• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

According to this report, high-res scans of the OA for AF #15 can be downloaded at the LOC for free. Now there's likely an issue with publishing and retailing it, but it's obviously accessible.

Couple that with the full stories recently aquired by romitaman.... are we getting close?

According to this report, high-res scans of the OA for AF #15 can be downloaded at the LOC for free. Now there's likely an issue with publishing and retailing it, but it's obviously accessible.

Couple that with the full stories recently aquired by romitaman.... are we getting close?

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/acd2008000005/pp/ Scans

It seems the IDW books need about 7 complete stories or so.

With Mike's 2 stories and AF15, which is 1/2 a book, figure there needs to be about 4 more stories for IDW to do a Ditko Spider-Man?

:wishluck:

I doubt there is really a minimum number of pages for a Ditko AE, provided they get full stories.

With the other AEs where the artists is still around, IDW have done the AEs as much as possible with the cooperation of the artists and accomodating any concerns they may have.

Presumably, even if they have access to a full 200-page book of Ditko original art, they would first reach out to Ditko. Now, possibly his answer would be "do whatever you want, I have no legal right to intervene", Still, I don't think anyone wants a situation where it is felt that this is done against Ditko's wishes or in a disrespectful way.

Ideally, they'd want to produce a book of original art that Ditko would be okay with and where he might even participate in the production or provide any original art he still owns. Perhaps with a foreword or a reprint of his essays surrounding Spider-Man's creation (from his perspective).

I think that even if Ditko said something like "No. Wait until I'm gone, I don't want to get into all that " IDW wouldn't or shouldn't talk about it.

Maybe the only issue is that they have too many other projects that are too far along and need to be finished before they get to Ditko's Spider-Man? There is still an oversize Romita volume in the pipeline and I can't imagine they'd want to steal Romita's thunder by declaring "Oh, and if you wait another year or two there is a monster-sized Ditko Spider-man as well."

Not when they can release the twice-up Romita volume, wait a month and then go "Oh, and we've got a Ditko Twice-up volume ready to go to the printers, get your orders in now."

A lot of the projects they're launching need to build some momentum and anticipation before they open it up to pre-orders, just to make sure the word-of-mouth is out.

A Ditko Spider-Man volume? It would be all over the internet in days and orders would be solid enough to go to print at once.

In my opinion.

It seems the IDW books need about 7 complete stories or so.

With Mike's 2 stories and AF15, which is 1/2 a book, figure there needs to be about 4 more stories for IDW to do a Ditko Spider-Man?

:wishluck:

They could use the whole of Amazing Fantasy #15 (assuming the LOC have the rest of the pages which I think they do). It doesn't have to be limited to Spider-Man, although that would be fantastic.

Are there any other complete Marvel Ditko stories out there? I've heard his Doctor Strange stuff is pretty rare, even as single pages.

Even if they did a small Volume 1 with just AF #15 and the two Spidey's that Mr Burkey has, it'd likely sell out. But, yeah, it would be great to get Ditko's blessing on it. You have to respect his steadfastness, though. Even Bill Watterson is doing interviews and giving the thumbs up for books these days. http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Calvin-Hobbes-Exhibition-Catalogue/dp/1449460364

They could use the whole of Amazing Fantasy #15 (assuming the LOC have the rest of the pages which I think they do). It doesn't have to be limited to Spider-Man, although that would be fantastic.

They do ! The LOC has all the pages to AF #15 except the cover.

They do ! The LOC has all the pages to AF #15 except the cover.

:sorry:

Did anyone else here pre-order the Buscema Silver Surfer AE? I got an e-mail from IDW on Dec. 3 saying that my pre-order (for this book) was now available and being shipped by USPS Priority Mail (no tracking number was provided, though). It's now been 7 business days since then and the book hasn't shown up yet - anybody else get their book yet? I have an e-mail in to IDW (waiting for a response); the warehouse customer service number at the bottom of the e-mail is disconnected and useless. :doh:

I remember enjoying the run as it was published. I don't recall these issues specifically, but it was basically one or two issue stories with different villains each time. In fact a simple story page from 531 (I think it is) has been on my OA goal list ever since reading it, and that is quite a compliment to their work I think.

I picked up the Kelley Jones Batman book and it is a thing of beauty. I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of it and the nice touches, like the overlays with the titles and logos for the covers. Easily on par with the IDW books, and if you dig Kelley's styled artwork, then I can't recommend it enough.

I bought the John Buscema Silver Surfer AE - my first IDW Artist Edition - and I'm impressed! Nice quality and great reproduction; I'm hooked! I think my 2015 OA goal might be to buy more AE's :grin:

I am sure most of you have already seen this and ordered one if you are interested. The John Romita vol. 2 remarqued version is now listed for sale on the site. With only 72 of them available it looks like they should sell out fast.

John B.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/john-romitas-the-amazing-spider-man-artists-edition-volume-2-limited-edition-signed-numbered-remarqued-variant/

I am sure most of you have already seen this and ordered one if you are interested. The John Romita vol. 2 remarqued version is now listed for sale on the site. With only 72 of them available it looks like they should sell out fast.

John B.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/john-romitas-the-amazing-spider-man-artists-edition-volume-2-limited-edition-signed-numbered-remarqued-variant/

Thanks for the heads up I just ordered a copy. (thumbs u This and the artifact edition that comes out in early next month should be some nice editions.

John B.

Thanks for the heads up I just ordered a copy. (thumbs u This and the artifact edition that comes out in early next month should be some nice editions.

thanks for info, just bought one copy (thumbs u

Picked up Joe Kubert Enemy Ace Artist Edition, another great book from

IDW. Since Joe never sold any artwork from his Enemy Ace stories this is

as close as I will get to owning the artwork. Great aerial battle scenes,

love his inks. I highly recommend getting it.