• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,888 posts in this topic

Not much comparatively speaking I guess...but some interesting covers....you know which are also a "trip"?...Turkish editions..:

Spiderman Number 1 cover (not the same story BTW)

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/kitap-dergiler/orumcek-adam-cilt-129-b-yay-c17-43914780

Made up stories, made up covers, re-made covers....some are actually pretty neat how they were redrawn:

http://arama.gittigidiyor.com/orumcek-adam-cilt_W0QQklmZZ%25F6r%25FCmcek%2Badam%2BciltQQsyfZZ1

I've been meaning to get these posted, here they are.

From a trade with Liam:

th_LetonnantSpiderMan157158.jpg

From a trade with Barbarian:

th_Batmanebal26.jpgth_Batmanebalespecial7.jpgth_Superamigos18.jpg

From a trade with Chespirito:

th_Laderlappen3.jpgth_Laderlappen4.jpgth_Laderlappen5.jpgth_SupermanetBatman43.jpg

And last but not least, these came from ebay:

th_FantasticFour4.jpgth_FantasticFour10.jpgth_FantasticFour14.jpgth_IncredibleHulk1.jpg

Thanks to everyone! (thumbs u

I am really diggin the Hulk one...Bri'ish??
The Hulk #1 and FFs are Australian. Published by Newton Comics in the late '70s. I've watch on ebay (US & Australia) but don't see may of these listed very often. Not sure how scarce they are though. (shrug)

The Hulk #1 and FFs are Australian. Published by Newton Comics in the late '70s. I've watch on ebay (US & Australia) but don't see may of these listed very often. Not sure how scarce they are though. (shrug)

NOw that you mention it..I do remember trying to find some spideys from down under, certain numbers, but those ended befdore the issues I was really after...THese are cool!!!

So there were two identical runs in both languages uh? Interesting.... Do you know how far it goes into the American run? Any big keys? :wishluck: (hoping for a 129)

No, there were no "runs," per say; it was like 5 or six books printed, the real run, was the "Falcon" spiderman series, which I have seen very few copies of....they even printed Conan, check it out:

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_nkw=falcon+conan&_sacat=0&_odkw=falcon+spiderman&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

and of course, the very few spideys that are actually for sale

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=falcon+spiderman&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thats cool, what about the falcon run Ches? Seen any keys there?

The size is smaller similar to the early Kabana Hellas Greek editions….. its not in the best shape but will be searching out more. Its clearly a newer book for the back ad has a email address on it. But, from my research I do think these newer Diamond variants were not printed in large numbers. Maybe Spidercrazy could fill us in on more info? He knows more about these variants then I do….

I have three of the Diamond Comics indian issues, but only one of them is in Hindi, the year printed inside is 1994:

003yi.jpg

The other two are with english text only and are more recent, but I can't find any year printed. Probably later than 2000. But wait, what's that?

www.diamondcomic.com

More information! Yay! Click on 'Diamond Comics' and 'Spider-man' to see more indian magazines. Maybe you can even order some from there, I don't know?

Great find Spidercrazy! Bookmarked for further research! (thumbs u

Not much comparatively speaking I guess...but some interesting covers....you know which are also a "trip"?...Turkish editions..:

Spiderman Number 1 cover (not the same story BTW)

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/kitap-dergiler/orumcek-adam-cilt-129-b-yay-c17-43914780

Made up stories, made up covers, re-made covers....some are actually pretty neat how they were redrawn:

http://arama.gittigidiyor.com/orumcek-adam-cilt_W0QQklmZZ%25F6r%25FCmcek%2Badam%2BciltQQsyfZZ1

I love the cover art of the Turkish editions.... Particularly the Web of Spiderman 1 they redid.... (thumbs u

From a trade with Liam:

th_LetonnantSpiderMan157158.jpg

From a trade with Barbarian:

th_Batmanebal26.jpgth_Batmanebalespecial7.jpgth_Superamigos18.jpg

From a trade with Chespirito:

th_Laderlappen3.jpgth_Laderlappen4.jpgth_Laderlappen5.jpgth_SupermanetBatman43.jpg

th_FantasticFour4.jpgth_FantasticFour10.jpgth_FantasticFour14.jpgth_IncredibleHulk1.jpg

Nice! I agree that the Aussie Hulk 1 is pretty cool! Trying to find the Aussie Conan 1 seems to be pretty difficult. Maybe a Aussie board member could chime in on rarity of these books? hm

Edited by Define999

Nice! I agree that the Aussie Hulk 1 is pretty cool! Trying to find the Aussie Conan 1 seems to be pretty difficult. Maybe a Aussie board member could chime in on rarity of these books? hm

See, here's where collecting comics here is both a blessing and a curse.

Newton books are out there. They were pretty successful back in the day and there was even a TV ad for them - pretty impressive for the mid seventies.

