• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Back on topic

Dice,

If you look at some Marvel issues in the Silver Age you will see a production defect on some books such as the X-Men 36 I recently sold. This production decent is usually in the top 1/3 of the cover and looks kind of like this

> > > > > > > >

Not perfect but I think you might have an idea of what I'm talking out. Can you explani how this is caused.

Thanks

Danny

Are you talking about the roller mark that looks like little >>>>> dents across the cover of a comic?

If so, that's a roller mark from production. Pretty common if you hold a book up and let the light reflect on the surface.

If you're talking about something else, describe it or post a scan.

(thumbs u Thanks for the explination Jamie it sounds good but let me post some more examples and see if you and Dice still think it holds up. hm

:) this book has at least 4 variantions on the color error, Like one foot in Yellow, two feet in Yellow, two feet and the arm in Yellow and one foot and the arm in Yellow. doh!

ASM188error.jpg

amazingspiderman188cgc96.jpg

(shrug) Well dang I can't seem to find pictures of the other variations of this book right now but when I do I will post them up. (thumbs u

Thanks; Terry

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

:whistle: Well since I can't seem to find the pictures of the ASM #188 lets try another comic the Avengers #178 it has all kinds of problems with the area above the Marvel Comics Group banner. :cool:

2f7c_1.JPGc3c5_1.JPG

com1327.jpg9634_1_b.JPG

hm I have noticed this type of problems with lots of 70's Marvel comics and that is one of the reasons why I was thinking maybe pieces of the printing plates may be breaking off during production as a possible cause. (shrug)

At times during a run, the plates can have areas that become "sensitive". Meaning, those areas can stop accepting ink, and will stop printing.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can bounce this off a few other guys I know. :hi:

Wow..nice thread. I enjoyed reading this almost as much as touring the Jack Daniels distillary in Tennesee. Keep up the good work and great info! (thumbs u

It's called "Distributor Ink", and it was used by the magazine guy to mark returns.

It was not done during production.

I don't think I posted these pages here before, and this thread seems like a natural place for them. These are from a book called The Lithographer's Manual. The book was originally written around 1940, but my copy is the second edition from the 1960s.

binding1.jpg

binding2.jpg

binding3.jpg

binding4.jpg

binding5.jpg

binding6.jpg

binding7.jpg