• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Hmm, I'm guessing that turnaround times could suffer more from this as every book will now probably be assessed for pressing potential. hm

One advantage to those that don't care about pressing is going to be the huge increase in high grade books as the census numbers explode due to the integrated, institutionalized pressing "ringer" comic books will now be put through. Should definitely bring prices down moving forward. (thumbs u

Stick a fork in bronze.

One advantage to those that don't care about pressing is going to be the huge increase in high grade books as the census numbers explode due to the integrated, institutionalized pressing "ringer" comic books will now be put through. Should definitely bring prices down moving forward. (thumbs u

Already happening with late Silver books...

I know one thing, if I had been buying comic books for investment, I'd start selling 'em as quick as I can. Today's population figures are going to go out the window with the institutionalized pressing that's about to enter our hobby. :eek:
I don't know. It's pretty bad now--some of the population numbers on some books just haven't increased because there no justification to do so. Unless the folks submitting don't know what they're selling I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

But I do agree that an incline of numbers is to be expected...but I think those that submit now were already pressing and those that didn't aren't going to just because the service is being offered. I'm guessing about 20% of customers "maybe" haven't heard or utilized pressing.

This is just an offer of convenience. Business as usual.

Stick a fork in bronze.

Really It's going to be virtually everything post 1966, and basically every Marvel post FF 1....but all of that was happening already I guess. This will just speed up the inevitable wind down of values.

Hmm, I'm guessing that turnaround times could suffer more from this as every book will now probably be assessed for pressing potential. hm

Yep. This time next year we'll be wishing we only had to wait 6 months to get our books back.

I should be able to move house, change jobs and have a child before I get my books back. Even when I get them (assuming I haven't passed away), the way my memory is, I won't remember what the hell they are or who sent them to me.

Stick a fork in bronze.

Stick a fork in Wonder Woman comics. :baiting:

Stick a fork in bronze.

Really It's going to be virtually everything post 1966, and basically every Marvel post FF 1....but all of that was happening already I guess. This will just speed up the inevitable wind down of values.

hm If so, what happens to 1966 and earlier? A higher climb/increased desirability, or a similar tumble by association?

Stick a fork in bronze.

Stick a fork in Wonder Woman comics. :baiting:

lol Touche.

Stick a fork in bronze.

Yep, but again guys---I haven't seen the data that offering pressing as part of the service is going to do anything...

in other words, I think pressing is already baked into the current model we're seeing. What's going to push submissions?

SHOW ME THE MONEY.

As the money doesn't show, I'm guessing that will curb the enthusiasm for submissions.

I'm no fool though...and the chance of more books on the market will increase with the offering rather than decrease...but again I think most that submit are already using pressing---and the desire to submit is because there is a market for the books.

At some point, I suspect we'll all get disgusted and go back to buying/selling raw books. I'm entertaining it now myself.

Stick a fork in bronze.

I think bronze is well done by this point, the "top census" books of even just 5 years ago have become 2nd/3rd highest and "one of three" is now more like "one of eight" for the top of the ladder.

Three years ago, there was one copy of Green Lantern #76 in 9.6. Now? There are eleven copies in 9.6...and two 9.8's! :o

Hulk 181? At the end of 2008 there were 15 9.8's and 123 9.4's. Now? There are 57 9.8's! :o

It sounds like your alluding that there will be a buyers market in the future?

Already happening with late Silver books...

Oh yeah, I think any post-1964 Marvels are going to be in the same boat...there are lots of books out there that will soon be submitted (and re-submitted over and over) until they reach their "potential". Silver DC's are not nearly as ubiquitous, so the effect won't be as stark for these, but BA DC's are more plentiful in HG so there are many more candidates out there for improvement.

People that press already were.

Will non-pressers now do it?

This board is small but punches well above its weight in the secondary market.

People who don't know about CGC wouldn't know about pressing probably.

I'm not sure this will bring a huge influx of new pressers.

Values - who knows?

That 9.0 Hulk #1 that went for over 100k - you really think that all 8.0 owners hadn't considered a press?

I am more concerned about the presser and grader being in the same building.

What will the grader notes now say - 8.5 but with our in-house pressing,this would be a 9.2?

The potential for that scenario is there.

Stick a fork in bronze.

at what price point does the snake swallowing his tail stop people from bothering to submit a book? if a $X OPSG in 9.2 book can't command $X in CGC 9.4 what is the point of spending $50 to grade and press the book and have it sit in Sarasota for 6 months?

Stick a fork in bronze.

I think bronze is well done by this point, the "top census" books of even just 5 years ago have become 2nd/3rd highest and "one of three" is now more like "one of eight" for the top of the ladder.

Three years ago, there was one copy of Green Lantern #76 in 9.6. Now? There are eleven copies in 9.6...and two 9.8's! :o

Hulk 181? At the end of 2008 there were 15 9.8's and 123 9.4's. Now? There are 57 9.8's! :o

For bronze books I collect we've seen a good 30% adjustment---which i think reflects fair value, I think another 10% adjustment might be in order over time but it's stabilized from my perspective. Maybe it's just a new plateau before another dip!