• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Breakout Walking Dead Comic

176 posts in this topic

It has been estimated that there are only 50 to 100 original copies of Action Comics #1 thought to exist and a smaller number of such exceptional quality as to be at the very high end of collectibility.

even if TWD one day plummeted in value I could see a resurgence in value happen around the same time most "retro" stuff makes a come back. once the 13-16 year olds now who love the walking dead but can't even do anything but dream about buying the early issues in high grade condition right now... once those kids go to school......get real jobs.... and start making actual legit $$$ for a living and then return back to their interests as a kid that they wanted then but couldnt' afford.

same reason I'd bet half of us are here and buy the way we do now. I know I couldn't buy comics the way I do now back when i was a kid... did I want to? of course just couldn't afford to.

once the interest surges back from those people 15-20-25 years from now and those smaller print run items are even fewer and fewer and further between and during that stretch the serious collectors throughout that time will have hordes of anything they could get their hands on.

more or less whether it dives in value or not now I can see it still being in demand years and years from now in regards to TWD

Really? Do teenagers read the Walking Dead? I honestly thought that most of the readers were in an older age group (closer to 40)

even if TWD one day plummeted in value I could see a resurgence in value happen around the same time most "retro" stuff makes a come back. once the 13-16 year olds now who love the walking dead but can't even do anything but dream about buying the early issues in high grade condition right now... once those kids go to school......get real jobs.... and start making actual legit $$$ for a living and then return back to their interests as a kid that they wanted then but couldnt' afford.

same reason I'd bet half of us are here and buy the way we do now. I know I couldn't buy comics the way I do now back when i was a kid... did I want to? of course just couldn't afford to.

once the interest surges back from those people 15-20-25 years from now and those smaller print run items are even fewer and fewer and further between and during that stretch the serious collectors throughout that time will have hordes of anything they could get their hands on.

more or less whether it dives in value or not now I can see it still being in demand years and years from now in regards to TWD

Really? Do teenagers read the Walking Dead? I honestly thought that most of the readers were in an older age group (closer to 40)

:cry:

"Oh Gawd, I've finally become like one of those 'teenagers' at the Peach Pit during the original 90120 series".

Just to confirm I wasn't being serious about $1 mil.

However - I do believe first prints will hold significant value in future years.

Its the nature of youth nowadays.

Superman is some old fart in a cape who doesn't drink,do drugs engage in meaningless sex, or pump out a huge body count.

For most of todays marker,its as boring as hell - thats got to be painfull for some to hear but its true.

TWD is the first series (comic/TV) that has engaged audiences world wide, due to the fact that the characters represent todays society - with all their flaws.

In fact the only issue not touched on were drugs - the butchery count is way up there.

Money talks - and the walking dead is a winner.

Thats why comic books are being scoured for the 'next big one' by studios.

No-one can see that Clark Kent is actually Superman?

With todays advances in entertainment mediums - that kind of stuff is just too lame for younger people.

Thats why Superman bombed and TWD is setting records.

Sooner people realise times have already changed,the better.

Tin hat on - ready for incoming. :tonofbricks:

Avengers $1.5 billion worldwide box office. that's 150mm+ tickets. what exactly is TWD's weekly TV audience? 6mm. you are either a shill or oblivious.

In Andy's defense, he did say SERIES. If there was an Avengers on going tv series then you could compare.

Do teenagers read the Walking Dead? I honestly thought that most of the readers were in an older age group (closer to 40)

We shouldn't assume things we don't know and can't prove. Not saying you're wrong or right.

