• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Collapse of the Original Comic Art Market

246 posts in this topic

Is it possible these varying approaches to collecting legacy material are reflected in the OA market for each company? DC art from those dozen or so top books fetch huge, record breaking sums. However, when compared to the average Marvel page from the silver/bronze age, it seems that the rest of DC's art lags (in some cases) way behind. The Marvel middle-class seems to be much stronger.

None of that helps, but the larger, fundamental issue is that SA/BA DC, on the whole, just isn't very good. There are exceptions like O'Neil/Adams GL/GA and Englehart/Rogers DETECTIVE, but for the most part...forgettable.

Average quality of Marvel titles from the same period is simply higher, with better writing and better art, and thus, better remembered. So, again, a shame that they've let so much wither on the vine. They managed to get their hands on their own '80s Moore title (MIRACLEMAN)...and have fumbled that, too. doh! No bueno.

None of that helps, but the larger, fundamental issue is that SA/BA DC, on the whole, just isn't very good. There are exceptions like O'Neil/Adams GL/GA and Englehart/Rogers DETECTIVE, but for the most part...forgettable.

Average quality of Marvel titles from the same period is simply higher, with better writing and better art, and thus, better remembered. So, again, a shame that they've let so much wither on the vine. They managed to get their hands on their own '80s Moore title (MIRACLEMAN)...and have fumbled that, too. doh! No bueno.

I kind of assumed that was the case with the DC material being sub-par, but I couldn't know for sure because I can't read it anywhere!

That particular issue aside, I know you've surmised that the demand for Starlin Warlock OA will go down in coming years, but I'm curious how you feel about it's current valuation relative to some of the other bronze-age stalwarts? Are there any other comparable Marvel titles you feel might be undervalued due to their lack of visibility? I'm not looking for any hot tips or anything. Just curious what you (or anyone else for that matter) thinks.

I kind of assumed that was the case with the DC material being sub-par, but I couldn't know for sure because I can't read it anywhere!

That particular issue aside, I know you've surmised that the demand for Starlin Warlock OA will go down in coming years, but I'm curious how you feel about it's current valuation relative to some of the other bronze-age stalwarts? Are there any other comparable Marvel titles you feel might be undervalued due to their lack of visibility? I'm not looking for any hot tips or anything. Just curious what you (or anyone else for that matter) thinks.

Not the best guy to ask, as I've never been a Big Two obsessive (Alan Moore and Frank Miller, OTOH...). But from where I sit...there's very little, if anything, SA/BA Marvel that's undervalued right now. Quite the opposite! I suppose some truly key pieces could still go higher. But most random SA/BA art that has been riding the coattails of the key art, I don't see keeping pace forever. IMO, their current valuation is largely the creation of dealers and speculators; I expect a lot of it to crash hard down the road.

The OA hobby is definitely still accessible to newbies, whether they be "recent-run" or "nostalgia" collectors. If their nostalgic sweet spot is from the '90s onwards, there's a ton of sub-$300 pages from popular runs available.

Top of my head, the only truly pricey superhero runs from the late-'80s on are McSpidey and Lee X-Men/Hush.

I agree in that the sub-$300 price range is around my personal sweet spot for buying new interior art pages unless by a hugely popular artist.

The recent more modern runs I've liked, which I don't know if they go up to a pricey level or not, which has been (when originally released as well as in today's marketplace, a lot falling within that $300 price range, sometimes a tad higher) somewhat affordable that seem to be tomorrow's sought after pieces are:

Kirkman/Adlard "The Walking Dead"

Millar/McNiven "Civil War"

Meltzer/Morales "Identity Crisis"

Whedon/Cassaday "Astonishing X-Men"

Bendis/Bagley "Ultimate Spider-Man"

From the indie side of publishing, I've liked Tim Seeley's "Hack/Slash"; Joelle Jones "Lady Killer"; Josh Howard's "Dead @ 17"; and a few other titles to read, and therefore enjoy the artwork too.

Is it possible these varying approaches to collecting legacy material are reflected in the OA market for each company? DC art from those dozen or so top books fetch huge, record breaking sums. However, when compared to the average Marvel page from the silver/bronze age, it seems that the rest of DC's art lags (in some cases) way behind. The Marvel middle-class seems to be much stronger.

doh!

I have a different take. To me all of the most interesting stuff in the 1970-1974 kind of time period was DC. Lots of junk DC in that time frame too, but the best stuff was DC. Marvel was a higher average quality (but its tops were lower than DC's). 1975-1978 or so is a very weak time for both houses (with some exceptions as always).

doh!

Heheh...sorry. SA was better than BA, at least.

doh!

Oh Felix... so disappointing and marvel zombie of you ;)

Almost all the interesting new art (and stories really) in the early bronze age period were at DC. Marvel was vanilla. Hmm this is sounding like the Romita thread! ;)

doh!

Almost all the interesting new art (and stories really) in the early bronze age period were at DC. Marvel was vanilla. Hmm this is sounding like the Romita thread! ;)

Haha! Not a Marvel zombie (as a kid, I was most influenced by whatever was on TV, so tended to favor DC). No doubt, some very strong material from DC from that time. But overall, Marvel resonated more with fans. Hence, all the nostalgia for that OA now, while DC art from the same period (with a few exceptions) lags.

doh!

Haha! Not a Marvel zombie (as a kid, I was most influenced by whatever was on TV, so tended to favor DC). No doubt, some very strong material from DC from that time. But overall, Marvel resonated more with fans. Hence, all the nostalgia for that OA now, while DC art from the same period (with a few exceptions) lags.

