• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Question boardies,

I was offered a CGC 4.5 of BB 28. At the time, GPA has been late in updating their pricing on this.

Can anyone tell me how much should I pay for a 4.5 book? c/ow

I would like a price that a "fair" collector is willing to pay I don't want to shoot a lowball offer and disrespect the seller.

Thanks

Offering $4500 (the most a 4.5 has ever sold for two months ago) shouldn't be seen as an insult to any seller. I'd avoid going over $5000 since there seem to be plenty of them out there. Five sales in the last three months of 4.0-5.0. The one caveat is don't pay more than you can reasonably afford. If $5k is 10% of your yearly take home, look for other books. If 5K is 1% of your yearly take home, have fun.

Question boardies,

I was offered a CGC 4.5 of BB 28. At the time, GPA has been late in updating their pricing on this.

I would like a price that a "fair" collector is willing to pay I don't want to shoot a lowball offer and disrespect the seller.

Thanks

Offering $4500 (the most a 4.5 has ever sold for two months ago) shouldn't be seen as an insult to any seller. I'd avoid going over $5000 since there seem to be plenty of them out there. Five sales in the last three months of 4.0-5.0. The one caveat is don't pay more than you can reasonably afford. If $5k is 10% of your yearly take home, look for other books. If 5K is 1% of your yearly take home, have fun.

I think 4500 is overpaying, especially for a CR/OW. The 5.0 data is more current and the 90 day average on a 5.0 is 4900 with all three books having Off White pages.

The last 4.5 that sold had "Lt/ow" on the the label and that is the current GPA high at $4,500 (another 4.5 with "cr/ow" on the label sold for $3500 just a few weeks before that). Yet a 4.0 sold for about $4,300. Right now I probably wouldn't let a 4.5 go for less than around $5k.

There seems to be some price compression between 4.0-5.0, and as always, the "pq" on the label seems to mean little.

-J.

For a 4.5 I would say between 3800-5300 depending on book. 3800 being for an overgraded copy and $5300 being for a book with upgrade potential. In general a fair collector price would be in the 4.2-4.7 range. That being said with all those green arrows on GPA and the outlook on the book many sellers may not be interested in selling the book at the current time at FMV.

For a 4.5 I would say between 3800-5300 depending on book. 3800 being for an overgraded copy and $5300 being for a book with upgrade potential. In general a fair collector price would be in the 4.2-4.7 range. That being said with all those green arrows on GPA and the outlook on the book many sellers may not be interested in selling the book at the current time at FMV.

+1

-J.

Most dealers would sell a book over GPA. Again, GPA is not all complete with their data. It is a good basis more or less on what a book is worth. Private sales take place and some auction houses big or small as well as some dealers do not report sale prices

+1

-J.

+1

Yes, just looking at GPA90 or more might not get the job done with all those green arrows.

Question boardies,

Thanks

I think 4500 is overpaying, especially for a CR/OW. The 5.0 data is more current and the 90 day average on a 5.0 is 4900 with all three books having Off White pages.

Do you report to GPA?

+1

-J.

+1

Yes, just looking at GPA90 or more might not get the job done with all those green arrows.

Most dealer prices on key books tend to start over GPA.

:shrug:

On books like this (where majority of sales appear to be private) GPA is usually the low-end of the pricing negotiation. DC keys seem to be more subject to private deals than Marvel due to their relative rarity (or perception of) and the higher frequency of Marvel sales in general. At the end of the day it really depends on what the owner paid for it to begin with.

FYI - I love how in one thread data like GPA is vilified and in another it is glorified... (Yes I am taking some liberties with exaggerations, but it is funny.)

+1

-J.

+1

Most dealer prices on key books tend to start over GPA.

:shrug:

On books like this (where majority of sales appear to be private) GPA is usually the low-end of the pricing negotiation. DC keys seem to be more subject to private deals than Marvel due to their relative rarity (or perception of) and the higher frequency of Marvel sales in general. At the end of the day it really depends on what the owner paid for it to begin with.

FYI - I love how in one thread data like GPA is vilified and in another it is glorified... (Yes I am taking some liberties with exaggerations, but it is funny.)

My thoughts exactly

So just an update:

The CGC 4.5 i was offered to is no longer available. Somebody beat me to it and snagged it for $5750

Good lord. Early bird gets the worm I suppose. Looks like rfoiii got the closest with his range. Hopefully that dealer reports to GPA.

-J.

So just an update:

The CGC 4.5 i was offered to is no longer available. Somebody beat me to it and snagged it for $5750

Good lord. Early bird gets the worm I suppose. Looks like rfoiii got the closest with his range. Hopefully that dealer reports to GPA.

-J.

Yeah tell me about it..my offer was way off lol...

Just like with the earlier posts in this thread the time to buy is now but the prices are still going up as each week passes by.

Hopefully i can find one one still