exotic" foreign feeling. Japanese mangakas since the 1990s started to use english titles, or english blurbs, which IMO shows how they lack the proper background (again). You have no need to reference a language just because it's "cool". It’s childish, if that was the only reason for it.

Very curious to see a hindi publication which seems pretty contemporary with a cover with little to no graphic design, evoking 1970s design at best. That Mickey Mouse videogame ad is unreal within such a book.

I forgot: the "Super-Eroe" series was pocket-sized, while Gli Eterni was magazine sized (so was "Il Corriere della Paura", printing Marvel horror material, and "Dracula" – after the closing of the ASE series Dracula continued on these two magazines, in black and white, up to 1976. Then we never had another italian edition of Dracula.

Dude, the early Kabanas are NOT small...it was later series that changed. The Indian ones, have two exact sets, one in their language and the other in English, think I have the forst three Non-english, they are relatively new; number 1 is AF15 and the next three are pretty random.

Ahhhhh since I have never actually "held" a book from early in the Greek run in hand I just assumed they were the same format as the later books in the run? hm Thanks for the schooling Ches?! :applause:

So there were two identical runs in both languages uh? Interesting.... Do you know how far it goes into the American run? Any big keys? :wishluck: (hoping for a 129)

Maybe they left the english balloon to keep the "exotic" foreign feeling. Japanese mangakas since the 1990s started to use english titles, or english blurbs, which IMO shows how they lack the proper background (again). You have no need to reference a language just because it's "cool". It’s childish, if that was the only reason for it.

Very curious to see a hindi publication which seems pretty contemporary with a cover with little to no graphic design, evoking 1970s design at best. That Mickey Mouse videogame ad is unreal within such a book.

I forgot: the "Super-Eroe" series was pocket-sized, while Gli Eterni was magazine sized (so was "Il Corriere della Paura", printing Marvel horror material, and "Dracula" – after the closing of the ASE series Dracula continued on these two magazines, in black and white, up to 1976. Then we never had another italian edition of Dracula.

Who knows the motivation for the english? My guess is the reason you described.... to keep a American feel to it? hm

I think the Disney ad is pretty cool, by itself it could be of interest to Disney ephemera collectors....

I thought those Super-Eroe looked a little different.... unless a ruler is used its hard to acertain size from a scan.... Just like my screw-up above, I have seen all the early Greek Spidey run in scans but unless you actually have it in hand you still don't have that reference. This is one of the reasons I like displaying foreigns next to both thier American counterparts along with thier other foriegn brethren on my site. It helps to have that visual reference..... (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

So there were two identical runs in both languages uh? Interesting.... Do you know how far it goes into the American run? Any big keys? :wishluck: (hoping for a 129)

No, there were no "runs," per say; it was like 5 or six books printed, the real run, was the "Falcon" spiderman series, which I have seen very few copies of....they even printed Conan, check it out:

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_nkw=falcon+conan&_sacat=0&_odkw=falcon+spiderman&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

and of course, the very few spideys that are actually for sale

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=falcon+spiderman&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The size is smaller similar to the early Kabana Hellas Greek editions….. its not in the best shape but will be searching out more. Its clearly a newer book for the back ad has a email address on it. But, from my research I do think these newer Diamond variants were not printed in large numbers. Maybe Spidercrazy could fill us in on more info? He knows more about these variants then I do….

I have three of the Diamond Comics indian issues, but only one of them is in Hindi, the year printed inside is 1994:

003yi.jpg

The other two are with english text only and are more recent, but I can't find any year printed. Probably later than 2000. But wait, what's that?

www.diamondcomic.com

More information! Yay! Click on 'Diamond Comics' and 'Spider-man' to see more indian magazines. Maybe you can even order some from there, I don't know?