• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

I got an email today announcing the arrival in May of the new paperback edition of the Wally Wood book. This is fantastic news and it works in so many ways, first of all it will be more affordable and secondly I can get two copies one to keep and one to trim and display. Many thanks Scott and IDW for thinking of the fans. Now excuse me while I have a fit of giggles!

P.S Any word on the Ditko or Colan editions.

Sooo, the paperback versions are the exact same content as the hardcovers, only smaller? Or are the contents different as well?

My wish list for artifact editions that don't yet exist

The "Jonni Future" stories by Arthur Adams from Tom Strong's terrific tales plus any other work he did for the abc line.

A Sam Kieth Complete Marvel comics presents. All his covers and short stories.

A complete cover run series:

A book of covers collecting all the best covers from the Classic X-men reprint series. Specially focusing on all Arthur Adams and Mike mignola covers. this would be my dream book.

A Mike Zeck covers book collecting all or his best covers for marvel/DC during the 1980's and early 90's particularly G.I. Joe.

Same for Michael golden.

Marvel's G.I. Joe. Collecting up the covers.

A book collecting all or the best John Buscema Conan covers.

I didn't go, but found this online - a summary of the Artists Edition Announcements from the show...

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wondercon15-idw-artist-editions-are-art-unto-themselves/

Anyone go to WonderCon? Did they have any con variants there? any announcements?

Hmmm. DD 191 is going to be included? in its (implied) entirety?

Wonder if that means Terry Austin is participating.... or had he sold off his pages?

Anyone pick up the Romita Artifact Edition?

I like the art in it a lot. But I can't bring myself to purchase a copy, because there are to many pages missing. I hate those "scanned from the original stat" pages. I can live with one or two, but not more. The book has a lot of those. It's an Artifact edition, so if there's a page missing they shouldn't put a stat copy in it.... :facepalm:

I used to sell a lot of Artist Editions at the store, but sales are way down. They just put out to many of those to fast. My customers (and I) are tired of seeing one or two new ones in every issue of Previews.

I ordered between 1 and 5 copies of the Artist Editions that were featured in the last 3 issues of Previews.

I am still looking forward to the 2nd EC one though. I have high hopes for this one. But it's the only upcoming one I'm looking forward to.

Anyone pick up the Romita Artifact Edition?

I like the art in it a lot. But I can't bring myself to purchase a copy, because there are to many pages missing. I hate those "scanned from the original stat" pages. I can live with one or two, but not more. The book has a lot of those. It's an Artifact edition, so if there's a page missing they shouldn't put a stat copy in it.... :facepalm:

I used to sell a lot of Artist Editions at the store, but sales are way down. They just put out to many of those to fast. My customers (and I) are tired of seeing one or two new ones in every issue of Previews.

I ordered between 1 and 5 copies of the Artist Editions that were featured in the last 3 issues of Previews.

I am still looking forward to the 2nd EC one though. I have high hopes for this one. But it's the only upcoming one I'm looking forward to.

Totally agree! Too many Artist Editions at the same time and Artifact are too expensive with so many stat pages.

There are a lot of AE books to pick from these days. And Graphitti just recently entered the game, too.

I think their Frank Miller Ronin book hits tomorrow... same day as IDW's ECv2 book. It could be a very expensive Wednesday at the LCS for me.

I have made this request to Scott Dunbier before, but I'd like to make it again. I think a Herb Trimpe Artists Edition is a bit overdue, now more than ever. There are several complete and great-looking Trimpe Hulk stories displayed on CAF. A Trimpe Artists Edition would be a nice tribute to a great person and artist.

Lee - You're request to Scott has been answered. Looks like IDW announced it a few days ago and is ready for ordering:

"Herb Trimpe was one of the premier artists working for Marvel in the 1960s and 1970s. His extended run on The Hulk is a high point for many fans of Bruce Banner's rampaging alter ego, with masterful inks by both Trimpe and John Severin. This Artist's Edition features at least five complete stories by Trimpe and an incredible cover gallery to boot! Written by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, with artwork and a cover by Herb Trimpe.

IDW, hardback, 144 pages, published September 2015"

I have made this request to Scott Dunbier before, but I'd like to make it again. I think a Herb Trimpe Artists Edition is a bit overdue, now more than ever. There are several complete and great-looking Trimpe Hulk stories displayed on CAF. A Trimpe Artists Edition would be a nice tribute to a great person and artist.

Excellent news Chuck! Thanks for letting me know, and thanks Scott for putting this book out. I'm definitely buying it! Best, Lee

Lee - You're request to Scott has been answered. Looks like IDW announced it a few days ago and is ready for ordering:

"Herb Trimpe was one of the premier artists working for Marvel in the 1960s and 1970s. His extended run on The Hulk is a high point for many fans of Bruce Banner's rampaging alter ego, with masterful inks by both Trimpe and John Severin. This Artist's Edition features at least five complete stories by Trimpe and an incredible cover gallery to boot! Written by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, with artwork and a cover by Herb Trimpe.

IDW, hardback, 144 pages, published September 2015"

There are two pieces that need to be licensed for publication:

1) The printed material which is copyrighted

2) The trademarks associated with that material.

DC and Marvel typically hold the copyright for the material that they have published though this can change, see, for example, the copyright history for Action #1 which has led to (among other things) additional recognition for the Siegel family.

DC and Marvel hold - and to my knowledge there is no battle over this - the trademarks associated with the material that they publish, e.g., the Superman logo.

Does that help?