• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

Jon Berk's original art to Planet Comics #1...linked earlier, but it needs to be posted in here;

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

wha happen? does that site not allow hotlinking of images?

sorry.gif

take this, comicartfans.com!

planet1a3df.jpg

lmk if you want me to pull this down, Jon. It's just so gosh-darned pretty though

Jon Berk's original art to Planet Comics #1...linked earlier, but it needs to be posted in here;

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

wha happen? does that site not allow hotlinking of images?

sorry.gif

take this, comicartfans.com!

planet1a3df.jpg

lmk if you want me to pull this down, Jon. It's just so gosh-darned pretty though

not a problem.....i kinda like it myself.....

I'm curious to know what the posters on this board believe to be the 5 rarest Golden Age books by each publisher. For example, based on my experience, the Gerber Guide and the CGC census, I have concluded that the 5 rarest DC's are:

1. Double Action # 2

2. New Adventure # 13

3. New Adventure # 26

4. New Adventure # 27

5. New Fun Comics # 2

By the way, post them if you've got them.

RHG

It has been four years since I started this thread with the above post. I am dusting the thread off to see if information acquired over the last four years has affected any of the original opinions regarding what books are rarest for each publisher (ashcans or other books that were not actually sold don't qualify for this particular thread).

Interestingly, my opinions regarding the rarest DCs remain largely unchanged. At most, I might switch my choice for #5 with one of the following books, which didn't make my initial top 5:

New Comics 2 and 3

New Adventure Comics 22

New Fun Comics 6

Detective Comics 3

Big Book of Comics

What do the rest of you think? What are the 5 rarest Timelys, Nedors, Foxes, Qualitys, DCs, etc.?

And, of course, feel free to post them if you have them.

I love this thread. I know there are different schools of thought on this topic but if the Marvel Mystery and Cap annuals are noted as Gerber 10's I see no reason why this book isn't in the same category. Its actually rarer than the annuals, still one of only two known copies and it makes the Gerber 7 US print look like Gerber 2 in comparison:

Cacwt74raw.jpg[/img]

I believe that there was one, but a copy no longer exists. I know that Ian had a mock copy made up for his collection. I am not sure if the image used on his mock copy is verified to have been the actual cover of Double Action 1. Can anyone verify this?

The theory that a Double Action #1 exists is based on a reference to it in the Overstreet Guide. No one, however, -- including Overstreet or anyone from Gemstone -- is willing to go on record with a photo, scan, or even a firsthand account of a sighting to corroberate its actual existence. Therefore, its existence is, at best, dubious as far as I am concerned. This issue has been the subject of numerous threads on the boards over the years.

I'm curious to know what the posters on this board believe to be the 5 rarest Golden Age books by each publisher. For example, based on my experience, the Gerber Guide and the CGC census, I have concluded that the 5 rarest DC's are:

1. Double Action # 2

2. New Adventure # 13

3. New Adventure # 26

4. New Adventure # 27

5. New Fun Comics # 2

By the way, post them if you've got them.

RHG

It has been four years since I started this thread with the above post. I am dusting the thread off to see if information acquired over the last four years has affected any of the original opinions regarding what books are rarest for each publisher (ashcans or other books that were not actually sold don't qualify for this particular thread).

Interestingly, my opinions regarding the rarest DCs remain largely unchanged. At most, I might switch my choice for #5 with one of the following books, which didn't make my initial top 5:

New Comics 2 and 3

New Adventure Comics 22

New Fun Comics 6

Detective Comics 3

Big Book of Comics

What do the rest of you think? What are the 5 rarest Timelys, Nedors, Foxes, Qualitys, DCs, etc.?

And, of course, feel free to post them if you have them.

No one has any lists to offer? I figured that 143k would chime in on MLJs, Nearmint on Nedors, and Bedrock and Parker on Timelys. And what about Fiction House? No updated opinions? :(

I will chime in on the 5 rarest Centaurs (IMO, likely 5 or so known copies)

Keen Detective Funny v1/10

Amazing Man #25

Amazing man #26

Funny Pages v1/6

Amazing Mystery Funnies v2/4 (really, any of the first 6 v 2 issues, or even 1/4)

My collecting focus is obviously the same as yours RHG. Where would you rank More Fun 9? From what I have noticed it appears on the market less often than New Fun 2. Is it more rare or is demand just higher?

As for Fiction house I think its fair to say that Jumbo 3-7 are the 5 rarest in no particular order.

I will chime in on the 5 rarest Centaurs (IMO, likely 5 or so known copies)

Keen Detective Funny v1/10

Amazing Man #25

Amazing man #26

Funny Pages v1/6

Amazing Mystery Funnies v2/4 (really, any of the first 6 v 2 issues, or even 1/4)

No way on the FP 1.6. I personally have owned 3 different copies. #s 40 and 41 are much scarcer.