• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I had to go be a productive member of society. I am catching up now. I'll offer to start up a new thread but I'm not going to rush into it. I probably want to think it over, spend some time wording it as simply as possible, and poke any holes in the idea as possible before bothering to post it. I suspect it won't be up for a few days at least.

This assumes no one else has volunteered to set it up already.

I had to go be a productive member of society. I am catching up now. I'll offer to start up a new thread but I'm not going to rush into it. I probably want to think it over, spend some time wording it as simply as possible, and poke any holes in the idea as possible before bothering to post it. I suspect it won't be up for a few days at least.

This assumes no one else has volunteered to set it up already.

One thing to think on is can the thread stall and how to prevent it? I haven't worked that out yet, but can someone be on the hot seat and no one wants what's up for offer?

I haven't absorbed the whole idea of "Trading it Forward" with dueling claims.

One thing to think on is can the thread stall and how to prevent it? I haven't worked that out yet, but can someone be on the hot seat and no one wants what's up for offer?

Life PIF now, you won't get what you claimed until your offer is claimed. However, at anytime someone can jump in and claim the offer you claimed so hopefully it keeps takers trying to get their offer claimed if they really want the offer they took.

At some point ANY thread will stall. At least with multiple people being allowed to claim an offer at anytime it keeps things active. Rather than "I'll get my offers up tonight or tomorrow" and "how long until it reverts?" There's no waiting. If you :takeit: and you don't get good offers up soon, you may miss out on something you wanted.

But when it inevitably stalls - (shrug) Same thing that happens when PIF stalls I guess.

Life PIF now, you won't get what you claimed until your offer is claimed. However, at anytime someone can jump in and claim the offer you claimed so hopefully it keeps takers trying to get their offer claimed if they really want the offer they took.

At some point ANY thread will stall. At least with multiple people being allowed to claim an offer at anytime it keeps things active. Rather than "I'll get my offers up tonight or tomorrow" and "how long until it reverts?" There's no waiting. If you :takeit: and you don't get good offers up soon, you may miss out on something you wanted.

But when it inevitably stalls - (shrug) Same thing that happens when PIF stalls I guess.

Yeah I guess reverting is sort of just built in by the fact that anyone can claim what you've already claimed. From that perspective it works the same way as PIF does now.

So for this new idea to stall, it would be the same thing as PIF now reverting and stalling.

I guess that's the best we can do.

I am not much of a conversationalist :blahblah: on these boards, but have always been an honest guy in all my dealings. Why would having 500 posts count for anything? (shrug) Just asking is all, not trying to start a rumble. I like the 1 year thing since I qualify btw. (:. How about a requirement to have a kudos :acclaim: feedback thread with some number of positive posts or someting?

smileys

You may not even need a hardline rule of post count OR time if the original offer or uses common sense and the veto power.

If you have someone who in the past has demonstrated that they're a donkey claims something and offers up drek and low and behold, a brand new member no one knows claims it and offers up drek - VETO! :sumo:

You want to be inclusive in this thread. Post count is easy to cheat and length of time here leaves out potentially well-intentioned participants.

I am not much of a conversationalist :blahblah: on these boards, but have always been an honest guy in all my dealings. Why would having 500 posts count for anything? (shrug) Just asking is all, not trying to start a rumble. I like the 1 year thing since I qualify btw. (:. How about a requirement to have a kudos :acclaim: feedback thread with some number of positive posts or someting?

smileys

To be fair having a post count and membership duration are both largely irrelevant but it's better than having no requirement at all. And I'm suggesting that the rule be written as "you must have 500 posts count or have been a member for a minimum of one year". I'm saying both of those could be qualifying factors, I'm not saying we have to pick one or the other to be the rule.

You may not even need a hardline rule of post count OR time if the original offer or uses common sense and the veto power.

If you have someone who in the past has demonstrated that they're a donkey claims something and offers up drek and low and behold, a brand new member no one knows claims it and offers up drek - VETO! :sumo:

You want to be inclusive in this thread. Post count is easy to cheat and length of time here leaves out potentially well-intentioned participants.

I think you do need it to at least attempt to prevent someone from using multiple accounts or colluding with other people. It's not going to be a catchall but it's better than nothing.

It's to prevent somebody from creating a new account and using it immediately to claim their own offer in order to win the offer they're trying to claim.

smileys

Lots of donkeys lurk.

Get out there and talk about what you collect.

You'll be at 500 in no time

Or again. PM Branget. He will help ;)