• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

Within recent weeks I bought the Romita Snr artifacts edition. Although some of the pages are not reproduced from the originals, the wealth of early stuff more than compensates, so is something I'm delighted to have and have no hesitation recommending.

Also, this week, I received the Kamandi book. Although I never got into the 4th world stuff, I did enjoy Kirby's Demon and Kamandi books (the latter an unashamed take on the Planet of the Apes movies). At the time this stuff was being published I'd became disenchanted with Marvel which, for me, had lost it's heart and soul with the departures of Kirby and Ditko at the end of the 1960s.

GregNyman over at the Marvel Masterwork forum posted about the panel..

"No new Artist Editions were officially announced, but Scott said they'll be doing a second Kamandi volume, and it was heavily hinted that we'll eventually get a Ditko volume.

The Maxx AE is back on schedule for the end of the year and all books will include a signed plate. The Graham Ingells volume is set to come out early next year.

20 copies of the first Joe Kubert Tarzan AE were printed with blank covers that Joe was going to drawings for. Unfortunately he passed away before he could do them, so now IDW has gotten a variety of artists (Neal Adams, Mark Schultz, Dave Gibbons, Amanda Connor, Adam and Andy Kubert, and more) to draw the covers and they will be auctioned off later this year with all proceeds going to Joe Kubert School scholarships. Many of the pieces looked quite nice."

http://www.idwpublishing.com/idw-edgar-rice-burroughs-and-heritage-auctions-team-up-to-support-the-kubert-school/

Are there no SDCC Artist Edition variants this year? (shrug)

This might be my last year of buying convention exclusive AEs - suffering from painful tendonitis in my right shoulder after lugging a couple of them around the other day in my non-ergonomic SDCC giveaway backpack along with everything else I got. :tonofbricks:

I noticed that, among my cohort of collector friends, everyone else had already wised up and just decided that having the regular versions shipped to them was the way to go. :facepalm:

Are there no SDCC Artist Edition variants this year? (shrug)

This might be my last year of buying convention exclusive AEs - suffering from painful tendonitis in my right shoulder after lugging a couple of them around the other day in my non-ergonomic SDCC giveaway backpack along with everything else I got. :tonofbricks:

I noticed that, among my cohort of collector friends, that everyone else had already wised up and just decided that having the regular versions shipped to them was the way to go. :facepalm:

I know what you mean, a few year ago I lugged the Wally Wood one all around the floor for a full day, then took it with me to Vegas for a week, then to Boston, then to Dublin and finally home and that one was the largest they've made so far. And to think I have a local friend who was upset when I didn't want to bring him one lol

Walt Simonson is going to be at a relatively small con at the end of the month here in NJ and I can't wait to get all my heavy stuff signed. Two AEs and The Mighty Thor HC Omnibus, I should be able to park relatively close and go in with one at a time!

Walt Simonson is going to be at a relatively small con at the end of the month here in NJ and I can't wait to get all my heavy stuff signed. Two AEs and The Mighty Thor HC Omnibus, I should be able to park relatively close and go in with one at a time!

One at a time is the way to go unless you have a good chiropractor. :eek:

When I attended SDCC, I usually drive, so I can haul my loot back easily. I know Gene lives on the East Coast. There is a UPS office inside the Marriott next door, unlike the crazy crowded Convention Center.

Several years back, I remember the line to get the super hero stamps. I walked to the Post Office by Horton Plaza, where there was no line.

I missed out on the Wally Wood first edition AE and had to purchase aftermarket. I should have preordered.

Is there any news from IDW on any upcoming editions, this is a great series and I would hate to think that it is now finished. I'm still waiting on a Colan Dracula and Ditko Spidey, as good ole Clint would say "Make my day". Any news would be helpful, thanks.

well, as I approach my 50th year it appears someone is finally paying attention...I got the Xenozoic Tales signed AE today from the wife for Christmas!

I didn't know this even existed..... what exactly does it contain ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus) (thumbs u

well, as I approach my 50th year it appears someone is finally paying attention...I got the Xenozoic Tales signed AE today from the wife for Christmas!

I didn't know this even existed..... what exactly does it contain ? GOD BLESS...

Xenozoic Tales #9-14. Coincidentally, I was just flipping through my copy the other day.

Xenozoic Tales #9-14. Coincidentally, I was just flipping through my copy the other day.

Yes, and it also has a few pages showing the pencils to inks to color stages of production. My kids were fascinated by that part even though I was trying to show them the lush brushwork!

Yes, and it also has a few pages showing the pencils to inks to color stages of production. My kids were fascinated by that part even though I was trying to show them the lush brushwork!

....I've been trying to avoid these things so as to not pick up yet another bad habit...... but I may cave on this one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....I've been trying to avoid these things so as to not pick up yet another bad habit...... but I may cave on this one. GOD BLESS...

I made my kids shut up for a minute...hey, listen because Dad is serious about this...they are 12 and 16 year old girls. I told them I have 8-10 of these but have only read 3. However, my intention is that when I am old and demented that they should put these in my lap and read them to me if possible. Great stories in the format I love - 11x17 original art "style". Just plop them down on my lap and turn the pages please.

I made my kids shut up for a minute...hey, listen because Dad is serious about this...they are 12 and 16 year old girls. I told them I have 8-10 of these but have only read 3. However, my intention is that when I am old and demented that they should put these in my lap and read them to me if possible. Great stories in the format I love - 11x17 original art "style". Just plop them down on my lap and turn the pages please.

There's Mark Schultz, and then there's everyone else...... he really is that good. My only complaint with him is that he hasn't adapted a Conan story yet..... but I suppose the Wandering Star material ain't bad.... GOD BLESS...

I got the same book (although not the signed one). It's absolutely amazing. It's my fourth book (I also have Marvel Covers, Romita's Spider-Man volume 2, and Buscema's Silver Surfer), and I've seen plenty of others that belong to friends of mine. It easily my favorite from the line.

It took many, many years, but I finally realized that if I give Kathy a list, I'm much more likely to get something I like.