• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

Give him a break, he had to spend half the day just getting up to 50 posts!! :D

You guys might be surprised, he might really bring it with this offer.

Yeah not likely. Clearly The guy spammed 30 posts today to get his count up to 50. He's a newbie that just happened to find his way into pif land, then talks to people like he's a salty veteran.

I'm sure it's another shill, probably LavaMan again.

Not a salty veteran, just not taking mess from some guy sitting behind a computer whom thinks he owns a message board that he happens to visit. My skin is thick so twiddle your fingers on your keyboard to insult since this is so obviously your turf. This place seems fantastic, which is why I decided to join a while back (but cool places attract the good along with the bad, it's just sad that people like that tend to ruin fun activities such as this; many times for those whom don't have so thick ah skin).

I can understand your impulse to irritation, but techvoodoo is not prone to insults. His post may appear arrogant, but if you re-read it there is not much really offensive (aside from the term "newbie", and that supposition, if we want to consider them offenses). He’s everything but someone thinking he owns the message board. :)

"Shill" is used in a larger sense to indicate people which were banned from the forum and then re-registered under a different pseudonym, without much change of attitude.

It’s generally expected to have some offer ready when one takes a PIF offer, hence the "teasing" comments…

Ultimately I have zero respect for somebody that thinks it's acceptable to spam as many post as possible in one day in order to gain access to the thread and claim something.

I also find suspect that somebody that never participates on the message board happens to find their way into this thread. It's not sticking to the top of the form anymore and frankly if they spend any time reading the goings on in the thread it's not something that you would probably want to jump into if you had no experience around here.

Call me crazy but yes those things get my spider sense tingling.

Is this guy a shill? I think it's entirely likely. Is he at a minimum a donkey looking to take advantage of the thread and get free mess? Absolutely without a doubt. His offer at least proves that.

Clearly the number of posts required to participate in this thread should be raised to a minimum of 500 if not more. That or the minimum membership duration of one year, I don't really care which.

If you look back when he first appeared here, he asked if he could claim when he had 30 something posts. Another 'seasoned' member said it would not be too hard to get his posts up to 50. He broke no rules and took the advice of a 'regular.'

All would have been forgotten if the first guy had made an offer like the current offer. A junk donkey offer will always bring trouble on your head.

PIF is a trading thread, in a manner of speaking. You trade it forward, but yes it's trading and I think that's absolutely fine personally. On the other hand a RAK thread is a giving thread.

The reason I think PIF works better is because like I said it puts at least some accountability on a person to not just take/take/take. It would be very easy for someone to fly under the radar of a RAK thread and take/take/take if the thread was busy enough.

I 100% agree, BUT...there are regulars that always watch these threads. I mean, within a few days of the RAK thread being up and running one guy claimed three of the first three RAKs. :D If you go back and look who it is, I'm sure no one will be surprised. ;)

But that's the thing - people see it because it's public and can PM the offeror if they don't feel like "being negative" in public. And I'm sure the regulars here KNOW who the donkeys are.

So if someone wants to be generous and offer up something nice and Donkey comes along and takes it, really the only one who should have a problem with it is the person who is being generous in the first place. And the idea that a donkey could get away with it... no way. I'm sure that offeror would be PMed in about 5 minutes not to mention the tomfoolery of GIFs and memes by a select few in the thread ( :whistle: ) to tip off of the offeror.

Donkeys don't get away with much around here unless there are rules for them to weasel around.

The bottom line - an offeror should be allowed to offer up something and should be allowed to decide for themselves who they want (or don't want) to take it.

And if the thread dies, then it sort of lifted the charade of "paying it forward" or "random acts of kindness" to begin with, no?

But if the RAK thread was truly it, there's really no way donkeys would take advantage of a "system" because there is no system. But this "equal value", time on boards/number of posts, reverting offers or whatever just doesn't seem to work. There is ultimately no way to determine if someone is "being generous" or if their intentions are genuine so you can't really formulate a system to determine if they are.

Just revive the Trading Post thread and put your effort into that. And if you want to feel generous, throw up some items from time to time in RAK.

Another busy day at work, just poked my head in to see what was up with my offers being claimed and whatnot, and had 4 pages to read.

PM incoming, MustEatBrains... and great offers! Glad to see it's back on track (for the most part).

I'm moving past what happened as I received a PM from Pro2Newb is backing out, whether vetoed or not.

"Hey there buddy, I am backing out (I wanted to apologize to you personally as it was nothing to do with you). It looks like someone immediately claimed TWD books after I bowed out so you are good to go. Again, very sorry.

Take care and have a good one, Dave."

What happened was weird, and maybe we can indeed solidify some more better/additional rules for newcomers to the thread. I did try to give some offer advice to him in my initial PM asking for his address, but that PM was not responded to until he just bowed out.

FANTASTIC options...I would like to take option #3 if that is ok? I am a few posts short (15 after this post but I have already made a $160+ purchase on this site from the "sell" threads (if needing feedback I can provide his username)...or you can look at my Ebay 2093 100% positive feedback(s)... Let me know if I'm not qualified or if I am able to claim option #3 (The Walking Dead lot)and I'll start putting together my offer/give-aways?

Either way- I love those top 3 options!!! Good Job!

Thanks & take care all, Dave. :)

yeah, you need the 50 posts to qualify but that shouldn't be hard to do if you want to do so.

This was the advice given.

FANTASTIC options...I would like to take option #3 if that is ok? I am a few posts short (15 after this post but I have already made a $160+ purchase on this site from the "sell" threads (if needing feedback I can provide his username)...or you can look at my Ebay 2093 100% positive feedback(s)... Let me know if I'm not qualified or if I am able to claim option #3 (The Walking Dead lot)and I'll start putting together my offer/give-aways?

yeah, you need the 50 posts to qualify but that shouldn't be hard to do if you want to do so.