I'm sure there's teenagers reading walking dead but they aren't the ones buying the comics, at least not back issues. I'd assume the comic collectors are the ones in the 25-40 age group (in working years with disposable income). TBP and compendium have been in best sellers list for a while now, which is most likely being read by the other age groups. If you have the teenagers involved in the show, then in 10 years it could make the price of the comics jump once they have jobs. That's why you see TMNT possibly making a comeback. I grew up on that and now that I work, I can afford to buy dumb mess. From the teenagers I run into once in a while, the only thing I think they'd do with a comic book right now would be to rip up the pages and try to roll some weed up in the paper and smoke it. rantrant

I'd assume the comic collectors are the ones in the 25-40 age group.

now this i'd agree with. i happen to know a few people reading WD now (now as in started in the last 3-4 months), and all but myself are under 30. granted we're talking roughly 13 people.....

i would think that younger readers would be more apt to download the book, even more so than buying the trades.

Just to confirm I wasn't being serious about $1 mil.

However - I do believe first prints will hold significant value in future years.

Its the nature of youth nowadays.

Superman is some old fart in a cape who doesn't drink,do drugs engage in meaningless sex, or pump out a huge body count.

For most of todays marker,its as boring as hell - thats got to be painfull for some to hear but its true.

TWD is the first series (comic/TV) that has engaged audiences world wide, due to the fact that the characters represent todays society - with all their flaws.

In fact the only issue not touched on were drugs - the butchery count is way up there.

Money talks - and the walking dead is a winner.

Thats why comic books are being scoured for the 'next big one' by studios.

No-one can see that Clark Kent is actually Superman?

With todays advances in entertainment mediums - that kind of stuff is just too lame for younger people.

Thats why Superman bombed and TWD is setting records.

Sooner people realise times have already changed,the better.

Tin hat on - ready for incoming. :tonofbricks:

To be fair Smallville did last 10 years on tv,and the last Superman movie

outgrossed Wolverine,Captain America,Hulk and Fantastic Four,so Superman is still a viable character.

Smallville-Season-10-DVD1.jpg

It has been estimated that there are only 50 to 100 original copies of Action Comics #1 thought to exist and a smaller number of such exceptional quality as to be at the very high end of collectibility.

(thumbs u

Why GA Superman,Batman,Actions,Detectives,and Timely super heroes are good long term bets.

When I was set up in Detroit, 50% of the people who had shown a keen interest in WD were late teens to mid twenties, with many of them being girls.

I know that last year my daughters grade five class, WD the book and TV show was all the rage, with Monday mornings being all about what happened on WD last night. Kids are running to libraries to access the trades/hardcovers.

Jim

I honestly can't believe what I am reading. People really think TWD could be worth more than Action comics #1?

People don't collect Superman because of the story. They don't care who he is or what he stands for as much. Who pays millions of dollars for nostalgia. It is a piece of Americana. It is art. Most copies didn't survive decades of neglect and indifference. TWD is neither neither of those.

How many people would sell right now if given 50k for their TWD? Everyone! How many people would sell their Action #1 for 50k? Probably no one. Too many of these copies would come out of the woodwork before the price ever came close to Action #1.

Action Comics #1 is now art and that is the biggest difference of all.

I honestly can't believe what I am reading. People really think TWD could be worth more than Action comics #1?

COULD is the key word. and no one would be wrong for thinking that, just as long as they understand how many variables exist. i'm not saying i necessarily agree, but none of us knows what will happen in the future. will comic collectors still be around in enough numbers in 70 years? will money still exist in 70 years? will WD run long enough? we don't know the answers now.

How many people would sell right now if given 50k for their TWD? Everyone! How many people would sell their Action #1 for 50k?

you can't make that comparison. WD hasn't been around for 70 years.

awesome debate - thanks for reading properly before commenting - although there is always one...

And ,yes sorry, I had forgotten Smallville - both my boys watched it.

However they both LOVE TWD in both forms.

I know at work a lot of people in the 20 - 25 age group are avid readers/watchers.

Anything COULD happen but some things are so unlikely, they aren't worth serious discussion. Enjoy TWD for what it is not for some fairy tale you hope it turns out to be. I'm pretty sure the only person that could retire off of TWD will be Kirkman.