• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Amazing Spider-man review thread (All reviews here )

220 posts in this topic

There's more than seeds missing from this Spidey. I think they forgot the Special Sauce. hm

So you saw it then?

I saw that Glee trailer. That will have to suffice until they have a half off night at Redbox.

joe_collector asked me to tell you to stop stealing his schtick. (tsk) I told him you were just filling in for his negativity temporarily until he returns and that he should look at it as an honor. :angel:

:signfunny:

:applause:

There's more than seeds missing from this Spidey. I think they forgot the Special Sauce. hm

So you saw it then?

I saw that Glee trailer. That will have to suffice until they have a half off night at Redbox.

joe_collector asked me to tell you to stop stealing his schtick. (tsk) I told him you were just filling in for his negativity temporarily until he returns and that he should look at it as an honor. :angel:

I find it to be quite refreshing. I may keep it for a while. It keeps you dateless comic nerds on the edge. hm

I think Ultimate Spider-Man would have been a better title than Amazing Spider-Man 2c

I couldn't agree more that is why I mentioned this very phrase on page 2 of this thread.

(thumbs u

There is just too many loop holes for this to be "Amazing" to me...

one of them that I can't believe nobody has said yet is the spider that bit him

there are thousand of them for study in the lab and nobody else got bitten???

EVA??? Did I miss something here???

I mean unless I am missing something (and I must be because this hasn't been brought up)

You would think that Oscorp, would have spider people all over the place.

I am sure there is an easy explanation to this, but there were so many WTH's in

it - it was hard to recover from one without having to deal with another one.

Just 3 minutes before this scene, unbiten parker was able to see a security combination

from 20 yards away with the person punching it in with there backs to them and parker

guesses it right the FIRST TIME and bingo he's in???

Just 3 minutes before this scene, unbiten parker was able to see a security combination

from 20 yards away with the person punching it in with there backs to them and parker

There are so many ridiculous plot devices like this one that take place when Peter goes to Oscorp for the first time that it's unreal, everything from how he gets in, to having 17-year old Gwen leading everybody around in her thigh-highs, to her not doing anything about Peter slipping away almost immediately (and nobody doing anything about a random teenager bumbling around the high security lab alone), to him being able to access the spiders (again: why???? What's his motivation???? Don't you people fawning over this wretched film ask any critical questions????) or him not even feeling the spider crawling around on his bare skin for a while until it finally bites him. I mean, please, it just required a suspension of disbelief on a Herculean scale. And that was just that one sequence! And let's not even get started on the utterly ludicrous plot devices employed when he's fighting the Lizard in the sewer system... :facepalm:

There are so many ridiculous plot devices like this one that take place when Peter goes to Oscorp for the first time that it's unreal, everything from how he gets in, to having 17-year old Gwen leading everybody around in her thigh-highs, to her not doing anything about Peter slipping away almost immediately (and nobody doing anything about a random teenager bumbling around the lab alone), to him being able to access the spiders (again: why???? What's his motivation???? Don't you people fawning over this wretched film ask any critical questions????) or him not even feeling the spider crawling around on his bare skin for a while until it finally bites him. I mean, please, it just required a suspension of disbelief on a Herculean scale. And that was just that one sequence! And let's not even get started on the utterly ludicrous plot devices employed when he's fighting the Lizard in the sewer system... :facepalm:

(worship)

I am with you 100%...

I really wanted to like this movie and I had my bar set ridiculously low due to the reviews.

I have single 500,000 ton fully loaded aircraft carrier flying per movie realm of believability...

once it crosses that then it's too late.

:insane:

I think Ultimate Spider-Man would have been a better title than Amazing Spider-Man 2c

I couldn't agree more that is why I mentioned this very phrase on page 2 of this thread.

(thumbs u

There is just too many loop holes for this to be "Amazing" to me...

one of them that I can't believe nobody has said yet is the spider that bit him

there are thousand of them for study in the lab and nobody else got bitten???

EVA??? Did I miss something here???

I mean unless I am missing something (and I must be because this hasn't been brought up)

You would think that Oscorp, would have spider people all over the place.

I am sure there is an easy explanation to this, but there were so many WTH's in

it - it was hard to recover from one without having to deal with another one.

If you read Ultimate Spider-Man,it's very similar to the movie reboot.

And USM is better story wise then ASM 2c

There are so many ridiculous plot devices like this one that take place when Peter goes to Oscorp for the first time that it's unreal, everything from how he gets in, to having 17-year old Gwen leading everybody around in her thigh-highs, to her not doing anything about Peter slipping away almost immediately (and nobody doing anything about a random teenager bumbling around the high security lab alone), to him being able to access the spiders (again: why???? What's his motivation???? Don't you people fawning over this wretched film ask any critical questions????) or him not even feeling the spider crawling around on his bare skin for a while until it finally bites him. I mean, please, it just required a suspension of disbelief on a Herculean scale. And that was just that one sequence! And let's not even get started on the utterly ludicrous plot devices employed when he's fighting the Lizard in the sewer system... :facepalm:

I agree (which I stated in my shorter "review" of the movie), but many people don't care and/or just love Spiderman so it doesn't matter.

