• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

Not a comic per se, but a little souvenir that came home with me from Mexico City in the spring of '87. I believe there is only one more cover under the one visable.

photo-9.jpg

These just showed up today, it took almost a month but they finally got here.

th_DetectiveComics400.jpgth_HouseofMystery182.jpg

my first comment in this great "post"...that mexican Novaro Batman-ManBat is not the Batman 400 USA...but this one

Batman_589.jpg

Well for starters let me be the first to welcome you here Gonza! :applause:

I am guessing you are a foreign collector? Gonza Arana roughly translates to crazy spider right? hm

Now, that looks like two versions of a Novaro detective 400 1st man-bat. I think the one you posted is the first Man-bat and the other one with the lasso/cape like title is a 2nd printing from the 80's or just the tec 400 cover and no insides? hm Thanks for the clarification!

Nice about that Tony 1st Kingpin... love to see a scan! :gossip:

I will post it very soon !!! :whee:

44ma5bc9.jpg

one of my favorite covers ;) of spidey

I recall those. When I was a child, and just started reading Marvels in italian, I used to see them at the sea (newsstands bought import issues for german tourists).

I believed they were the originals, in English, and I gave nightmares to my father until I convinced him to buy me some, with the excuse that "I needed to learn english".

What a disappointment when the newsstand owner told us they were in german. I tried to insist, pretending I would be motivated to learn german too, but to no avail… :sorry:

Shade the Changing Man, italian edition (my copy).

Series appeared on an unusual anthologic publication, "Il Super Eroe", at a time when Editoriale Corno was experimenting with formats and content:

IlSuperEroeNo_06_640px.jpg

"Il Super Eroe" came out side by side with "Gli Eterni" (The Eternals), also an anthology. Series featured a lot of science-fiction flavored superhero stories, specifically "Il Super Eroe" published Shade, The Challengers of the Unknown (I guess from the 1970s reprints), Isis, Star-Hunters and two of Jack Kirby's Fourth World's series: Forever People and Mr. Miracle (of which only the first episode appeared, after the title was canceled).

The other two, New Gods and Jimmy Olsen, were presented on the pages of the italian edition of Kamandi. ;)

Shade the Changing Man, italian edition (my copy).

Series appeared on an unusual anthologic publication, "Il Super Eroe", at a time when Editoriale Corno was experimenting with formats and content:

IlSuperEroeNo_06_640px.jpg

"Il Super Eroe" came out side by side with "Gli Eterni" (The Eternals), also an anthology. Series featured a lot of science-fiction flavored superhero stories, specifically "Il Super Eroe" published Shade, The Challengers of the Unknown (I guess from the 1970s reprints), Isis, Star-Hunters and two of Jack Kirby's Fourth World's series: Forever People and Mr. Miracle (of which only the first episode appeared, after the title was canceled).

The other two, New Gods and Jimmy Olsen, were presented on the pages of the italian edition of Kamandi. ;)

Nice! I would love to see the Mister Miracle issue..... that Shade is pretty nice grade by the way! (thumbs u

I was looking for these a while back, you guys have inspired me to start looking again. If you know of any other versions, please post - Thanks!

FF112sc.jpg

Here's one from Greece that's on ebay.

Link

Dude, at that price you better pick this up Von_Doom.... hm

Nice! I would love to see the Mister Miracle issue..... that Shade is pretty nice grade by the way! (thumbs u

Here you are:

IlSuperEroeNo_15_640px.jpg

Issue 15, the final one, after which the publication was canceled.

They are nice in grade since I purchased the full run, but at the time I did not read them, just the New Gods and Jimmy Olsen on Kamandi. Then I bought the full runs of Mr. Miracle and the Forever People in original edition in the early 1990s and… man, Kirby at his most occult. One may object the Fourth World is a not-entirely accomplished project, but here Jack put all his effort on the characters, not the storyline. No one has written the characters like Kirby (Starlin did an acceptable job in the Cosmic Odyssey mini-series, but nothing to do with the true epic of the original). ;)

Here you are:

IlSuperEroeNo_15_640px.jpg

Issue 15, the final one, after which the publication was canceled.

They are nice in grade since I purchased the full run, but at the time I did not read them, just the New Gods and Jimmy Olsen on Kamandi. Then I bought the full runs of Mr. Miracle and the Forever People in original edition in the early 1990s and… man, Kirby at his most occult. One may object the Fourth World is a not-entirely accomplished project, but here Jack put all his effort on the characters, not the storyline. No one has written the characters like Kirby (Starlin did an acceptable job in the Cosmic Odyssey mini-series, but nothing to do with the true epic of the original). ;)

What a beaut book! I have always liked Scott Free... Mister Miracle was my favorite of the fourth world stuff that I have read... Like the simple contrasty cover too! Very cool book! (thumbs u