• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

In the end, if no one takes this idea and runs with it, PIF will just drag on like it has for years. People will inevitably go back to :slapfight: . New donkeys will be annointed. More FDQ moments will occur and many lurkers will just sit back and :popcorn:

I'm one of the lurkers who finds it entertaining. :popcorn:

STOP RUINING IT!!! :baiting:

How is this verbiage?

Trade it Forward Thread

Welcome to the Trade it Forward thread where all board members which have been on the boards for 1 year and have at least 500 post can trade books with each other. There are a few simple rules to follow.

Rules to the thread:

1. Person A offers something.

2. Person B, C or D offers something in return. Three people at a time can post offers in attempt to claim Person A’s offer.

3. Person A can for whatever reason “veto” the offer(s) of person B, C or D and an additional person can fill in the place of the person who received the veto. If your receive a veto you will be required to sit out for 1 month.

4. Person E claims an offer from Person B, C or D and now has 12 hours to put up their own offer(s) or their claim is forfeited and it reverts back to Person B, C or D’s offers. The person who failed to post up a suitable offer in 12 hours will be banned from participating for 1 month.

5. Both Person A or the person who got claimed (lets assume Person C got picked) can veto person Es offer if they feel like they are playing the system. This is a trading thread so the offers should be a reasonable trade for the offer being taken. Person A & C should make every effort to PM person E and discuss the issue before issuing the Veto. If you receive a veto at this point you will be banned for 1 year.

6. If Person E does not receive a veto from Person A or C then the process repeats itself where 3 people can make offers to get Person E’s offer.

7. Person A will mail their offer based on who got an offer claimed (Person B - D). Every effort will be made to mail the offer within 4 days.

8. If none of the offers from Person B, C & D get accepted within 48 hours of Person A posting his offer - then an additional 3 people get the chance to make offers. That way every 2 days there is a chance for new offers to be posted up. An additional 48 hours will be granted the next three participants.

9. During the 2 days Person B, C & D can adjust their offer as many times as they see fit.

10. A discussion thread has been posted. Please keep all discussions to that thread and this thread to only offers.

Good grief! I usually have to explain several times a week that an offer can only revert one spot and that an offer must be posted within 24 hours. There is no way that the average player is going to understand and remember all of those rules.

***********************************************************************************************************************

:rulez:

• Minimum posts to participate 500 or one year.
  • Person A: Offers something.
  • Person B: claims Person A's Offer. :takeit:
  • Person B Offer something in return. Anyone can still claim Person A's Offer until Person B's Offer is claimed.
  • Person C claims Person B's Offer. Only now does Person B get Person A's Offer.
  • :news: If Person A believes that Person C's claim of Person B's Offer is fishy, Person A can "VETO" and Person A's offer goes back up. :news:

***********************************************************************************************************************

Something along these lines.

hm

I might consider something like this. Let me think on it.

:baiting:

1Cool, let Shadow get to work on it.

Like you said - just spit balling at this point. I will have to say defining rules in detail will eliminate issues in the future in my mind. Allowing more then 1 person the ability to veto is also key since one person never wants to be the bad guy. And having 10 people shouting out offers is a receipt for disaster in my mind.

You tried to do this same over analysis with TGT in the beginning. :baiting:

Shut off that engineer brain. :D Lay out simple rules. If someone posts something and someone (others) come along and really want that offer, they'll post up something good.

No reverting. No time. No penalties. No limits. >>> you don't want people to not participate bc they're concerned about a veto or that they don't have enough. You wouldn't even need this if there wasn't concern Junk Donkeys would work together. It just maintains some form of honesty in the thread. I don't envision it would be a regular thing bc if people claim something and offer drek, it wouldn't be claimed. It would be a glaring example of gaming the system that would result in a veto.

If someone really wants something, they'll post something good. It also gives more people a chance to join in when they see something they want.

