• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

JOEYPOST needs in on this!! CFP joint venture!

joey is just fine the way he is. Many of the new services CGC is touting I have offered to my customers for years (and for less).

:applause:

I may not submit often, but I can tell you that with this new turn, I'm even more motivated to send books to guys like Joeypost, KOR or the other guys who have similar services to ensure that when my books go to CGC, I've had an impartial expert looking at them first.

This way, CGC only gets your submission. That'll show 'em. :baiting:

Banning CGC outright doesn't solve the problem, nor is it realistic. My concern is that they could potentially undergrade my book in order to sell me something. I don't want to be in that position - so until a better alternative comes along, I'll be taking different steps to submit books.

It's not that they are selling me a $15 pressing fee if I don't need it. It's that they will be selling that fee to thousands of people, making it more important to sell the service than to actually provide it when needed.

Send a book in to be graded and get sold..

Resto work

Pressing services

Whatever they say, however they spin it - it will be purely for monetary motivations

Nope. Pretty sure altruism was the sole motivation.

I wouldn't be looking for altruism, I'm mostly looking for a company who provides a service in an ethical fashion and with their customers best interests in mind while they turn a profit. I know, I know, that's asking a lot - but up until one hour ago, the perception of CGC's product was just that.

And why has your opinion changed? Because CGC, the grading company with the highest standards, has partnered with Classics, the restoration company with the highest standards? Now the best grading company will be able to provide a larger number of the best services quicker and better. But that makes you nervous. So you will now only use other services, which you already use, and disparage the grading company that already does all of your grading simply because they are now bigger and more efficient. Makes all the sense in the world to me.

JOEYPOST needs in on this!! CFP joint venture!

joey is just fine the way he is. Many of the new services CGC is touting I have offered to my customers for years (and for less).

:applause:

I may not submit often, but I can tell you that with this new turn, I'm even more motivated to send books to guys like Joeypost, KOR or the other guys who have similar services to ensure that when my books go to CGC, I've had an impartial expert looking at them first.

This way, CGC only gets your submission. That'll show 'em. :baiting:

Banning CGC outright doesn't solve the problem, nor is it realistic. My concern is that they could potentially undergrade my book in order to sell me something. I don't want to be in that position - so until a better alternative comes along, I'll be taking different steps to submit books.

It absolutely would solve the problem, and it absolutely is unrealistic.

Well, yes - I see your point, but I don't think that is something that people are going to do in droves. It'd be more of a trickle.

Whatever they say, however they spin it - it will be purely for monetary motivations

I wouldn't be looking for altruism, I'm mostly looking for a company who provides a service in an ethical fashion and with their customers best interests in mind while they turn a profit. I know, I know, that's asking a lot - but up until one hour ago, the perception of CGC's product was just that.

And why has your opinion changed? Because CGC, the grading company with the highest standards, has partnered with Classics, the restoration company with the highest standards? Now the best grading company will be able to provide a larger number of the best services quicker and better. But that makes you nervous. So you will now only use other services, which you already use, and disparage the grading company that already does all of your grading simply because they are now bigger and more efficient. Makes all the sense in the world to me.

Would make sense if their business was working

Look at their turnaround times...

Invest where investment is needed.

Edited by Waylander

My opinion has changed because the reputations of both those companies were independent of each other. Regardless of whether they will or won't honestly grade my book is not a debateable topic anymore, because those two reputable companies have become one.

They're not selling computers or cars, they are selling comic book grading and restoration services, which are arguably two of the most important, debateable, relative topics in the entire hobby.

I don't think it has to do with being bigger or more efficent - it has to do with the services they now offer, and how that affects the perception of people buying their end product. It causes way more problems than it solves.

Bigger - YES. More efficient.... You have to be kidding right?

Anyone know if the employee's moving from Classics to CGC could possibly be qualified to be new graders for CGC?

Because that wouldn't be a conflict of interest? Having the guys restoring or pressing the books also grading them?

because they are now bigger and more efficient.

Where is the efficiency gain? Will Matt Nelson help with turnaround times?

Anyone know if the employee's moving from Classics to CGC could possibly be qualified to be new graders for CGC?

Because that wouldn't be a conflict of interest? Having the guys restoring or pressing the books also grading them?

to be fair, they no longer appear to be concerned about conflicts of interest.

It causes way more problems than it solves.

No. It doesn't. It solves way more problems than it causes. Now folks can do it all at once. You do it.

But you don't want to do it all at once because...well, just because.

Not sure what is going to happen to Classic's joint business with Worldwide. I'm guessing that this is now terminated?

this is a very good question

I've been told that it has already been terminated, that Matt is liquidating his personal inventory, and that he will be under the same constraints as any CGC employee. That means he will not be buying for resale. Period.

Not sure what is going to happen to Classic's joint business with Worldwide. I'm guessing that this is now terminated?

Must be. That would be the sensible/ethical thing to do.

Oh, wait a min... :facepalm:

Nick, you should contact Stephen Ward over at UKG. I've warmed him up to the idea of having a go at it, and this announcement may well be the spark to reignite their interests to get into comic grading.

hm

to be fair, they no longer appear to be concerned about conflicts of interest.

Have they ever? But honestly I could careless anymore. Hope that this is positive news for a good guy like Kenny.

Maybe they'll at least change the label style so we can tell the pre-CI books from the post-CI books and make an informed decision on whether to buy or not, because many in this thread would obviously care.

Doing that is an admission that something - standards, perception, etc... - has changed. They would be undermining their own service.