• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

Congrats Jason for the big #57, and Peter and all other winners.

That' the biggest auction I've ever watched before, fun for everyone.

:golfclap:

BTW, did I miss FF 3, I don't recall it going so high, $120k? I recall the FF 1 and 2, the 4, 5, and the sweet 12 too.

I agree, congrats to all who won.

I watched as much as I could today and showed some non comic people the prices that these items were fetching...people couldn't believe it. lol

I missed the FF3. I saw the 1 and 2 then I happened to get distracted with work and next thing up was a whole other run.

That FF 1 was sweet.

What happened to the FF 3? I had that at 75K easy.

I thought the #3 ended between 35 and 40k?

Dan

Yeah, that's what I mean. Way lower than I expected.

What happened to the FF 3? I had that at 75K easy.

....I would speculate that investment potential may be more of a factor than I had previously thought at that level. It must have been a lot of Schmell vs. Brulato in the FF market......both avowed lovers of the title. With Schmell out.... (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Dan

The FF #4 9.6 went a little on the soft side as well. I sold a copy for $50K+ last year, this one went somewhere in the $30K range.

Someone got a steal on two very important, very tough books.

#1 goes for just a touch under 275K. What is the consensus of this price considering a non-ped copy (Cheetah's?) sold for 250K in Oct 11.

Avengers #4 goes for substantially under its high in 9.6.

$91,500 Feb 2011 Comiclink.

$69,500 this March

$50,787.50 today.

I had the auction in the corner of my screen while I work, glancing at it now and again and thinking "wow, those prices are insane." Then I check here and find they apparently aren't insane enough.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking also. (thumbs u

Cleatly the prices are starting to come back to reality as the number of potential buyers who play in this end of the pool are miniscule at best and have probably lost their interest in comics already. hm

asm 328 cover @ 657k..
That was crazy

Definitely agreed with you here! :screwy:

With the way the bidding was progressing so rapidly, it appeared as though the eventual winner was determined to get this artwork, no matter what the final price was. I was almost tempted to hit the red button to do a little bit of punishent bidding at the end. lol

BTW: I would much rather take Steranko's Hulk cover over this Spidey and Hulk cover by MacFarlane. I wonder how much some of Steranko's artwork would go for in today's market? hm

Can't wait for the original art for Liefeld's classic Cap cover with the 60" chest to hit the marketplace as that one should be good for a few more laughs. lol

Shoot, I thought you had bought the PC #1. :baiting:

Yeah, I wish!

I am not even REMOTELY in the league for that unfortunately! What did the 1 go for?

I didn't see the 1st like 20 Avengers. I left work at like 12:30 to get home in plenty of time to get on the computer since its like a 5 minute ride but thank god I also set up the phone bidding. There was a HUGE wreck on the highway and I didn't move a single inch for like an hour, literally had the car in park for 40 minutes! I couldn't get it to pull up on my phone and was REALLY nervous they weren't going to call since that's what happened last time I tried phone bidding a few months ago. They called right on schedule though and I got blown out of the water on the 1st 10-12 I was bidding on. When I finally won Avengers 42, the lady on the phone laughed and was like "woohoo! You finally won one!!!". lol

I wasn't planning on the 57 at all cus I was sure it would be way too high. I didn't even look at the auctions until yesterday and was shocked it was still sitting so low. Last night I actually started dreaming it was a possibility but in the back of my mind, I was still sure it would blow past 10k not counting the BP. Started today at $6500, I did 7000. Immediately went to 7500 and I went 8. That 10-15 seconds with the auctioneer asking 85? 85? 85? 85? Over and over and over again was the longest 15 seconds of my dang life!!! :eek:

That's just an absolutely nice story for you to share with the board members here. (thumbs u

Congratgs on finally being able to pick up your all-time comic book grail. :applause:

Dan

The FF #4 9.6 went a little on the soft side as well. I sold a copy for $50K+ last year, this one went somewhere in the $30K range.

