• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I sure do, IIRC all comic books dropped in value. So it's not like those 'safe' SA books didn't drop in value. Point is, imo, MA run the same risk of crashing like every other book no matter the age.

Jerome

not really, but ok

And this is totally accurate: Not really. These modern age books are like the junk bonds of the 80's...extremely high risk. People, even after the crash, still wanted FF #1. Nobody wanted, after the crash, Unity #0 Red. And there are more FF #1s in existence than Unity #0 Reds.

(And I suspect the people still looking for that book...myself included...perhaps numbered fewer than 100 nationwide.)

Take it to another thread bud. (thumbs u

-J.

I sure do, IIRC all comic books dropped in value. So it's not like those 'safe' SA books didn't drop in value. Point is, imo, MA run the same risk of crashing like every other book no matter the age.

Jerome

not really, but ok

And this is totally accurate: Not really. These modern age books are like the junk bonds of the 80's...extremely high risk. People, even after the crash, still wanted FF #1. Nobody wanted, after the crash, Unity #0 Red. And there are more FF #1s in existence than Unity #0 Reds.

(And I suspect the people still looking for that book...myself included...perhaps numbered fewer than 100 nationwide.)

Or it could be worth $4,000 in 5 years. There's risk no matter how you spend you money. But, I don't want to derail the thread anymore.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

Jerome

not really, but ok

Or it could be worth $4,000 in 5 years. There's risk no matter how you spend you money. But, I don't want to derail the thread anymore.

Jerome

Talking about the investment aspect of the book is not derailing the thread.

meh

Yes, it COULD be "worth $4,000 in 5 years." THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

The point is that it is far, far, FARRRR riskier than, say, FF #1 or Hulk #181.

If you accept that risk...great! But people should be aware that it's FAR riskier, when you flat out said "MA run the same risk of crashing ."

Same risk of "crashing" AT ALL? Yes.

Same risk of crashing TO THE SAME DEGREE? Not even remotely!

No one has said "there's no risk in this, and total risk in that." The point of wise investment is managing risk. And, if the idea is to invest $3,000 in a modern variant barely 5 years old, vs. a Hulk #181 in 8.5 (yikes!)...the wise investment is in the Hulk #181.

Investing in comics at all is foolish. I've been doing it for 26 years, and I'm hardly wealthy....and I did everything "right", according to conventional wisdom.

So, no, implying that the risk is the same for Modern variants over established keys is irresponsible. Buy it if you have the money and want it. Don't buy it because you "think it will go up in value."

Jerome

not really, but ok

-J.

Mind your own business bud. (thumbs u

-R.

I think that is my biggest pet peeve when people comment on my instagram page saying " i would rather use that money on a Hulk 181 or a silver key, or OA". If you want a Hulk 181 , silver key or OA go on and use your money to buy that stuff. Why are you so worried about how I spend my money? lol

I already have a Hulk 181, some OA and some silver keys anyway. Just let me live.

BTW This is coming form a guy that does not own a 678 .

*rant over

I'm bumping your post because it is awesome.

-J.

The market is much larger, with many more dollars in it, than it was in 2003.

We are on a bull run, and have been for quite some time.

Bull runs don't last forever.

The point isn't "you should spend your money on what I TELL you to spend your money on."

The point is: be careful. Yes, Silver Age did withdraw a bit in the late 90's, as everything else did. But nothing crashed as hard as the "rare" variants and other books that people spent hundreds of dollars on only a short time before.

And the keys...most of Golden and the big Silver...didn't withdraw at all. And...CGC skewed the market in ways that most people don't understand.

But consider this example: Aria was one of the hottest books in 1999. People were spending $50+ on the sketchbooks, $100 on the gold linen variant.

They're still rare. In fact, today, they're even rarer. There were still only 1,000 (or so) of the Aria gold linen sketchbooks made, and about 200 of them were damaged (according to Jimmy Jay.)

What are they worth now?

$10? $5?

Still rare. Still very hard to find.

But the public's interest moved on.

If you didn't live through the early and mid 90's as a collector, you're not going to have that perspective. No one is trying to be "down" on anyone and what they like. If you like it, and have the money, go nuts!

What people are saying is just to go into it with eyes wide open. That's all.

Understand that the book you're paying $3,000 for today, you may not be able to get $100 for in 5 years.

I hear ya. I don't argue that we are on a bull run now and prices like these are not sustainable for some books.

As for myself, I don't go around buying any and every variant. I I try to have a strict ,narrow focus when it comes to modern books.

I lived through the 90s, but not as a collector. I was just a kid who thought covers were cool . I didn't know and care about the massive print runs back then. I could care less about that when I was in elementary school. I was happy using my lunch money on spawn #1, spiderman 1 and Xmen 1. lol

Jerome

not really, but ok

-J.

Classic Jdog - now he's telling you who can and can't post in a thread. Hey J! Bite me. :roflmao:

Jerome

not really, but ok

-J.

