• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Hi Tim,

Not directed at your post. My point has to do with the prevailing notion that books like BB 28 rely on other medium generated interest to draw speculators into our collecting sphere where we (collectors) see price appreciations based on reader and historical knowledge and interest in the art form we love so much. Obviously, we see instances where speculation based on weather patterns in a particular region or photos of some actress wearing Wonder Woman's outfit influences a price increase for a specific book. The "movie-hype reliance" for a SA key's increase in value is tiring and at the same time, fascinating. What other medium do you see such a reliance and "hype-based discussion" on current and future film to drive a collector's market in a different art form?

What are we going to do around here when Oprah starts her comic book readers club and she picks Dazzler 1?

Can anyone really believe that a major SA DC key like BB 28 will not continue to increase? We are talking about one of the great SA keys. It has been and will continue to follow the other great books like SC 4 and 22. While the great Marvel SA books lead the way to record level sales, DC's SA keys like BB 28 always follow suit. And it has been and always will be based on the interest and knowledge that SA collectors (emphasis on the word "collectors") have about the role these keys played during the beginnings of the second greatest age of comics and the history of the American Comic Book. The shortsighted speculation bumps that other mediums provide whether film or a new line of underwear and bed sheets, come and go. The knowledge of the significance of these great SA keys is already recorded for posterity to enjoy and cherish. Future collectors will look back at the great SA and its Marvel and DC treasures. From there these collectors will pick up where we (collectors today) left off. They won't be looking for these books 5-10-20 years from now because Ben Affleck played Batman or Iron Man 3 made a billion dollars. The books and the great age they represent have been and will continue to draw interest. BB 28 is one of these books.

And the speculators will search for the "uranium fields in Asbury Park..."

My response was in regards to a bump. Place me squarely in the camp of BB28 being too long undervalued and an always important, increasingly valuable key. It's my favorite book of my favorite hero team. The only ways I'd ever sell is if I absolutely had to for financial reasons (highly unlikely) or if I upgraded (also highly unlikely).

Can anyone really believe that a major SA DC key like BB 28 will not continue to increase? We are talking about one of the great SA keys. It has been and will continue to follow the other great books like SC 4 and 22. While the great Marvel SA books lead the way to record level sales, DC's SA keys like BB 28 always follow suit. And it has been and always will be based on the interest and knowledge that SA collectors (emphasis on the word "collectors") have about the role these keys played during the beginnings of the second greatest age of comics and the history of the American Comic Book. The shortsighted speculation bumps that other mediums provide whether film or a new line of underwear and bed sheets, come and go. The knowledge of the significance of these great SA keys is already recorded for posterity to enjoy and cherish. Future collectors will look back at the great SA and its Marvel and DC treasures. From there these collectors will pick up where we (collectors today) left off. They won't be looking for these books 5-10-20 years from now because Ben Affleck played Batman or Iron Man 3 made a billion dollars. The books and the great age they represent have been and will continue to draw interest. BB 28 is one of these books.

And the speculators will search for the "uranium fields in Asbury Park..."

My response was in regards to a bump. Place me squarely in the camp of BB28 being too long undervalued and an always important, increasingly valuable key. It's my favorite book of my favorite hero team. The only ways I'd ever sell is if I absolutely had to for financial reasons (highly unlikely) or if I upgraded (also highly unlikely).

(thumbs u

Hi Tim,

Not directed at your post. My point has to do with the prevailing notion that books like BB 28 rely on other medium generated interest to draw speculators into our collecting sphere where we (collectors) see price appreciations based on reader and historical knowledge and interest in the art form we love so much. Obviously, we see instances where speculation based on weather patterns in a particular region or photos of some actress wearing Wonder Woman's outfit influences a price increase for a specific book. The "movie-hype reliance" for a SA key's increase in value is tiring and at the same time, fascinating. What other medium do you see such a reliance and "hype-based discussion" on current and future film to drive a collector's market in a different art form?

What are we going to do around here when Oprah starts her comic book readers club and she picks Dazzler 1?

Hey, no worries. You're not alone in hating the influence of other media on comic book pricing. That said it would be hard to argue that other media aren't major drivers in the current comic book market. And not just other media but hype in general. How else to explain the prices of Tales To Astonish 13, Foom #2, Incredible Hulk #271 or countless other examples. Note I didn't include Brave and the Bold #28, I think that's a great book in it's own right, but so many other comics that are of middling interest at best have skyrocketed due to this hype. While Brave and the Bold #28 isn't in my collecting focus, the Foom example above is one that makes me frustrated. As a Steranko collector I now have to accept that I'll never own that cover.