The problem for collectors of these things is that there are not many who do collect and consequently rarely get listed on eBay. One is far more likely to find copies at second hand book stores, Op Shops and the like rather than on eBay or in a dealer's inventory.

This is the two-edged sword. They are hard to find, but when found they are cheap.

This is a pretty good site that lists all manner of comics that were reprinted Down Under. The link refers specifically to Newton, but other publishers also get a run.

Newton books are out there. They were pretty successful back in the day and there was even a TV ad for them - pretty impressive for the mid seventies.

The problem for collectors of these things is that there are not many who do collect and consequently rarely get listed on eBay. One is far more likely to find copies at second hand book stores, Op Shops and the like rather than on eBay or in a dealer's inventory.

This is the two-edged sword. They are hard to find, but when found they are cheap.

This is a pretty good site that lists all manner of comics that were reprinted Down Under. The link refers specifically to Newton, but other publishers also get a run.

This seems to be a similar situation for a lot of these hard to find books. Small print runs, combined with low number of collectors, combined with what is perceived as a low buyers pool.(which is probably true) It’s a classic problem, how do you get owners of these books to realize that a American buyer is willing to pay in some instances real money for something many think is practically worthless?

Communication is the key….. but that starts to get real hard once you get out of the Americas/Westernized countries and into Asia, Central Europe or Africa.

I get the small book store thing…. man what I wouldn’t give to go hunting in small used book stores in South Africa searching for the rare Supercomix South African variants… Screw big game…. Id be hunting a different kind of rare animal in Africa. This would be my safari! lol

SouthAfrica-1.jpg

If anyone knows anything about anywhere these could possibly be purchsed please PM me..... :wishluck:

Great site Duff! Bookmarking engaged…..

I also have another question? In Australia, when would you say the prevalence of bags and boards hit? The 70’s, 80’s, later? hm

Got some great books coming in… Stay tuned :whee:

Round 1... :whee:

Polish and Finnish ASM 300's!

92674cfe.jpg

1d23d901.jpg

Beautiful Liaton! Man that Finnish book presents so much better than that 5.5 gives it credit for…. (thumbs u

This seems to be a similar situation for a lot of these hard to find books. Small print runs, combined with low number of collectors, combined with what is perceived as a low buyers pool.(which is probably true) It’s a classic problem, how do you get owners of these books to realize that a American buyer is willing to pay in some instances real money for something many think is practically worthless?

Communication is the key….. but that starts to get real hard once you get out of the Americas/Westernized countries and into Asia, Central Europe or Africa.

I get the small book store thing…. man what I wouldn’t give to go hunting in small used book stores in South Africa searching for the rare Supercomix South African variants… Screw big game…. Id be hunting a different kind of rare animal in Africa. This would be my safari! lol

SouthAfrica-1.jpg

If anyone knows anything about anywhere these could possibly be purchsed please PM me..... :wishluck:

I also have another question? In Australia, when would you say the prevalence of bags and boards hit? The 70’s, 80’s, later? hm

I started using bags in the early seventies, bought from Bobby Bell and imported. At the time they were expensive ($3 per 100 plus shipping lol ) and I, and everyone I knew who collected, which wasn't many, would only use them on the BEST books - certainly not on local black and white reprints.

Boards came along much, much later and cause problems to this day. They, too, have to be imported and because they are so damned heavy the cost is extortionate. Local dealers will charge $25 (that's about $US25 at current exchange rates) per 100 not-that-special boards.

So, bagged and boarded new books were rarely offered - and still are not generally available now, except at additional cost.

SouthAfrica-1.jpg

I started using bags in the early seventies, bought from Bobby Bell and imported. At the time they were expensive ($3 per 100 plus shipping lol ) and I, and everyone I knew who collected, which wasn't many, would only use them on the BEST books - certainly not on local black and white reprints.

Boards came along much, much later and cause problems to this day. They, too, have to be imported and because they are so damned heavy the cost is extortionate. Local dealers will charge $25 (that's about $US25 at current exchange rates) per 100 not-that-special boards.

So, bagged and boarded new books were rarely offered - and still are not generally available now, except at additional cost.

It probably doesn't help that the size on the Newton stuff seems to vary. Most of them I've got fit into GA bags but are taller than GA boards but there are a couple I had to use magazine bags on just because they're wider by just a little bit.

SouthAfrica-1.jpg

It probably doesn't help that the size on the Newton stuff seems to vary. Most of them I've got fit into GA bags but are taller than GA boards but there are a couple I had to use magazine bags on just because they're wider by just a little bit.

Dead right. The sizes of all the comics printed here vary wildly.

I think I have the e-mail to a guy in Africa that sells these, again when I was trying to buy, there was no South African series that printed the EXACT books I was looking for, so I just left it alone...but it would have been sweet....