Classic Jdog - now he's telling you who can and can't post in a thread. Hey J! Bite me. :roflmao:

This wasn't even addressed to you. You're much more interesting (and in your element) when you're peddling that over-graded dollar bin dreck of yours, troll. (thumbs u

-J.

No way would I spend $3500 on this book simply cause it's a cool cover, much rather have some early Marvel/DC silver age instead.

All a matter of preference.

...and budget.

and brains . . . :screwy:

I don't really question how people choose to spend their funds.

I assume if people are spending 3k and up on comic books, they must be successful have successful careers, have high paying jobs or just have the cash to pay for a luxury item. Comics are no different than other luxury goods. People buy a mercedes or BMW as their daily drivers. Sure you can just get a smart car , but some people don't want to drive smart cars. lol

+1.

Yet if someone were to drop $3K on an SA book no one would bat an eye hm

Jerome

Remember the Valiant books :preach:

Jerome

Just as with the Batman 608RRP thread it is quite entertaining re-visiting the similar naysaying that happened in the early parts of this thread. :roflmao:

-J.

*Hey, I just hit "Total Newbie". :banana:

It's fun to read that old batman RRP thread. Some posts were from 13 years ago. Lots of salty boardies back then when an RRP sold for the insane price of $325. Here we 13 years later and there are still variant collectors that still want that book

The market is much larger, with many more dollars in it, than it was in 2003.

We are on a bull run, and have been for quite some time.

Bull runs don't last forever.

The point isn't "you should spend your money on what I TELL you to spend your money on."

The point is: be careful. Yes, Silver Age did withdraw a bit in the late 90's, as everything else did. But nothing crashed as hard as the "rare" variants and other books that people spent hundreds of dollars on only a short time before.

And the keys...most of Golden and the big Silver...didn't withdraw at all. And...CGC skewed the market in ways that most people don't understand.

But consider this example: Aria was one of the hottest books in 1999. People were spending $50+ on the sketchbooks, $100 on the gold linen variant.

They're still rare. In fact, today, they're even rarer. There were still only 1,000 (or so) of the Aria gold linen sketchbooks made, and about 200 of them were damaged (according to Jimmy Jay.)

What are they worth now?

$10? $5?

Still rare. Still very hard to find.

But the public's interest moved on.

If you didn't live through the early and mid 90's as a collector, you're not going to have that perspective. No one is trying to be "down" on anyone and what they like. If you like it, and have the money, go nuts!

What people are saying is just to go into it with eyes wide open. That's all.

Understand that the book you're paying $3,000 for today, you may not be able to get $100 for in 5 years.

This is a great post. Not saying anything against what people collect or spend their own hard earned funds on, just wanting to enlighten people that there may not be that golden ticket return when it comes time to cash out.

And there are people in these threads that are willing to pay x for a book, regardless of it's value years from now. Positive or Negative.

You can't compare a limited ASM variant with a cult favorite cover, Marvel's flagship superhero by the way, to a Valiant book or some other fly by night title, sorry.

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies. Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

I think there's more of a chance of WD #1 dropping when the series and TV show are done for 5 or 10 years

You can't compare a limited ASM variant with a cult favorite cover, Marvel's flagship superhero by the way, to a Valiant book or some other fly by night title, sorry.

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies. Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

I think there's more of a chance of WD #1 dropping when the series and TV show are done for 5 or 10 years

:golfclap:

Well said buddy.

Jerome

Interesting thread that I never looked at before.

The 1990s present some lessons.

But I'm not sure "everything dropped" not just modern variants, etc. in the late 90s paints a full picture.

The variants, etc. dropped because there was virtually no interest in them anymore.

I think GA, SA and good BA books (other than some keys) dropped, a lot less, because you had a lot of this stuff hitting the market with shops closing and liquidating as dropping new comic sales put many under. Demand may have actually been the same, but now you had liquidation sales and former shop owners selling at shows unloading, discounting, etc. No longer could they price some book at guide and wait like they did when they had a shop and knew they could pay the rent by selling 1100 copies of Spawn 8 that month.

And then, at the close of the 90s you had ebay hitting the scene. Suddenly all those collectors and dealers, retired dealers, shops, etc. with hoards could easily sell their stuff to a huge audience (and postal rates were a lot lower then!). More product hitting the market. Even with demand the same or increased (and at that point my guess is that it increased overall as people were having fun bidding on stuff -- most stuff sold, just not necessarily for great prices), prices will be depressed.

And that oversupply situation still applies today for the more generic stuff.

So, somewhat different reasons for each drop.

In the late 90s/early 2000s I never had a problem selling generic low/mid-grade SA on ebay. It might only fetch $2-$4, but it sold ok. there was demand. and frankly, it did not sell for more in the 90s except at full priced retail.

So does anyone know where that last 9.4 sold for $1750 last month ?

A mycomicshop auction perhaps ? (shrug)

-J.

It wasn't in the mcs auction last month

Did sell through us, but not in auction:

Amazing Spider-Man (1998 2nd Series) 678B CGC 9.4 sold for $1699.99, $1751 with 3% buyer's premium

Awesome. Thanks for the link. (thumbs u

-J.