• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

...but many of them are sill selling at ridiculously strong numbers. $50,000 for an Avengers #4 is a ridiculously strong number no matter what year your time machine arrives in.

That is correct.

(shrug)

Looked a bit soft for the assigned grade, but still happy with it:

That's really cool! No idea you were interested in Doctor Solar. Nice

pickup!

Being stealthy - I'm only missing the 5 and a handful of the last issues, and haven't posted the run in the registry.

Congrats!

Thanks! Who can resist a story about a scientist becoming a fantastic being?

On a side note, I did a sales thread with like 4 SA Avengers slabs from 9.2-9.8's like 6-8 weeks ago. All of them were UNDER gpa and not only did I not sell any, I didn't even get a single pm or offer! :cry:

And these were NICE copies! Granted, that's a SMALL sample size but again, not even a single pm or lowball offer. Not one! hm

I remember being absolutely SHOCKED by prices paid for Avengers books back in 2009-2010. This was a title that was moribund while practically every other SA Marvel was making significant increases in price from 1999-2005. Heck, it was mostly a dead title even before that....and I mean, Daredevil-type dead.

So, now that the movie hype had died down, and the big wallets have dropped out, I don't find it shocking that it resumes its place as a B-tier title. Granted, the movie has hopefully exposed new collectors to it, and increase in the property has increased overall, but let's be honest here, Ditko Spider-man and Kirby Fantastic Four it never was.

Those were all actually VERY good prices IMO. The "originally cost" prices were far, far, FAR beyond retarded and were never going to happen. Those books were never "worth" that except to a few people willing to greatly overpay for top registry honors. The prices they got today pretty far exceeded what comparable Twin Cities and Suscha News book got lately. Almost every single one went well above what they were actually worth or FMV IMO.

Doug may have gotten killed based on what he paid because of bidding wars and top registry wars but the prices they got today were far from "getting killed" and we're actually damn good

That's really cool! No idea you were interested in Doctor Solar. Nice

pickup!

Being stealthy - I'm only missing the 5 and a handful of the last issues, and haven't posted the run in the registry.

Great book! I have always admired those Dr Solar covers. (thumbs u

So, now that the movie hype had died down, and the big wallets have dropped out, I don't find it shocking that it resumes its place as a B-tier title. Granted, the movie has hopefully exposed new collectors to it, and increase in the property has increased overall, but let's be honest here, Ditko Spider-man and Kirby Fantastic Four it never was.

+1

That's why I sold my Avengers books when the movie was about to be released. It was the time to get out in my opinion.

On a side note, I did a sales thread with like 4 SA Avengers slabs from 9.2-9.8's like 6-8 weeks ago. All of them were UNDER gpa and not only did I not sell any, I didn't even get a single pm or offer! :cry:

And these were NICE copies! Granted, that's a SMALL sample size but again, not even a single pm or lowball offer. Not one! hm

I remember being absolutely SHOCKED by prices paid for Avengers books back in 2009-2010. This was a title that was moribund while practically every other SA Marvel was making significant increases in price from 1999-2005. Heck, it was mostly a dead title even before that....and I mean, Daredevil-type dead.

True but all of this has been distorted beyond belief. Most people are looking at ONE SINGLE gpa sale and thinking that's the FMV of a 9.8 Avengers book. Just because Doug, cheetah, or whoever else were willing to VASTLY overpay for a single highest graded copy of an issue 3-5 years ago doesn't mean that's the FMV of the book especially now that there are 2,3,4,5,6 or more 9.8 copies of those issues.

If anyone thought some of those books were really 4-5k books because there was a SINGLE sale of that issue back then, I don't know what to say. We all know what happens when a single highest graded comes to market and subsequently what happens when more 9.8's come to light. Those single sale prices were freaking crazy whatever caused them and were NEVER the FMV of those books. The prices Thursday and today were MUCH more in line with the FMV and IMO pretty damn good prices! Higher than I expected but of course they are NEVER going to be in the same league as ASM, FF or really even XMen. No matter how much money the movie made, Avengers always has and probably for the foreseeable future will be a 2nd tier title at best (thumbs u

FMV is whatever someone is willing to pay at the time.

