• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I am not much of a conversationalist :blahblah: on these boards, but have always been an honest guy in all my dealings. Why would having 500 posts count for anything? (shrug) Just asking is all, not trying to start a rumble. I like the 1 year thing since I qualify btw. (:. How about a requirement to have a kudos :acclaim: feedback thread with some number of positive posts or someting?

smileys

Lots of donkeys lurk.

Get out there and talk about what you collect.

You'll be at 500 in no time

Or again. PM Branget. He will help ;)

Make a test thread and 500 posts with a comma in each one is no issue. The numbers are fairly arbitrary regardless of which one is used. So if people want to change them, or leave them as it is, either one works for me. I do not think any PIF problems are solved by those changes though, these rules have been working for the most part.

But change for changes sake can be good, so have at it. In order for the 4th World to exist the Third World had to go,

I do not think that you can legislate intent. It is kind of fun watching people try though.

You may not even need a hardline rule of post count OR time if the original offer or uses common sense and the veto power.

If you have someone who in the past has demonstrated that they're a donkey claims something and offers up drek and low and behold, a brand new member no one knows claims it and offers up drek - VETO! :sumo:

You want to be inclusive in this thread. Post count is easy to cheat and length of time here leaves out potentially well-intentioned participants.

I think you do need it to at least attempt to prevent someone from using multiple accounts or colluding with other people. It's not going to be a catchall but it's better than nothing.

It's to prevent somebody from creating a new account and using it immediately to claim their own offer in order to win the offer they're trying to claim.

But that's what I'm saying - wouldn't it be OBVIOUS if that was going on? If someone no one has ever interacted with and just signed up claims something, Veto.

Post count does really nothing. If you set post count to 500, a shill count post in the Is Post Count Important to You? thread and get there easily. I know everyone would see that, but they'd still be in compliance of the rule. If you set a time frame, you're keeping out newer members who might be good participants.

There's just really no black and white rule. It seems a case by case situation would be the best bet. There are several current regulars of PIF I have no idea who they are. But SOMEONE has to have interacted with them.

I guess if I had to pick one, time here > than post count, but what do you do if someone who has been here 3 years with 2 posts claims something?

I am not much of a conversationalist :blahblah: on these boards, but have always been an honest guy in all my dealings. Why would having 500 posts count for anything? (shrug) Just asking is all, not trying to start a rumble. I like the 1 year thing since I qualify btw. (:. How about a requirement to have a kudos :acclaim: feedback thread with some number of positive posts or someting?

smileys

Lots of donkeys lurk.

Make a test thread and 500 posts with a comma in each one is no issue. The numbers are fairly arbitrary regardless of which one is used. So if people want to change them, or leave them as it is, either one works for me. I do not think any PIF problems are solved by those changes though, these rules have been working for the most part.

But change for changes sake can be good, so have at it. In order for the 4th World to exist the Third World had to go,

I do not think that you can legislate intent. It is kind of fun watching people try though.

Dude, seriously? Post count is just a silly idea. Duration of membership and a good kudos or 2 much better.

You could do just a simple one year and for every transaction you complete with a different member, you get time taken off of that.

Or one year and if you complete x transactions with x number of members, the one year period is waived.

:idea:

smileys

Lots of donkeys lurk.

Dude, seriously? Post count is just a silly idea. Duration of membership and a good kudos or 2 much better.

Yes dude, seriously. Meaning people will get around the rules if that's important to them. The best way to know if someone is serious with their offers is to look at their offers . And then see how they respond to feedback

smileys

Lots of donkeys lurk.

Yes dude, seriously. Meaning people will get around the rules if that's important to them. The best way to know if someone is serious with their offers is to look at their offers . And then see how they respond to feedback

This I agree with. Putting arbitrary rules in place in an attempt to vet people out is not good, especially when some of those rules can be circumvented. The offers that are made will speak volumes. Let the participants on the thread do some policing.

I think you should at least post what you're offering within 1 hour of taking something...you don't have to post a picture immediately but post something. This waiting 24 hours is painful. And 4 days is way way too long when everyone knows something isn't going to be taken.

If you post that you had to work late or you pulled a double shift and will post later....you forfeit your winning take it. Valid Doctor's excuse is about the only acceptable reason for not posting.

I think the 500 post requirement entices people to just post for the sake of posting, rather than waiting and making comments that are relevant.

We all know people who talk to hear themselves talk. I am rather certain there are people who post the same way. Is that the requirement we really want?

Also, it seems that if I want 500 posts, I could just sit on a single thread and just keep posting one word comments until I get to 500. That is not much deterrent.