I agree (which I stated in my shorter "review" of the movie), but many people don't care and/or just love Spiderman so it doesn't matter.

I know. I guess I expected more from my fellow fanboys, who deserved better from Marvel's flagship character after the string of other successes the company and its licensees have had lately.

And, speaking of other ridiculous plot devices:

How about the way PP pilfers the ID and gets into Oscorp? I just started a new job and got a new building ID the other week, and I don't work for a top-secret, high-security scientific laboratory vulnerable to industrial espionage. Guess what? It has my photo on it. I had to get vetted and approved by the company. Like there is any way any of that entire sequence was plausible. :eyeroll:

And how did Spidey know which car the thief was going to steal? He's just hanging out in the backseat waiting. Just absolutely ridiculous story points like this that have no reason or purpose behind them are littered all over the film. I did like the gratuitous Claude LeLouch reference during that sequence - totally out of place and out of character for PP to have any idea who LeLouch is, but I did like that.

Also, why is PP still using a film camera? And how convenient that he used a label maker to put his name on it so the Lizard could figure out his identity. But, it was even more convenient that Connors filmed his entire scheme and so all PP had to do was hit the play button on his computer. How fortuitous! Not that it was ever clearly explained exactly what the Lizard's motivation was for his dastardly plan - the -script and editing on this film was horrendous.

(Moving this post here from FFB's thread...)

It was, simply put, the stupidest movie I have ever seen. From the use of the newscaster voice-over providing inane narrative ("Hurr, durr, I don't know if Spidey's gonna make it!") to the preposterous Michael Bay-like crane scene (complete with a gratuitous shot of a giant American flag because... well, Amurrika), it was a cinematic abortion on an epic scale.

And I typically won't complain about "acting" in a movie because that's really just not an assessment that I think can be fairly made, but Andrew Garfield... man. There were scenes in which he was using interpretive dance techniques to show his emotion and move the scene. It may not be fair to pick on him for that, that may be the director's fault to have so thin a --script and so terrible a story, but damn.

There was just so, so much wrong with this movie. We were cracking up after the first act once we realized what we were in for. So, if you're up for a cliche-riddled cheesefest, you're in for a treat. However, if your brain is still intact, you're going to wish it weren't by the time you realize you really ARE going to watch Spider-Man web-sling himself across 60 New York streets in real time. (Turns out it takes much, much longer than you would expect.)

I know. I guess I expected more from my fellow fanboys, who deserved better from Marvel's flagship character after the string of other successes the company and its licensees have had lately.

And, speaking of other ridiculous plot devices:

How about the way PP pilfers the ID and gets into Oscorp? I just started a new job and got a new building ID the other week, and I don't work for a top-secret, high-security scientific laboratory vulnerable to industrial espionage. Guess what? It has my photo on it. I had to get vetted and approved by the company. Like there is any way any of that entire sequence was plausible. :eyeroll:

And how did Spidey know which car the thief was going to steal? He's just hanging out in the backseat waiting. Just absolutely ridiculous story points like this that have no reason or purpose behind them are littered all over the film. I did like the gratuitous Claude LeLouch reference during that sequence - totally out of place and out of character for PP to have any idea who LeLouch is, but I did like that.

Also, why is PP still using a film camera? And how convenient that he used a label maker to put his name on it so the Lizard could figure out his identity. But, it was even more convenient that Connors filmed his entire scheme and so all PP had to do was hit the play button on his computer. How fortuitous! Not that it was ever clearly explained exactly what the Lizard's motivation was for his dastardly plan - the -script and editing on this film was horrendous.

Gads, that scene with the video of the Lizard's plot was HILARIOUS. And how did a one-armed man get all that equipment down into the sewer? And why were there so many lizards living in NYC?

I didn't like it.

The first hour is boring. Peter Parker as a skater boy? :facepalm:

The scene (morning after Parker is bitten) with the toothpaste and the faucets in the bathroom was just dumb. The second part of the movie was much better.

Hands down, the effects are excellent. But, overall, in my opinion the movie is not that good.

Haven't you heard? All superheroes are required to acclimate themselves to new powers/abilities in the bathrooms now:

Wolverine2.gif

Just saw it with my son in IMAX 3D and really liked it. Without question the best of the 4 Spidey movies IMO. I liked this dude as Spidey so much better than Toby I can't even put it into words. I'd put this a few shades below the Avengers but easily the best of the Spideys (thumbs u

Another great Marvel movie. They are on FIRE!!!