So someone gave him bad advice and he took it? I'm sorry that doesn't absolve someone for making a bad decision in my mind.

Why not instead of a post count you use a time on boards as requirment to participate in PIF this way a scammer cant just join and get 50 post in a day.say 6 months on board and 100 post.would help to keep the scammers etc away. This thread as said is too tempting to a Donkey who wants say a ASM 300 etc for free.

This would be a great rule if the books were sitting on a table and people could take them. Any offer can be vetoed by the previous person for whatever reason. SO if the offer or person is suspect you can always veto it and wait for another person to take your offer. Those Walking Dead books were awesome by the way - definitely had me considering my leaving the thread claim.

Here's the problem with relying on vetoes.

[boardie #1]- "cool, I see a free copy of a comic I always wanted! :takeit: "

"Here's my offers"

[insert well known donkey/new guy gaming the system/pederast]- "I know my offers are going to suck, but it's the best I can do. :takeit:"

[boardie #1]- "whatevs, as long as I get my book you can all go screw :banana:"

:bump:

With the system in place now, isn't this one way rules are circumvented?

Even if Boardie #1 and the pederast weren't in collusion to screw the system, Boardie #1 is is free and clear to get what he wanted and he's off the "hot seat" :eyeroll: so what is his real motivation to do anything other than the bare minimum? You're really relying on the assumption that Boardie #1 actually intended to "pay it forward" and wasn't really looking to upgrade his collection by his claim and offer up juuuuuust enough to get his offer taken.

You could have a shill, clueless noob or wandering drunkard claim Boardie #1's offer for whatever reason and that's that.

There's just no way to create a system of rules to prevent anyone from playing the system. 2c

Current offers :bump:

I had some scans of what I'd be offering uploaded to the bucket already, so here we go,

Hope these are some good offerings for this thread.. We'll see if there are any takers between

now and this evening. :headbang:

Offer 1 – Aquaman 35 – 1st Black Manta VG/F

Aquaman35_zpsgs5njs4y.jpg

Offer 2 – Aquaman 42 2nd Black Manta VF/NM

Aquaman42_zpsyfdcnwu3.jpg

Offer 3 (2 Books) Marvel Spotlight 29 CGC 9.8 WP Moon Knight

Marvel Spotlight 29 30 cent price variant Fine

MS29_zps6vthn2yf.jpg

MS29Back_zpsnsa8aqkt.jpg

MS29Front_zpsrlgjff6l.jpg

MS29Back_zpsikqkwuio.jpg[/url

So someone gave him bad advice and he took it? I'm sorry that doesn't absolve someone for making a bad decision in my mind.

And by his own admission he already knew how it all worked when he asked. He knew about the post count requirement and also already knew that he could go get that post count up if he wanted to take the offers.

I had some scans of what I'd be offering uploaded to the bucket already, so here we go,

Hope these are some good offerings for this thread.. We'll see if there are any takers between

MS29_zps6vthn2yf.jpg

MS29Back_zpsnsa8aqkt.jpg

No need to bump that offer. I'm sure several people are looking over their collection as we speak to see what they can offer in exchange.

MS29_zps6vthn2yf.jpg

MS29Back_zpsnsa8aqkt.jpg

:bump:

Honestly, here is the mindset of PIF:

"I'm sure several people are looking over their collection as we speak to see what they can offer in exchange."

Because the idea is people WANT the Aquaman book, right? Why do you need any sort of altruistic intention behind this thread or any thread.

Reinvent the trading thread as a one offer at a time thread just like PIF. :idea:

People can only get what they want when there offer is claimed. If someone really does want a book, e.g. the Aquaman, they'd have to pony up and offer up legitimate offers. Not drek. Then it sort of follows suit. At some point it WILL stall thought so I don't have a solution for that. But instead of this tired ol' PIF thread that really isn't what it was intended to be, look at what it really IS and work off of that.

"I'm sure several people are looking over their collection as we speak to see what they can offer in exchange."

Because the idea is people WANT the Aquaman book, right? Why do you need any sort of altruistic intention behind this thread or any thread.

Reinvent the trading thread as a one offer at a time thread just like PIF. :idea:

People can only get what they want when there offer is claimed. If someone really does want a book, e.g. the Aquaman, they'd have to pony up and offer up legitimate offers. Not drek. Then it sort of follows suit. At some point it WILL stall thought so I don't have a solution for that. But instead of this tired ol' PIF thread that really isn't what it was intended to be, look at what it really IS and work off of that.

As I recall the trading post thread was a one trade at a time scenario wasn't it? It went down in flames pretty quickly.

hm

MS29_zps6vthn2yf.jpg

MS29Back_zpsnsa8aqkt.jpg

No need to bump that offer. I'm sure several people are looking over their collection as we speak to see what they can offer in exchange.

:gossip: He really wants that ASM 300

It generally works better as a trading thread under the guise of PIF, than just a plain trading thread.

Why?

because you can feel like you got something for free, and also feel generous for giving. Everybody wins!

It generally works better as a trading thread under the guise of PIF, than just a plain trading thread.

Why?

because you can feel like you got something for free, and also feel generous for giving. Everybody wins!

Right, IF the intention was to actually "pay it forward"... but almost every participant in this thread really cares about the offer them CLAIMED more so than what they offer up in return.

I'm not just trying to be negative, just honest. Does ANYONE that is claiming something really do it because they're treating their claim as "something free" and really they're focused on actually paying it forward?

Everyone here claims something because it's something they want. Not because they truly want to give something. >>> that is the RAK thread.

So it brings it back to this thread being simply a trading thread.