• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Its important to remember that Canadian edition books are in fact printed and made in the U.S. Canadian edition or Canadian cover price variant comics are American. They`re shipped over the border to a Canadian distributor. They are all printed at the same facility (U.S newsstand, direct and Canadian newsstand.) The same cant be said for foreign books. There is a good reason why some people (Americans too) are getting serious about these comics.

For the last couple decades most U.S. comics have actually been printed in Canada, so it would be the U.S. editions that get shipped over the border.

It should be noted that SOME (certainly not all) foreign comics have been printed in the US over the years, including some UK editions, some Mexican editions (also printed in Canada too I think) and many many others. Its just not consistent and not always easy to track where they were printed.

It should also be noted that for foreign editions, there's a decent chance the comic was not printed in the same country it was sold in, especially in Europe where countries are so close together and trade is so easy, but supplies and labor are so much cheaper in some countries. For example, it wouldn't surprise me at all if German comics were/are printed in Poland.

So if you want to start hunting for original printing country.... well good luck.

Edited by Revat

Its important to remember that Canadian edition books are in fact printed and made in the U.S. Canadian edition or Canadian cover price variant comics are American. They`re shipped over the border to a Canadian distributor. They are all printed at the same facility (U.S newsstand, direct and Canadian newsstand.) The same cant be said for foreign books. There is a good reason why some people (Americans too) are getting serious about these comics.

For the last couple decades most U.S. comics have actually been printed in Canada, so it would be the U.S. editions that get shipped over the border.

It should be noted that SOME (certainly not all) foreign comics have been printed in the US over the years, including some UK editions, some Mexican editions (also printed in Canada too I think) and many many others. Its just not consistent and not always easy to track where they were printed.

It should also be noted that for foreign editions, there's a decent chance the comic was not printed in the same country it was sold in, especially in Europe where countries are so close together and trade is so easy, but supplies and labor are so much cheaper in some countries. For example, it wouldn't surprise me at all if German comics were/are printed in Poland.

So if you want to start hunting for original printing country.... well good luck.

If I remember right a good amount of the European stuff was printed in Italy at one point. Spain too if I'm not mistaken. Italy may have a lock on the market now with Panini printing as much as they do.

If I remember right a good amount of the European stuff was printed in Italy at one point. Spain too if I'm not mistaken. Italy may have a lock on the market now with Panini printing as much as they do.

Yea, Panini did a huge amount of stuff! :o Verlag in Germany might have done some other countries stuff I think? hm The only way to guarantee a foreign book was printed in its intended country of readership is probably only with books that were distributed along with newspapers. Similar to the comics de el sol in Spain.... or those Mcfarlane Spideys from Turkey.

Eventually I plan on doing some research into some of the bigger foreign publishers and doing an article on the licensing process.

A few Australian editions I just got in yesterday. :banana:

Batman244Australia_zps172fe59e.jpg

Batman251Australia_zpsf928b432.jpg

Ooh nice! :applause:

I agree, nice is one way of putting it sure! But, when it comes to how freakin rarely you see key Bats tip tops...... stunning is a word I like using for these.. :o(worship)