That's certainly one way of looking at it.

Of course have you ever considered the possibility that your buyer from last year at $50K simply got totally reamed with those particular transactions through no fault of your own. Especially when there is probably no hope for the book to go back up to those lofty levels in the forseeable futrue. hm

Sounds as though there were some newbie BSD suckers passing through the marketplace a few years ago, similar to what Parrino and Keller did when they took their short little walks through the comic book marketplace with their wallets wide open. lol:tonofbricks:

Does seem like a mixed bag so far. WM FF 1 got a good bump over its price from 2 years ago ($203k today, an increase of $60k over last time), but the WM FF 2 went from $87k this past Feb to $49k now.

I don't get it--how was that a sale? It wasn't--Doug bought the White Mountain FF 2 a long time ago when it was a 9.4. ??? Looks like a sale that didn't go through yet is in GPA. :eyeroll:

Dan

That's certainly one way of looking at it.

Of course have you ever considered the possibility that your buyer from last year at $50K simply got totally reamed with those particular transactions through no fault of your own. Especially when there is probably no hope for the book to go back up to those lofty levels in the forseeable futrue. hm

Sounds as though there were some newbie BSD suckers passing through the marketplace a few years ago, similar to what Parrino and Keller did when they took their short little walks through the comic book marketplace with their wallets wide open. lol:tonofbricks:

I guess if you have a very negative outlook then everything is going to look negative to you. It was actually an experienced buyer who bought the book from me, not some noob.

Much like when Doug's FF #1 9.4 sold too cheap at $200,000 I think this was the case here. Both are very tough books and fairly important books. There are a few books that slipped through the cracks and I think whoever picked them up will do well.

All the tough FFs have proven to be not nearly as tough anymore--the last 2-3 years have seen multiple 9.6 or 9.8 copies come to market of virtually every issue you saw zero copies of the previous decade.

Cleatly the prices are starting to come back to reality as the number of potential buyers who play in this end of the pool are miniscule at best and have probably lost their interest in comics already. hm

:facepalm:

The number of buyers who play in this end of the pool seem to be growing, not diminishing, as can be seen by the record numbers for many of these books. At least that is my perception based on what I've seen.

The higher priced sales of Avengers #4 were outliers, possibly of books that people thought had a shot at 9.8 (those outlier sales happened when there were no 9.8 sales).

Yes, there is a plateauing of prices for many books but many of them are sill selling at ridiculously strong numbers. $50,000 for an Avengers #4 is a ridiculously strong number no matter what year your time machine arrives in.

All the tough FFs have proven to be not nearly as tough anymore--the last 2-3 years have seen multiple 9.6 copies come to market of virtually every issue you saw zero copies of the previous decade.

#2-4 are still tough books in grade, even if their census numbers have risen.

There are no 9.8's of #4 and I know people that would love to have one.

There is only 1 9.6 and 1 9.8 of #3 (with 2 9.4 and 4 9.2 copies). Also still a tough book, relatively speaking.

I think it's also worth mentioning that this was a unique auction. There's NEVER been an auction like this with so many hG big dollar books at once. If he had spread it out 1 title a month, I really think the results would have been better. I really don't think you can look at these results and make any assumptions about the market or a books value.

I think it's also worth mentioning that this was a unique auction. There's NEVER been an auction like this with so many hG big dollar books at once. If he had spread it out 1 title a month, I really think the results would have been better. I really don't think you can look at these results and make any assumptions about the market or a books value.

Agreed.

Keys at a well exposed auction always perform at top of the market (or are generally decent indicators). For run collectors/customers there are plenty of guys who can only afford a book at a time, maybe a book a month or whatever. They still love all the 9.6 and 9.8 stuff but they can't afford to buy 10 books at a time.

Pouring all of these books into one auction definitely limits prices realized for several reasons, the most obvious being people only have so much money to spend but also people only have so much time in a day to sit at an auction and continue to bid.

It would be interesting to see if a single person picked up a large run from these auctions.