(thumbs u

Well if that guy's buying up all the Magic, it's over for the rest of us.

For people looking for the next big thing, I have some suggestions...

Micronauts - Doesn't matter who drew it, just buy all things Micronauts, so long as it's from the old series. It'll be big one day.

Preacher - Not the A list pages, but ANY pages. Any art board with ink on it related to Preacher. Done deal.

Batman - Any Batman work, so long as it's by Breyfogle. He's gonna be McFarlane yuge, you'll see.

Sad Sack strips - They used to be the laughing stock of the Comicart - L, but they're gaining on Hal Foster Prince Valiants.

Do yourself a favor and buy lots from the Donnelly brothers, and save yourself a bundle! Easy to work with too.

Also there's a guy down in Oz named Richard Rae. He's got some killer Kirby at excellent prices, so just because you are collecting on a budget, doesn't mean you can't have the King.

Other options for your buck...

Try coming up with a totally original commission theme that is universally envied. It might not flip for big bucks, but will be a totally safe and original place to park your money.

I'm thinking original commission ideas like Dark Knight Returns, or esoteric ones like A Few Days Later. Maybe something to do with The Iron Thrones featuring various Game of Thrones characters dressed up like Iron Man. Ooooh, or Trophy Rooms featuring comic characters and their copious bowling and golf trophies! Aunt May in the shower. Sure it's been done, but you can do it better. And speaking of...

Anything with big titties, or hardcore character on character sex. Preferably drawn by beginning artists. People may not know their names yet, but they will, given the tens of thousands of views their (and soon to be your) pieces will get daily on CAF.

Also be sure your commission list includes Joe Rubenstein, Bill Sienkiewicz, & Craig Hamilton but be sure they are paid up front. They are sure to be worth more when you eventually get them. Also get your Golden commission personalized!

And if all else fails, there's always Boris. I can't wait for the hardcover Bronty collection catalog to hit Profiles in History!

Selling all my art, and putting my money into pet rocks,

-e.

:eek::grin:I jest, and my apologies to all in advance.

And if all else fails, there's always Boris. I can't wait for the hardcover Bronty collection catalog to hit Profiles in History!

:eek::grin:I jest, and my apologies to all in advance.

HARDcover indeed. All the shirtless Fabio paintings are having their effect on you, i see.

BTW - yes I have a few, mostly because I like where they were published. I even have a romita because I like where it was published. :o:sick::insane:

Doesn't mean I think Boris is the best artist ever, or romita the worst. I see them at about the same level, to be honest with you.

For people looking for the next big thing, I have some suggestions...

Micronauts - Doesn't matter who drew it, just buy all things Micronauts, so long as it's from the old series. It'll be big one day.

hm.

odDcXGk.png

The OA hobby is definitely still accessible to newbies, whether they be "recent-run" or "nostalgia" collectors. If their nostalgic sweet spot is from the '90s onwards, there's a ton of sub-$300 pages from popular runs available.

Top of my head, the only truly pricey superhero runs from the late-'80s on are McSpidey and Lee X-Men/Hush.

I agree in that the sub-$300 price range is around my personal sweet spot for buying new interior art pages unless by a hugely popular artist.

The recent more modern runs I've liked, which I don't know if they go up to a pricey level or not, which has been (when originally released as well as in today's marketplace, a lot falling within that $300 price range, sometimes a tad higher) somewhat affordable that seem to be tomorrow's sought after pieces are:

Kirkman/Adlard "The Walking Dead"

Millar/McNiven "Civil War"

Meltzer/Morales "Identity Crisis"

Whedon/Cassaday "Astonishing X-Men"

Bendis/Bagley "Ultimate Spider-Man"

From the indie side of publishing, I've liked Tim Seeley's "Hack/Slash"; Joelle Jones "Lady Killer"; Josh Howard's "Dead @ 17"; and a few other titles to read, and therefore enjoy the artwork too.

Yup great list of modern runs for newbies to jump on or existing collectors looking to diversify. Kirkman's "Invincible" is another one with good upside I feel. Love Tradd Moore's "Luther Strode" and James Stokoe's "Godzilla" art too.

For early-'90s runs, all 4 Spider-Man titles (ASM, SSM, WSM, SM) are still affordable (although Bagley ASM prices have been pulling away fast), and the readership/childhood nostalgia for these runs by current 30-somethings has to be pretty high. A favourite of mine is Ron Lim's "Silver Surfer" run, which can still be had for $300+ a page :cloud9:

I used to be concerned that pages i remember buying and selling for 5-20 a page were 2000-5000 each now. But i tell myself a lot of markets go through 50000% price increases in 20+ years and than i feel good about the money I have spent on these drawings!

:blahblah:

I used to be concerned that pages i remember buying and selling for 5-20 a page were 2000-5000 each now. But i tell myself a lot of markets go through 50000% price increases in 20+ years and than i feel good about the money I have spent on these drawings!

:blahblah:

what pages? just curious.

In my mind the internet was a game changer for comic art.

No internet, no high prices. Too hard for to find the exact right buyer or seller without it. I bet it would be 50% of where it is now without the internet. If that.

I guess what I'm saying is I figure half that increase or more is a one-time adjustment as a result of greatly increased liquidity from being able to find people like us on places like this.

Pollard ASM 203 pages come to mind, bought them 5 a piece from him in detroit, just saw one sell (mine) for 2500 on CL. Thats one in particular. Another example is the Cover to What If 1. Saw it framed on a chair at a show in 1987 for 500 bucks. Just sold I think for 60k?