• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

It makes sense to capture the money from pressing books, as so many of those submitted come via pressing services.

Doing so does not have to involve duplicity.

In fact for a company whose continued existence is built upon their integrity it would be economic suicide to offer automatic grade bumps for those who use their pressing service.

So it is in their best interest to maintian their integrity. The same company could press books and grade them objectively if they institute some type of internal firewall between departments.

I think this is just common sense commerce not some grand conspiracy to undermine their own business for $8 a pop.

Integrity = CGC disclosing pressing being performed by their own internal people.

Chaos = Everyone would bypass CGC's pressing service, and use an outside service provider to get the stealth press.

We already have chaos, and the integrity ship not only sailed years ago, but any remnant of a dock was lost to the tsunami that forced everyone to take a hard look at pressing to gamify their grades and submission.

JOEYPOST needs in on this!! CFP joint venture!

joey is just fine the way he is. Many of the new services CGC is touting I have offered to my customers for years (and for less).

:applause:

I may not submit often, but I can tell you that with this new turn, I'm even more motivated to send books to guys like Joeypost, KOR or the other guys who have similar services to ensure that when my books go to CGC, I've had an impartial expert looking at them first.

Tony from comicsinaflash is a good guy too (thumbs u

I'm so glad CGC has enough money to invest in buying a resto and pressing company like CI but they don't have money to spend on fixing their horrible turn around times.

Sickening quite frankly.

And to think the whole argument of not being able to detect pressing is now out the window. They will know exactly which books are pressed or not and don't care anyway.

Will CGC now refuse to accept books from other pressing companies?

If so,is that an illegal restraint of trade?

Before announcing this,a set of answers to the obvious questions would have been helpful.

If PGX had a brain - they would sell to an independant person.PGX would then rename and be top dog in 6 months.

PGX is tarnished forever. Doesn't matter who owns it.

Thats why I said to change names.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested if I knew it had any ties to the old PGX

I 100% agree

joey is just fine the way he is. Many of the new services CGC is touting I have offered to my customers for years (and for less).

I may not submit often, but I can tell you that with this new turn, I'm even more motivated to send books to guys like Joeypost, KOR or the other guys who have similar services to ensure that when my books go to CGC, I've had an impartial expert looking at them first.

This way, CGC only gets your submission. That'll show 'em. :baiting:

Whatever they say, however they spin it - it will be purely for monetary motivations

Nope. Pretty sure altruism was the sole motivation.

I wouldn't be looking for altruism, I'm mostly looking for a company who provides a service in an ethical fashion and with their customers best interests in mind while they turn a profit. I know, I know, that's asking a lot - but up until one hour ago, the perception of CGC's product was just that.

I'm so glad CGC has enough money to invest in buying a resto and pressing company like CI but they don't have money to spend on fixing their horrible turn around times.

Sickening quite frankly.

And to think the whole argument of not being able to detect pressing is now out the window. They will know exactly which books are pressed or not and don't care anyway.

That's a good point! Will they now disclose pressed book on it's labeling?

In an ideal situation, consumers would speak with their wallets when a corporation does something they deem to be distasteful. Unfortunately, CGC is in the unique position of both draining and filling the wallets of collectors, so nothing will change.

Sickening quite frankly.

:roflmao:

I mean, no.

Sickening quite frankly.

Its think about that... :taptaptap:

Nope :facepalm:

Banning CGC outright doesn't solve the problem, nor is it realistic. My concern is that they could potentially undergrade my book in order to sell me something. I don't want to be in that position - so until a better alternative comes along, I'll be taking different steps to submit books.

It's not that they are selling me a $15 pressing fee if I don't need it. It's that they will be selling that fee to thousands of people, making it more important to sell the service than to actually provide it when needed.

Sickening quite frankly.

You'd think that ethically they would have too. They'll know for sure which books are pressed and which aren't.

Not sure what is going to happen to Classic's joint business with Worldwide. I'm guessing that this is now terminated?

Must be. That would be the sensible/ethical thing to do.

Oh, wait a min... :facepalm:

Nick, you should contact Stephen Ward over at UKG. I've warmed him up to the idea of having a go at it, and this announcement may well be the spark to reignite their interests to get into comic grading.

This topic is going to go on and on and on because it's a hobby-wide concern. The one, single, reputable company who had a majority stake in grading impartiality has just butted themselves in front of everyone on this board.

Collectors have short memories and long addictions, so there will be little if any actual fallout beyond this thread.

^^

They are the only crack dealers in town and their customers gripe about every aspect of their service while continuing to buy their crack.

There is no competition and I still believe that if there ever was going to be any competition, that company, or companies, would have stepped forward long ago.

Banning CGC outright doesn't solve the problem, nor is it realistic. My concern is that they could potentially undergrade my book in order to sell me something. I don't want to be in that position - so until a better alternative comes along, I'll be taking different steps to submit books.

It absolutely would solve the problem, and it absolutely is unrealistic.