At the time when Doug and others were bidding up Avengers HG books, that was FMV then.

Now that they aren't worth as much because people aren't willing to spend as much or bid them up due to more HG copies being available....that's FMV as well.

On a side note, I pretty much VLOSELY followed EVERY single Avengers auction on all the sites for the last 12-15 months. I don't know what the hell everyone is talking about with all this "movie hype driving up prices" talk??? (shrug)

That NEVER happened unless you are talking about issues 1-16. After that, they have been pretty much dead that entire time. Unless is was over two years ago, there was no pre movie hype or run ups. I bought almost every one of my Avengers slabs in the last 18 months and outside of the VERY early issues, 1-16, they all came dirt cheap. More than half of them were all time gpa lows or within like 5% of the alltime low. Anyone that thinks issues 17-100 had some runup before the movie and now has dropped hasn't been following the prices. It never happened. Prices have been down the entire time and the movie really didn't play any role or cause any increase at all from what I saw and I followed them as close or closer than ANYONE.

If it wasn't a VERY early book, the movie had no affect whatsoever (thumbs u

At the time when Doug and others were bidding up Avengers HG books, that was FMV then.

Now that they aren't worth as much because people aren't willing to spend as much or bid them up due to more HG copies being available....that's FMV as well.

IMO, that's completely wrong. 1,2 or 3 people are not the market. Just because a very small handful of people are willing to pay MUCH more than most people, that doesn't make it FMV in my book. The market is a lot bigger than the 2,3,4 top BSDs.

If me and one other person are crazy in love with a book that everyone else in the hobby thinks is worth $500 and drive it up to 3k, that isn't it's FMV IMO. To me, a couple people overpaying to win top registry awards isn't what makes FMV (shrug)

Those were all actually VERY good prices IMO. The "originally cost" prices were far, far, FAR beyond retarded....

Doug may have gotten killed based on what he paid because of bidding wars and top registry wars but the prices they got today were far from "getting killed" and we're actually damn good.

I agree.

The "originally cost" prices were far, far, FAR beyond retarded and were never going to happen. Those books were never "worth" that except to a few people willing to greatly overpay for top registry honors.

Given your second sentence, it's still possible that those prices may happen again. Never understimate the power of ego. CGC created its registry to profit from precisely that. While some of us here have no interest in fattening CGC's profits by indulging our egos, clearly others have no such qualms.

:preach:

Oh I definitely agree. Someday there will be another registry war between someone. My only point was that a crazy price paid in a registry war or for a single highest graded that's no longer a single highest graded isn't FMV.

Look at the RM 57 I bought. I don't even think what I paid is FMV! Obviously I was willing to pay more than anyone else cus I'm a Vision and Pedigree freak. The price I was willing to pay because I love the book more than anyone else doesn automatically become FMV for the book though IMO (shrug)

IMO, that's completely wrong. 1,2 or 3 people are not the market. Just because a very small handful of people are willing to pay MUCH more than most people, that doesn't make it FMV in my book. The market is a lot bigger than the 2,3,4 top BSDs.

If me and one other person are crazy in love with a book that everyone else in the hobby thinks is worth $500 and drive it up to 3k, that isn't it's FMV IMO. To me, a couple people overpaying to win top registry awards isn't what makes FMV (shrug)

I don't agree. It doesn't matter if two people or 50 people are willing to pay a certain amount for an item....if they think the price is fair enough to pay it...then it is FMV.

The definition of FMV is:

"The amount for which real property or Personal Property would be sold in a voluntary transaction between a buyer and seller, neither of whom is under any obligation to buy or sell."

We can debate that the prices were well beyond historical data and that they were insane prices paid but for those people who paid them....it's FMV.

Was the AF15 that sold for 1.1 million FMV? I'd say so. Again, we can debate if the price paid was inflated but to those who bought and sold...it's FMV.

Just my opinion.

Pun :)