• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Is it really that big of a deal? CGC has endorsed Classics Incorporated publicly in the past, so the thought of them possibly giving a "home team bump" has been there all along.

there's a difference between endorsing and having a direct financial interest in something.

This is terrible news. I thought it was a joke at first.

Seems unethical. Does this mean that having my books pressed will now certainly promise a higher grade? In other words, if I throw them an extra $20 I can have all my 9.6 books magically upgrade?

Maybe so, maybe not...but that's how people are gonna look at it.

:(

Bad bad news for the integrity of the company because of the perception (or truth) that one can basically buy a higher grade now.

Edited by newshane

I know one thing, if I had been buying comic books for investment, I'd start selling 'em as quick as I can. Today's population figures are going to go out the window with the institutionalized pressing that's about to enter our hobby. :eek:

Is it really that big of a deal? CGC has endorsed Classics Incorporated publicly in the past, so the thought of them possibly giving a "home team bump" has been there all along.

there's a difference between endorsing and having a direct financial interest in something.

BIG difference.

CGC has stepped in a big steaming pile of PGX with this brilliant aquisition. It's actually a pretty good move of corporate raiding that will gain short-term revenue at the expense of the overall reputation of the company, but I would venture a guess that several years from now, the hobby will look back at this and signfiy it as being a detrimental move.

It may open the door for another grading service, but that will fragment everything - probably causing oversaturation for graded books by different companies, different opinions - ultimately underminding the respect and importance of a graded book. It will drive prices for graded books and values down for ungraded books - while driving up revenues for those companies. Again - all short term solutions that ignore the long-term ramifications in order to make money.

RIght now, they are the top dog - but they've given most people a reason to look to other grading services (whether quietly or vocally) because their ethics will be in question.

BIG difference.

CGC has stepped in a big steaming pile of PGX with this brilliant aquisition. It's actually a pretty good move of corporate raiding that will gain short-term revenue at the expense of the overall reputation of the company, but I would venture a guess that several years from now, the hobby will look back at this and signfiy it as being a detrimental move.

It may open the door for another grading service, but that will fragment everything - probably causing oversaturation for graded books by different companies, different opinions - ultimately underminding the respect and importance of a graded book. It will drive prices for graded books and values down for ungraded books - while driving up revenues for those companies. Again - all short term solutions that ignore the long-term ramifications in order to make money.

This.

It's all about short term gain while (most likely) negatively impacting the future of the hobby. Get it while the gettings good.

It's a totally different thing, I know, but this reminds me of the current publishers. They're pumping out trades and hardcovers like crazy, and they're doing variants over and over and over. It feels like their getting as much money as possible right now, knowing that the way people read comics in the near future is going to change. Get all of the money we can out of printed comics now, and let the bottom fall out before the hobby turns to reading digitally.

This is a business move, and I'm sure it'll help their bottom line in the short term. But long term, who knows how it'll impact collecting overall and how we all view impartial grading in particular.

Edited by Reno McCoy

BIG difference.

RIght now, they are the top dog - but they've given most people a reason to look to other grading services (whether quietly or vocally) because their ethics will be in question.

Another grading service has to come into the market at some point. Yes, there will be turmoil and a sorting out period but it really needs to happen - and it will at some point.

The heavy hitters on here and in the comic book industry as a whole need to get together and sort out way to MAKE it happen. If there are reputable people on board, I'll be in from day one.

Got to imagine this will cause people to submit way more orders through Classics Incorporated now rather than other avenues. Not to mention if Matt Nelson continues to sell CGC graded books, CGC would start trending dangerously close to PGX territory. Bad idea all around

Brian