And that is one reason why threads like this frustrate me a bit. I see them as another source of hyping a specific comic in an attempt to drive prices. This thread seems to be mostly people who are hyping a comic they have no intention of selling and honestly love, but there are many others on this board that seem to be attempts to "pump and dump".

In summation I love Brave and the Bold #28 and am glad it's finally getting its due, but have a general dislike of threads that always seem to be pushing comics in general out of my reach.

And that is one reason why threads like this frustrate me a bit. I see them as another source of hyping a specific comic in an attempt to drive prices. This thread seems to be mostly people who are hyping a comic they have no intention of selling and honestly love, but there are many others on this board that seem to be attempts to "pump and dump".

In summation I love Brave and the Bold #28 and am glad it's finally getting its due, but have a general dislike of threads that always seem to be pushing comics in general out of my reach.

I'm not sure I agree that this thread serves to pump and dump. At the onset of this thread, the value of this comic was markedly lower across all tiers of grades. It was noted quite early on that it was an undervalued book, and at that time and subsequent to that it was also apparent that other more modern books appeared to be more influenced by hype. The thread was initiated to determine what the value SHOULD be as well as what it MAY be in the future.

To date, the increases have exceeded my short term expectations but this comic isn't in the league of Detective 27 or Action 1 or AF 15 yet. I suspect that it will be in the future, but that statement is not designed to hype the book.

I also think that this comic is somewhat out of the reach of pump and dumpers currently. This price level is within the purview of true collectors that want a piece of comic history. It's not the type of thing you'll see flipped to the same extent like copies of the Strain or whatever new movie/tv book is now speculated upon.

Anyway, your opinion is equivalently as important....but I guess we just differ in our interpretation of what is to come.

I agree that we are seeing a lot of the pump and dump technique on the Boards. I hate it also. However, for the most part, I think this BB28 thread is an honest love of the book. For me, it's always been a favorite, a holy grail and so much more important than any movie hype.

For your viewing pleasure only.......

012-2.jpg

I agree that we are seeing a lot of the pump and dump technique on the Boards. I hate it also. However, for the most part, I think this BB28 thread is an honest love of the book. For me, it's always been a favorite, a holy grail and so much more important than any movie hype.

012-2.jpg

Oh wow, that's a beauty. Everything about that copy sings. (worship)

-J.

012-2.jpg

Beautiful book. And I agree about this thread being mostly about the love of the book. A book that was too long neglected. Sorry for the earlier rant.

And I agree about this thread being mostly about the love of the book. A book that was too long neglected. Sorry for the earlier rant.

No apologies necessary. It's not like there AREN'T tons of other threads hyping and posturing for sales. I also don't want to come off like I'm uninterested in the ever increasing prices.....because I certainly am. Heck, the name of the thread is "Speculation on future pricing". By it's very nature you're going to get speculators and those interested solely in the monetary value.

All that being equal, it is one of my favorite comics.....depicting my favorite super group of all time. Nothing has eclipsed my love of or interest in the Justice League.

Plus, at the end of the day everyone is entitled to an opinion....positive, negative or otherwise.

-J.

Especially the PQ... :baiting:

Yes, the stated "PQ" on the label is impressive for this book as well. :devil:

-J.

Thanks for all the compliments. I got this book from a OO collection in Canada back in the 90's. I submitted the book to CGC and trust me, in hand, the pages are bone white. I also got this JLA 3 from the same collection. Another toughie and please note the page quality !

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11073&GSub=915

-J.

Especially the PQ... :baiting:

Yes, the stated "PQ" on the label is impressive for this book as well. :devil:

-J.

Thanks for all the compliments. I got this book from a OO collection in Canada back in the 90's. I submitted the book to CGC and trust me, in hand, the pages are bone white. I also got this JLA 3 from the same collection. Another toughie and please note the page quality !

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=11073&GSub=915

I almost owned that puppy. ;)

Wow. This was a steal of a deal for a 7.5 when I was out of town. Did anyone here nab it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-28-CGC-7-5-1st-app-Justice-League-/301248760729?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4623d34b99

Look at the feedback left by someone. That may have been a scam.

Wow. This was a steal of a deal for a 7.5 when I was out of town. Did anyone here nab it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-28-CGC-7-5-1st-app-Justice-League-/301248760729?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4623d34b99

Look at the feedback left by someone. That may have been a scam.

Definitely a scam from a high jacked account. Not an actual sale.

-J.