These are just my opinions and take them for what they are worth. I have never claimed anything on PIF. I sometimes see things I like, but often think someone else might want it more and so I let it pass. So maybe I shouldn't even be commenting.

I like reading this thread because of the idea of "paying it forward". It makes me feel good to think collectors want to give to other collectors.

All the recent fighting and bickering has really changed the mood and that is unfortunate.

Someone could theoretically post something, instantly delete it, post again, delete it, etc and build up their post count. Every single time you post something, even if deleted, it still counts as a post. You could literally look at a user's post history and see ONE post, but their post count would read 500.

Post count does nothing.

I understand it was claimed, I also know we are waiting on JLW to put his offer up. I have read many pages of this thread today, some humorous, some serious, and some stupid. I was a nice offer and I thought it would be a nice gesture to state it.

Back to the regularly scheduled discussion thread.

All the recent fighting and bickering has really changed the mood and that is unfortunate.

Recent?! This same fighting and bickering has been going on for years! :eek:

Sorry, my mistake. I have not been following this thread for years, and I do not watch it religiously. The times I have logged on and checked it (in the past), it was good and everyone was playing nice in the sandbox with one another.

I don't think the original poster had this in mind when he started this thread.

In order to try and prevent collusion, and Schilling, I do think there should be some sort of minimum requirement participate. I like the idea of 500 posts or one year membership.

This would be my vote. We've tried other things and for better or worse I think the PIF kinda works the way it is now.

Nothing can prevent a shill or donkey from showing up but they don't usually last long and I think more posts or 1 year membership would probably cut down on it even further.

Recent?! This same fighting and bickering has been going on for years! :eek:

Sorry, my mistake. I have not been following this thread for years, and I do not watch it religiously. The times I have logged on and checked it (in the past), it was good and everyone was playing nice in the sandbox with one another.

I don't think the original poster had this in mind when he started this thread.

It gets crazy regularly, followed by periods of quiet PIFfery. The people who don't currently play but have been hurt in similar threads in the past (and I guess that includes just about everyone who comes to Comics General by now) sometimes have flashbacks and go all :pullhair: but unfortunately those flashbacks can be triggered by less than stellar behavior here in the thread. So it serves its' function in the culling and controlling of the herd. It isn't pretty though.

I like the rules just fine as they stand. People are so impatient now. There are few enough people participating as it is, do we think these changes will increase the pool of active players?

I am up for whatever changes would make those vets who gets so :frustrated: that they quit come and play again.

Paying It Forward to me includes not judging the needs of the person claiming my offers. Should you only PIF to those who don't need it? Of course those who make bad decisions are more in need of charity. Perhaps through the community voice such individuals can be rehabilitated and brought into the fold instead of being stoned. I applaud the policing of the thread and think the veto rule is already "official" even though no one but the OP can go and edit the rules in the first post.

well, that went on longer than I intended. :tonofbricks:

I think the 500 post requirement entices people to just post for the sake of posting, rather than waiting and making comments that are relevant.

We all know people who talk to hear themselves talk. I am rather certain there are people who post the same way. Is that the requirement we really want?

Also, it seems that if I want 500 posts, I could just sit on a single thread and just keep posting one word comments until I get to 500. That is not much deterrent.

These are just my opinions and take them for what they are worth. I have never claimed anything on PIF. I sometimes see things I like, but often think someone else might want it more and so I let it pass. So maybe I shouldn't even be commenting.

I like reading this thread because of the idea of "paying it forward". It makes me feel good to think collectors want to give to other collectors.

But if someone does post 500 one word comments, we will know. We all see everyone's posts. If someone is abusing the post numbering, they will be called out on it. Also, like Swick said, if they delete their posts, we will see that too and can call them out on that as well.

I like the 500 post requirement because it help the person become a member of the boards. They will not be a person who casually reads and says nothing. This would be a person who contributes to the board. We get to know them just like they got to know us.

The 500 is an arbitrary number though...we could make it 300 posts and one year of membership. Or like Swick said, reduce them for successful transactions.

charity is a word I only used as I could not find another better word. Yes, I know that we are traders here and have been quoted here in the thread (as evidence of being evil I guess) as saying so in the past :kidaround:

I tried to trade a slabbed Famous Monsters of Filmland but the only response I got was snark that I didn't have anything I wanted to get in return but stated I wanted something cool. I understand that since it was a trade thread but my point was that I was offering this book and finding one person with exactly what I wanted who ALSO wanted the FMoF was unlikely but someone who wanted the FMoF probably had something I would rather own. Matching exact trade items is tough. That is why PIF is a great set-up for those who are only interested in trading. And for those who try to give as good as they get or better, they get to also PIF to the community