• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

Lucas did something we all would due with money instead of giving that same money away in taxes.

Well what one person would due isn't what everyone would dew. I know what I would do.

I no what ewe would dew to!

I see your joke tough guy. (thumbs u

nobody is saying that most people would donate money when presented with the same situation that Lucas is.

But to make the sensationalistic comment that says everybody would do it, and then add that they would only do it for tax purposes is, well batshart crazy.

For tax purposes I think most tax accountants would tell him that would be a good idea.

If any of us had billions of dollars and did not give some of those billions away to a worry needed cause that would make them a complete scumbag in my book.

There comes a point where someone can't even begin to spend the vast amount of money they have earned so do something good with it that helps your fellow man.

Alex I am sure you would do the same thing.

Lucas is doing exactly what a normal human being should be doing with the extra money he can never spend in his lifetime anyway. Good for him again, but not a shocking event considering how much money he already has and has now since obtained.

Lucas has made so much money with the Star Wars brand all these years I can see why he would give all of the $4 billion to charity.

I would have a hard time spending $4 billion on my own lol

So,I give Lucas some kudos for giving the money to charity 2c

The question is actually why wouldn't he. (shrug)

Lucas has made so much money with the Star Wars brand all these years I can see why he would give all of the $4 billion to charity.

I would have a hard time spending $4 billion on my own lol

So,I give Lucas some kudos for giving the money to charity 2c

The question is actually why wouldn't he. (shrug)

hm

Lucas did something we all would due with money instead of giving that same money away in taxes.

Well what one person would due isn't what everyone would dew. I know what I would do.

nobody is saying that most people would donate money when presented with the same situation that Lucas is.

But to make the sensationalistic comment that says everybody would do it, and then add that they would only do it for tax purposes is, well batshart crazy.

For tax purposes I think most tax accountants would tell him that would be a good idea.

If any of us had billions of dollars and did not give some of those billions away to a worry needed cause that would make them a complete scumbag in my book.

There comes a point where someone can't even begin to spend the vast amount of money they have earned so do something good with it that helps your fellow man.

Lucas is doing exactly what a normal human being should be doing with the extra money he can never spend in his lifetime anyway. Good for him again, but not a shocking event considering how much money he already has and has now since obtained.

Its a great argument in theory, what using the accountant angle, but in actuality there is a limit on deductions for charitable giving. Im assuming that 4 billion in one year will go past that threshold the IRS allows for deductions.

So if someone DOESNT give away huge amounts of money they become a scum-bag? C'mon Jonny, think about what you are saying. Read it outloud to yourself.

Im not disagreeing with you on the donation, just that it should not be assumed someone would and that it is being done just for tax purposes.

Its a great argument in theory, what using the accountant angle, but in actuality there is a limit on deductions for charitable giving. Im assuming that 4 billion in one year will go past that threshold the IRS allows for deductions.

So if someone DOESNT give away huge amounts of money they become a scum-bag? C'mon Jonny, think about what you are saying. Read it outloud to yourself.

Im not disagreeing with you on the donation, just that it should not be assumed someone would and that it is being done just for tax purposes.

I said for either or.

It is a good tax right off and decent thing to do for a normal human being.

If you were already really rich. and most likely you were going to fund your charitable foundation with this new money anyway, it would make sense to have the funds go into that charitable foundation immediately and not give the money to the government in the form of taxes.

However, if you didn't have such a charitable foundation, there's no tax accountant in the world that was tell you that it was better to give all your money away when the tax man would only take half or less.

This works for Lucas and his situation. And, really, I think his charity will do more good with the money than our government would.

He is not giving "some"

He is giving "all"

And on top of this it was his baby, his entire creation from the last 35 years. It seems that Lucas does not want his legacy to be Star Wars, he wants his legacy to be that of a philanthropist.

So, I'm guessing one of the stories is wrong. Witch one is which?

He is not giving "some"

He is giving "all"

And on top of this it was his baby, his entire creation from the last 35 years. It seems that Lucas does not want his legacy to be Star Wars, he wants his legacy to be that of a. philanthropist.

So, I'm guessing one of the stories is wrong. Witch one is which?

My understanding is the report said "most." So that could be anywhere between 51% and 99%.

It's also a cash and stock deal, so the value is undefined until the moment of transfer.

Whatever the amount, I admire his philanthropy.

Lucas can do whatever he wants with the money in my opinion. He has entertained me for 35 years now so he has earned it.

I am really excited that my children will now have new Star Wars movies to call their own. Wonder if he cut the same toy deal with Disney he did years ago? I doubt it, but I am sure he got a cut there too.

I will never see another Stars Wars movie again. I am 45 years old so I saw the original movie from 1977 many times at the theatre. There was never anything like it on the big screen. Then when Empire Strikes Back came out we were in awe of the special effects. I can still remember seeing the Imperial Walkers and sitting there with my eyes glued to the big screen. The story took a big turn and had a bunch of unforeseen surprises. Then Return of the Jedi came out and it was a bit of a let down. There were cool effects and you got the good guy always wins ending but it just didn't seem to wow you like the others. Maybe the ewoks killed it. Launch to Episode 1. WTF is this ? Jar Jar? Really? 1st half the movie put me to sleep. Take away the Darth Maul fight at the end and you have a movie with nothing to offer a fan of so many years. I never bothered to see Episode 2 and waited for Episode 3 to come out on CD.

I don't care what the story is about. Any movie you add to the originals will fail because what we all loved about Star Wars in the beginning vanished a long long time ago.