Just saw it with my son in IMAX 3D and really liked it. Without question the best of the 4 Spidey movies IMO. I liked this dude as Spidey so much better than Toby I can't even put it into words. I'd put this a few shades below the Avengers but easily the best of the Spideys (thumbs u

Another great Marvel movie. They are on FIRE!!!

Personally I think one of the reasons so many seem to like Garfield better than Magurie is probably subconsciously they prefer a Peter Parker who shows his genius as opposed to just talking about it. Seeing him create a fairly realistic costume, work on the web shooters etc etc.

Personally, I don't think that played a part. For me, this guy just looked MUCH more how I always envisioned him than Toby did. That dude is a GREAT actor! I dont know what else he's been in but he was awesome in Social Network and great in this movie! :applause:

He looks like a young Norman Bates to me. Creepy.

lol

Now that you say that, I do see the resemblance. I wouldn't exactly call him creepy but regardless he's a hell of an actor IMO!

What else has he starred in besides Social !network?

Oh and btw, I just don't get this fascination with Emma Stone ???

She's a good actress and pretty cute. I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed but everyone making her out to be so hot and sexy??? I just don't see it! (shrug)

I've waited 24 hours to decide for sure how I felt about the movie. Overall I was unsatisfied. The movie itself is good and Garfiled is arguably a better, more interesting Peter Parker. In costume McGuire and Garfield seemed slightly different but equal.

The critics like the movie and it's making good money. But then the critics LOVED the first two movies and they may have made more money, only time will tell. I won't be going to the theater to see this movie again and I went multiple times to the first two.

No matter how hard I try, there are aspects of the movie that as a collector I just can't go with. For one we've already seen MJ which is Spidey's real romantic partner. We all know Gwen isn't going to last. It makes little sense for Peter to reveal he is Spider-Man to Gwen so quickly. It made far more sense the way Peter played his secret ID in the first two movies.

I've never cared for the comics and so I do not care for a movie where Spider-Man's agility is played up and his strength played down. It does not take Spider-Man multiple punches to knock out the average, non super powered criminal. Daredevil waded into a crowded bar and kicked 15-20 tough guy's ^^s. Spider-Man runs from a motely crowd of fewer people. In the 1960's Marvel universe Spider-Man was supposed to be only slightly less strong than the Thing.

JJJ missing is so glaring a mistake in the story line that it hurts. Peter Parker took pictures of Spider-Man to sell to JJ from practically the beginning. That JJ hates Spider-Man and Peter Parker sells him pictures is part of the bedrock of the character.

A skateboard? REALLY? A SKATEBOARD? w h a t e v e r....

I've waited 24 hours to decide for sure how I felt about the movie. Overall I was unsatisfied. The movie itself is good and Garfiled is arguably a better, more interesting Peter Parker. In costume McGuire and Garfield seemed slightly different but equal.

The critics like the movie and it's making good money. But then the critics LOVED the first two movies and they may have made more money, only time will tell. I won't be going to the theater to see this movie again and I went multiple times to the first two.

No matter how hard I try, there are aspects of the movie that as a collector I just can't go with. For one we've already seen MJ which is Spidey's real romantic partner. We all know Gwen isn't going to last. It makes little sense for Peter to reveal he is Spider-Man to Gwen so quickly. It made far more sense the way Peter played his secret ID in the first two movies.

I've never cared for the comics and so I do not care for a movie where Spider-Man's agility is played up and his strength played down. It does not take Spider-Man multiple punches to knock out the average, non super powered criminal. Daredevil waded into a crowded bar and kicked 15-20 tough guy's ^^s. Spider-Man runs from a motely crowd of fewer people. In the 1960's Marvel universe Spider-Man was supposed to be only slightly less strong than the Thing.

JJJ missing is so glaring a mistake in the story line that it hurts. Peter Parker took pictures of Spider-Man to sell to JJ from practically the beginning. That JJ hates Spider-Man and Peter Parker sells him pictures is part of the bedrock of the character.

A skateboard? REALLY? A SKATEBOARD? w h a t e v e r....

Funny, having grown up with the early issues of ASM I see Gwen as his real romantic interest and MJ as a replacement.

I saw Spidey running from a motley crowd as a sign of his inexperience with his new found powers. Didn't bother me at all. And Spidey was never close to the Thing in strength. He compensated with his speed and agility.

I loved JJ in the previous movies and hoped to see him here but if you view this movie as the first few issues in the original ASM we saw his origin, the introduction of his family and girlfriend, and his first battle with a super villian.

That being said I enjoyed the movie but was disappointed with much of the -script. Really hated the scene when the crook broke into the car and Spidey was inside waiting. Made zero sense.