• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics General's Movie Subforum

619 posts in this topic

Roy,

I saw Elysium last night and really enjoyed it. Do I think it was the best sci-fi movie? No. Do I think it was better than District 9? No. But was I entertained? Yes.

I see your points. They are true, and I agree. I think they could have done a better job developing Matt Damon's character instead of plot points just happening to him. I think this is one of those movies that falls between seeing in a theater and waiting to rent it. I still think it falls more on the side of theater just because of the SFX and story (although a little weak). I thought Jodi Foster did a fantastic job!

I probably went in with high expectations, expecting a big blockbuster and that is why I was so disappointed. I was a little disappointed with Jodie Foster and odd fake accent too, although she's always a pleasure to watch.

I suppose like others had mirrored in another thread. this was just another 'home invasion flick' and not very original in that regard.

I think I would have much more enjoyed the film if I had know how Elysium came to be and how they justified it's existence, etc, etc.

Exactly. The entire premise was flawed at it's core.

Although I enjoyed the movie a bit, it was too blatant of an exaggerated look at todays immigration problem with Mexico.

As for Jodie Foster's accent... she almost always acts with an accent, so it wasn't a put-off for me. She's always good.

I think the main problems I had with both Elysium and Hunger Games (yes, I didn't like Hunger Games) was that neither made me believe what was going on was real.

I watched LOTR and believed it. Superman? Believed it. Two Guns? Believed it.

For whatever reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I had a hard time buying into E and HG.

I think the main problems I had with both Elysium and Hunger Games (yes, I didn't like Hunger Games) was that neither made me believe what was going on was real.

For whatever reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I had a hard time buying into E and HG.

It's because you're a capitalist pig that loves to watch the less fortunate suffer!

:baiting:

It's because you're a capitalist pig that loves to watch the less fortunate suffer!

:cry:

:cry:

Funny thing is that the makers of Elysium are denying any 99% vs 1%.

Just watched Elysium last night. Wow, what an awful movie. This movie was Battlefield Earth kind of awful. I didn't care about a single character in the movie. It was boring, mindless, and totally void of any comedic relief. What was Damon thinking making this ? At some point in the filming process he had to realize what a turkey this film was turning out to be. I wonder if he thought about getting out of his contract.

Just watched Elysium last night. Wow, what an awful movie. This movie was Battlefield Earth kind of awful. I didn't care about a single character in the movie. It was boring, mindless, and totally void of any comedic relief. What was Damon thinking making this ? At some point in the filming process he had to realize what a turkey this film was turning out to be. I wonder if he thought about getting out of his contract.

Was it as boring as Oblivion?

It`s amazing how many of these big blockbusters movies have bombed this summer.

Why did it need to have 'comedic relief'?

Even though in my opinion the movie was meant to have a 99% vs 1% argument, I think it proved the opposite. How about instead of the 99% on Earth trying to figure out a way to steal and cheat their way into Elysium they actually work hard and recreate a good society on Earth? Oh wait...that would be too much effort. Better to enjoy the hard work of others :)

Anyone here see The World's End? I did. Not as good as the other 2 (in my opinion). But still funny. Just thought his character was darker and a little harder to relate to. I did see it as part of the Cornetto trilogy. I forgot how funny Hot Fuzz was.

Anyone here see The World's End? I did. Not as good as the other 2 (in my opinion). But still funny. Just thought his character was darker and a little harder to relate to. I did see it as part of the Cornetto trilogy. I forgot how funny Hot Fuzz was.

I didn't see Fuzz or Dead so I didn't know what to expect. I thought it was a terrific movie until all the silly stuff started and then I regretted sitting through the second half.

You should watch the other 2 then.

I don't like Zombies and I don't really like those types of movies. I thought Pegg did a terrific job but I don't really find scary/zany movies very appealing.