That sounds pretty good, except for the being banned for one month if vetoed. The person may have been sincere with their offer, there is no reason to punish them. They can be banned from participating in that current offer, but if the next offer happens to be in their wheelhouse, then let them participate.

If that person is continually offering junk then they will just be ignored by the community and their offer will never be taken. Eventually they will learn the proper way of participating.

tumblr_inline_nvjru7KtEd1tvzfxk_500.gif

In the end, if no one takes this idea and runs with it, PIF will just drag on like it has for years. People will inevitably go back to :slapfight: . New donkeys will be annointed. More FDQ moments will occur and many lurkers will just sit back and :popcorn:

I'm one of the lurkers who finds it entertaining. :popcorn:

STOP RUINING IT!!! :baiting:

+1 to that.

That sounds pretty good, except for the being banned for one month if vetoed. The person may have been sincere with their offer, there is no reason to punish them. They can be banned from participating in that current offer, but if the next offer happens to be in their wheelhouse, then let them participate.

If that person is continually offering junk then they will just be ignored by the community and their offer will never be taken. Eventually they will learn the proper way of participating.

Is that so. lol

Meeklo, I am not for sure if your suggestions for rules are for the better of the boards or your own best interests. lol

Rule 17-A: anyone who's name rhymes with Weak Flow gets to take one free offering a week. :idea:

Leave the thread alone.

Make one change - have to have minimum of 500 posts and be a member for 6 months.

We all know this is a trading thread, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Let the usual public shaming keep people in line which it has been doing just fine.

Leave the thread alone.

Make one change - have to have minimum of 500 posts and be a member for 6 months.

We all know this is a trading thread, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Let the usual public shaming keep people in line which it has been doing just fine.

Honestly, I find the initial suggestions by tech very good… Aside from the 500 posts, the hours limit reductions, etc.

Trading threads can be a good alternative, but PIF remains what it is: it changes for worse just when there is a lack of interest or repeated abuse and/or discussions that go on endlessly, otherwise it pretty much respects NamesJay's premises (and maybe now he's not using the forums, but last time I talked about him he chimed in and said his opinions).

While I agree with the sentiment, that's Hokie's comment, not mine. Mine was funnier. :sumo:

Sorry, I made a mess in editing the quotes… Right, I have to admit many of your "snarky" comments have a fun quality.

I am still wondering where "well known pederasts" come from and how they reached PIF… :eek:

Is that so. lol

Yeah...it is. They will learn or they will never receive anything they are trying to claim. It is a self governing thread. It does not need everyone bickering or adding in any smartass comments.

My only self interest, and I have harped about this a lot, is to stop the snide comments. They are not needed in this new thread.

Yeah...it is. They will learn or they will never receive anything they are trying to claim. It is a self governing thread. It does not need everyone bickering or adding in any smartass comments.

No worries, the smartass comments will continue.

There are too many threads now! lol

While I agree with the sentiment, that's Hokie's comment, not mine. Mine was funnier. :sumo:

Sorry, I made a mess in editing the quotes… Right, I have to admit many of your "snarky" comments have a fun quality.

I am still wondering where "well known pederasts" come from and how they reached PIF… :eek:

lol

Just playing the odds. When you add up all the active members on this forum, there's a small yet discernible chance that one of them is also posting on the NAMBLA forums under the pseudonym "Uncle Slippyfist". And you can bet your bottom dollar, they love paying it forward.

Also, I have the sense of humor of a 14 year old. So I have that going for me, too. :D

A lot of good ideas here for a trading thread with "battle for it guidelines." I'm really liking most of what I've read, except for those posts with "don't forget to take my donkeyness into account" intentions.

Btw, what's the current offer here?

A lot of good ideas here for a trading thread with "battle for it guidelines." I'm really liking most of what I've read, except for those posts with "don't forget to take my donkeyness into account" intentions.

Btw, what's the current offer here?

Take my donkeyness into account! I will repay later on…