• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics General's Movie Subforum

619 posts in this topic

2 Guns with Denzel and Wahlberg.

Unbelievable how good a movie can be when someone does it right. Why can't they make all superhero movies this good?

I had no idea this came from a graphic novel until I watched the credits (I always stay for the credits out of respect for the creators of the film).

It was funny all the way through, well acted, well directed. I thought it was nearly flawless with only 2 things that I personally thought was far fetched.

1) the same lady with the same outfit walks out of the same bank on 2 different days - total blunder on that one.

2) Denzel and Wahlberg staking out a house in broad daylight right across the street and the guy doesn't see them. :facepalm:

Other than that, it was a real treat.

I think they may have a franchise on their hands ala Lethal Weapon.

Grantland said W and W phoned it in and RT didn't rave about it, so it took Roy's review to get me in the seat.

And boy, what a fun movie. It's true that the plot is a bit silly, but the entire cast is awesome and the movie was great fun. I will watch it again and hope they make four more. Fantastic chemisty and screen presence.

What would they call the sequel? 2 Guns 2?

2 Guns and a Baby.

2 Guns with Denzel and Wahlberg.

Unbelievable how good a movie can be when someone does it right. Why can't they make all superhero movies this good?

I had no idea this came from a graphic novel until I watched the credits (I always stay for the credits out of respect for the creators of the film).

It was funny all the way through, well acted, well directed. I thought it was nearly flawless with only 2 things that I personally thought was far fetched.

1) the same lady with the same outfit walks out of the same bank on 2 different days - total blunder on that one.

2) Denzel and Wahlberg staking out a house in broad daylight right across the street and the guy doesn't see them. :facepalm:

Other than that, it was a real treat.

I think they may have a franchise on their hands ala Lethal Weapon.

Grantland said W and W phoned it in and RT didn't rave about it, so it took Roy's review to get me in the seat.

And boy, what a fun movie. It's true that the plot is a bit silly, but the entire cast is awesome and the movie was great fun. I will watch it again and hope they make four more. Fantastic chemisty and screen presence.

What would they call the sequel? 2 Guns 2?

2 Guns and a Baby.

lol

I'm glad someone else feels the same way about the movie that I did. I still think it was terrific and I can see sequels coming. I still laugh at some of the scenes!

Elysium on the other hand? :sick:

I went in thinking this might be the best movie of the summer. Instead, it blew chunks for me. This is the type of storyline you can make a television season out of, so cramming it into a movie made it feel like a B flick for me.

I'm a bit of a techie guy, growing up in mechanics, so a lot of the sci fi stuff didn't work for me. For example,

a) there is just no way that simple of an exoskeleton would be able to function on a human - not enough joints to give you any reasonable range of motion.

b) Damon only had a few days to go but he never really deteriorated.

c) the drill this skeleton into his body all over but no sores or much bleeding? Really?

d) some of the moments in the movie were contrived with too much "convenient tension" - Matt Damon getting a headache at key spots? Right.

e) how conveniently poor the defense systems were on most of the ships in the movie as well as on Elysium

Over all a decent B flick but that's about it. Could have been a block buster or a sequel but it wasn't, IMO. A let down after how terrific District 9 left me feeling.

Roy,

I saw Elysium last night and really enjoyed it. Do I think it was the best sci-fi movie? No. Do I think it was better than District 9? No. But was I entertained? Yes.

I see your points. They are true, and I agree. I think they could have done a better job developing Matt Damon's character instead of plot points just happening to him. I think this is one of those movies that falls between seeing in a theater and waiting to rent it. I still think it falls more on the side of theater just because of the SFX and story (although a little weak). I thought Jodi Foster did a fantastic job!

Roy,

I saw Elysium last night and really enjoyed it. Do I think it was the best sci-fi movie? No. Do I think it was better than District 9? No. But was I entertained? Yes.

I see your points. They are true, and I agree. I think they could have done a better job developing Matt Damon's character instead of plot points just happening to him. I think this is one of those movies that falls between seeing in a theater and waiting to rent it. I still think it falls more on the side of theater just because of the SFX and story (although a little weak). I thought Jodi Foster did a fantastic job!

I probably went in with high expectations, expecting a big blockbuster and that is why I was so disappointed. I was a little disappointed with Jodie Foster and odd fake accent too, although she's always a pleasure to watch.

I suppose like others had mirrored in another thread. this was just another 'home invasion flick' and not very original in that regard.

I think I would have much more enjoyed the film if I had know how Elysium came to be and how they justified it's existence, etc, etc.

Roy,

I probably went in with high expectations, expecting a big blockbuster and that is why I was so disappointed. I was a little disappointed with Jodie Foster and odd fake accent too, although she's always a pleasure to watch.

I suppose like others had mirrored in another thread. this was just another 'home invasion flick' and not very original in that regard.

I think I would have much more enjoyed the film if I had know how Elysium came to be and how they justified it's existence, etc, etc.

People are bored with them 'home invasion flick' type movies.

I wish people didn`t lump them in with super hero movies, in fact the super hero movies all did quite well at the box office. It was the 'home invasion flick' types movies that bombed week after week. 2c

If I was the director I would have hired a techie guy for advice and done better techie research in making the movie.

Looks like he was winging it on this one.

I had never seen the movie Ted until just now.

I suffered through the first 30 minutes of it without so much as a chuckle and turned it off because it sucked big fat monkey balls.

This concludes my review of the movie Ted.

what a great time to be a fan of comic books made into movies. too bad 90% of them suck.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kick_ass_2_2013/

I think this might lead to the end of the non-Marvel/DC super hero movies.

Has anyone else noticed that it`s the Marvel and DC super hero movies that do real well at the box office, while the rest usually bomb at the box office?

It`s kind of like when we read comics in our younger years. We would go buy the Marvels, Batman,and Superman comics,while the rest we either didn`t like or ignored completely.

I see the same pattern developing now with the big screen movie version of superheroes.

Marvel and Batman/Superman rules! :cloud9:

I had a non-comic-book friend that saw Kick 2 and said it was pretty good. He is younger and an anime as well as a video-game fan, but not into comics. He liked it.

:shrug:

-slym

Actually a few years ago I praised Kick Arse the comic book,and said it was on the Walking Dead level for a read, just about every response I got back from this board was they had never read Kick Arse.

If it isn't a Marvel or DC the odds are it will fail at the box office no matter how good it is.

One group of non-Marvel/DC books I think that could break that kind of result are the Valiant comic book characters. I think the Valiant comic book characters are a gold mine waiting to be uncovered.

(thumbs u

I had a non-comic-book friend that saw Kick 2 and said it was pretty good. He is younger and an anime as well as a video-game fan, but not into comics. He liked it.

:shrug:

-slym

Actually a few years ago I praised Kick Arse the comic book,and said it was on the Walking Dead level for a read, just about every response I got back from this board was they had never read Kick Arse.

If it isn't a Marvel or DC the odds are it will fail at the box office no matter how good it is.

One group of non-Marvel/DC books I think that could break that kind of result are the Valiant comic book characters. I think the Valiant comic book characters are a gold mine waiting to be uncovered.

(thumbs u

hm