• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,885 posts in this topic

This is a great thread guys.

In 1980, my best friend moved back to England from Spain (English Dad, Spanish Mum). Anyway, he brought a big pile of Spanish comics with him, and just because they looked so cool (I couldn't read them), I traded some American and British comics for some of them.

Somewhere along they way, those books disappeared and I never really thought too much about them, until I read this thread. Man, I wish I'd kept them now :cry:

Most of them were Marvel reprints and very cool in terms of size and format. There was also an original Spanish comic called Mortadello y Filamon (Mort and Phil?). It was a humor comic drawn in an almost Peter Bagge style, but more detailed. I've never been able to find an English translation, although I believe it's still running in Spain. I'd love to know if any of you guys have ever come across this title. (shrug)

In the meantime, keep 'em coming. :applause:

Mortadelo y Filemon are probably the most popular spanish comic. And they are really hilarious.

Coolest thread on the boards!! Two of my favorite foreign comics. I have about twenty over all and get some from time to time from traveling family members. If there are any in Costa Rica i will have another one or more by the end of the month.

12dfeb2d.jpg

95c12702.jpg

Peace!

In 1980, my best friend moved back to England from Spain (English Dad, Spanish Mum). Anyway, he brought a big pile of Spanish comics with him, and just because they looked so cool (I couldn't read them), I traded some American and British comics for some of them.

Somewhere along they way, those books disappeared and I never really thought too much about them, until I read this thread. Man, I wish I'd kept them now :cry:

Most of them were Marvel reprints and very cool in terms of size and format. There was also an original Spanish comic called Mortadello y Filamon (Mort and Phil?). It was a humor comic drawn in an almost Peter Bagge style, but more detailed. I've never been able to find an English translation, although I believe it's still running in Spain. I'd love to know if any of you guys have ever come across this title. (shrug)

Mortadelo y Filemon are probably the most popular spanish comic. And they are really hilarious.

Yes, even though I couldn't understand all of the words, the humor was obvious. Are you aware of any English translations of this series? I would love to find some.

F448.jpg

Man the color strike on these is freakin beautiful! That 1st Black Panther too! Really cool dude.... (thumbs u

Cool cover... ;)

FGalactusFF48.jpg

These just showed up today, it took almost a month but they finally got here.

th_DetectiveComics400.jpgth_HouseofMystery182.jpg

my first comment in this great "post"...that mexican Novaro Batman-ManBat is not the Batman 400 USA...but this one

Batman_589.jpg

Well for starters let me be the first to welcome you here Gonza! :applause:

I am guessing you are a foreign collector? Gonza Arana roughly translates to crazy spider right? hm

Now, that looks like two versions of a Novaro detective 400 1st man-bat. I think the one you posted is the first Man-bat and the other one with the lasso/cape like title is a 2nd printing from the 80's or just the tec 400 cover and no insides? hm Thanks for the clarification!

Nice about that Tony 1st Kingpin... love to see a scan! :gossip:

Thank you for the welcome "Define999", and yes you are right I'm foreign from "english spoken language collectors"(so you will have to excuse me from my bad english)...I read that are some Italian collectors in this forum, where all others are from?...The Batman 400 is the one that i put in my post and the other one is from 80´s like you say... and "Araña" means Spider...Gonza is and abrevation of my name(Gonzalo)...

Edited by Gonza_Araña

Hey..we are not so far !!!... ;)

and what do you think of these editions?

I tought you are from Mexico. I live in Valencia. You?

I think the comics from the spanish FCBD are really cool, all quality titles, too bad I missed the Cape one, by Joe Hill

According to Wikipedia, Mortadelo y Filemon has been translated in various languages, including english. But I can not find any example on the web (shrug)

Yes, even though I couldn't understand all of the words, the humor was obvious. Are you aware of any English translations of this series? I would love to find some.

Hey..we are not so far !!!... ;)

and what do you think of these editions?

I tought you are from Mexico. I live in Valencia. You?

I think the comics from the spanish FCBD are really cool, all quality titles, too bad I missed the Cape one, by Joe Hill

I live in Buenos Aires...so we speak spanish both,right?

I'd like to see more versions of this..for sure... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

In Brazil this story was printed in Ebal Homem Aranha 64.

Not the same cover, as it got the spidey main story, so not sure it qualifies

64x.jpg