• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

I am not sure it was underpriced. The "Slightly Brittle Pages" on the label is a big issue for most of us here.........

Perhaps...

I missed the PQ. Grading PQ is a little wish/washy, but brittle is generally not great.

Yeah, it surely would make me hesitate, but for the grade it looks underpriced. And not everyone care so much about PQ.

To an extent I agree with you...whilst i am one of the people who greatly considers PQ, the market of people who dont care what the PQ is still is higher than the ones like me who cares about them.

I am not sure it was underpriced. The "Slightly Brittle Pages" on the label is a big issue for most of us here.........

Perhaps...

I missed the PQ. Grading PQ is a little wish/washy, but brittle is generally not great.

Yeah, it surely would make me hesitate, but for the grade it looks underpriced. And not everyone care so much about PQ.

To an extent I agree with you...whilst i am one of the people who greatly considers PQ, the market of people who dont care what the PQ is still is higher than the ones like me who cares about them.

Yes, just for the record, I also care. W or OW are both fine (I'm no WP snob hehe), CR is different and I want a bit of a rebate for that. Brittle is where I might not be interested even if the rebate is considerable. But of course even brittle has a price.

Perhaps...

Yes, just for the record, I also care. W or OW are both fine (I'm no WP snob hehe), CR is different and I want a bit of a rebate for that. Brittle is where I might not be interested even if the rebate is considerable. But of course even brittle has a price.

I see no "rebates" for DC SA books with "cr" on the label (or most key Marvel books).

"Slightly Brittle", yes, since that is seldom seen in SA books (and actually is a quantifiable page QUALITY as opposed to "colour").

-J.

Perhaps...

I see no "rebates" for DC SA books with "cr" on the label (or most key Marvel books).

"Slightly Brittle", yes, since that is seldom seen in SA books (and actually is a quantifiable page QUALITY as opposed to "colour").

-J.

Right on queue J

If you think you are going to get a discount from a dealer on this book (or any DC mega key) for "Cream" pages you are likely to be disappointed. In the same vane though, dealers will likely charge a premium for "White" only pages.

Private deals - all bets are off as people negotiate all over the place.

The grading on page color is extremely inconsistent; brittle being the only differentiator that can really "scare" a buyer. A discount doesn't always exist here either given the rarity of the key or the grade.

Edited by rfoiii

I had to deeply discount a slightly brittle BB 28 to get it sold, this just a month ago

Man, you have bad luck with this book!

lol Something's telling me the tide has turned.

-J.

+1 for you G.A.tor lol

By the way do the board have a BB28 club so that I can see your bb28 treasures? :)

Perhaps...

-J.

I'm not trying to argue that this is a general rule, but it's a personal preference.

Btw. when Greg Reece about a year ago listed a BB28 they wrote "note that this beautiful comic does not have cream page quality which often mares this issue" (the book had OW pages). So it seems that some people care if they use it as a sales pitch. Anyway, I certainly care.

Edited by AlexanderM

Perhaps...

-J.

I'm not trying to argue that this is a general rule, but it's a personal preference.

Btw. when Greg Reece about a year ago listed a BB28 they wrote "note that this beautiful comic does not have cream page quality which often mares this issue" (the book had OW pages). So it seems that some people care if they use it as a sales pitch. Anyway, I certainly care.

Here's the thing: PQ might not mean much to some folks, but it clearly does to others. Furthermore, it appears to be a point folks LIKE to make when they have W or OW pages and a fact they'd rather not advertise as a strong selling point when they have PQ that is not OW or W.

I'd not hesitate to grab a BB28 in C to OW, T to C, or OW to W. They are LEGENDARY BOOKS that will only appreciate in time and they all deserve a home with folks that love 'em.

C-OW seems to be the cut-off grade for page quality with SA keys. Anything below that tends to be discounted, and W pages will get a premium with early SA DC keys (but not as much for Marvel as they tend to be OW-W to W more often).

That being said, it is interesting to see how short the supply is for decent copies of B&B #28 this year. There are only 7 unrestored copies on eBay right now. At this time last year a collector could have their pick of a number of available copies all over the place. lol

Edited by kimik

I value and I see the market value off-white+ DC SA keys more than the respective lower PQ. Of course, like any other books, eye appeals is the deciding factor. In occasion a book with cream/off white pages can be value more than a off-white only if with the eye appeal; such as, structure, colors, centering is top notch. CGC has been very accurate on the page quality. In 95% off the time an off-white page+ book will present much better than a cream/white pages...the freshness...the suppleness...the glow...and more gloss. Brave and the Bold 28 and Showcase 22 in cream/off with pages is the normal, so discount here. But off-white+ pages and nice eye appeal...a premium.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Old CGC labels has a very good chance of a PQ bump. Off-white to white pages and white pages are uncommon in the early days of CGC...to strict. There accuracy is consistence now with off-white+ books and the respective PQ.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Can anyone point to some sales on GPA that reflect a consistent and/or quantifiable "discount" or "premium" either way, because I sure do not see any (and never have). (shrug)

It truly seems to be more myth that is rooted in individual personal preference and/or bias than actual fact.

-J.

Can anyone point to some sales on GPA that reflect a consistent and/or quantifiable "discount" or "premium" either way, because I sure do not see any (and never have). (shrug)

It truly seems to be more myth that is rooted in individual personal preference and/or bias than actual fact.

-J.

Using three recent examples, there is a bit of a discount on the lower page quality books:

Greg's 4.0 copy sold at $3900 with slightly brittle pages:

http://www.gregreececomics.com/Comics/BRAVE_AND_THE_BOLD_28_CGC_4_0_SB_PAGES

There was a recent sale on eBay for a 3.5 with C-OW for $3750.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-The-Bold-28-1st-Justice-League-of-America-CGC-3-5-CREAM-OW-Pgs-/311355831454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487e40f49e

According to GPA, the most recent 4.0 sale of $4327 was for an OW-W copy in March (2 months ago and before the recent price run up - that is looking like a good deal now).

My guess is that the 4.0 with OW-W would sell for closer to $5000, possibly more, in the current market due to the page quality.