• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,721 posts in this topic

I cannot help but notice Marvel's Star Wars #1 has been fetching good money lately. Just a few years ago, this was a $10-15 book in NM condition on E-Bay. For the last few years, this comic has been selling extremely well and fetching prices comparable to Overstreet's price guide.

I find this fascinating since this comic sold more copies than any other comic in the 1970s. There is a never ending supply of issues #1s and they seem to do really well on E-Bay. I never thought the comic would ever fetch the prices listed in Overstreet.

But it's audience is beyond just comic collectors. The Star Wars collecting market is huge.

I totally agree with you. In addition you have people like me who bought a few copies of early StarWars off the 7-11 racks when the movie came out. After getting my first job (paper route) in early 80s, I had $ to chase my hobby on a new "scale"... such as going after star wars cards and comics I was missing from the first series. If not for Star Wars, i might not have started reading comics again, and thus missed the collecting mania all together. I am not surprised this book is selling well as it ranks up there w other key Bronze due to large demand. The 25 yr rule should be kicking in for many folks, esp w Marvel so big on the Hollywood screen. For most guys in their late 30s into mid 40s, spending $50 vs $25 is a drop in the bucket to get a nice book you might have wanted as a kid.

I cannot help but notice Marvel's Star Wars #1 has been fetching good money lately. Just a few years ago, this was a $10-15 book in NM condition on E-Bay. For the last few years, this comic has been selling extremely well and fetching prices comparable to Overstreet's price guide.

I find this fascinating since this comic sold more copies than any other comic in the 1970s. There is a never ending supply of issues #1s and they seem to do really well on E-Bay. I never thought the comic would ever fetch the prices listed in Overstreet.

In what grade? I have been buying SW 1 for the last 8 years and have yet to run across a NM+ copy for less than $50.00. Most of the time I pay $75 to $100.

In what grade? I have been buying SW 1 for the last 8 years and have yet to run across a NM+ copy for less than $50.00. Most of the time I pay $75 to $100.

I've purchased maybe 5 or 6 issues over the years of Star Wars 1 (all newsstand 30 cent copies) on E-Bay for $10-15 in NM condition raw. I have other copies of that comic that also were purchased that were advertised as NM condition but were instead in E-Bay NM condition (i.e. VF+ or worse.) I'm guessing the last purchase I made for $15 was probably around 4 years ago, but it could have been longer. I think I probably have close to 20 copies of Star Wars 1 raw, although some are the various reprints that were put out for that comic.

If you are paying $75-100 raw, you are buying on the high end, but you did say you were chasing NM+ copies, which is high end. Even now, there are BIN listing for this issue in NM condition (the condition I have been pursuing) for under those prices (a couple of examples):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-4-NEAR-MINT-STAR-WARS-1-Marvel-1977-1st-Print-Howard-Chaykin-Art-Roy-Thomas-/251255791135?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a80031e1f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-2-NEAR-MINT-minus-STAR-WARS-1-Marvel-1977-1st-Print-Roy-Thomas-H-Chaykin-Art-/251247527994?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7f85083a

I'll agree with you that some of the listings are clearly not NM despite the description:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Comics-Star-Wars-1-1977-NM-Adapted-The-Movie-/230955828022?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35c60a4336

I was surprised to see people paying $50-70 for this comic in NM condition raw. It's been a few years since I've purchased an issue 1 raw as I'm now mostly pursuing CGC issues in 9.6 although I'll buy any Marvel Star Wars for the right price and condition. I purchase a CGC 9.6 WHITE late last year for $135 shipped using Make An Offer. I also bought 2 copies of 107 CGC 9.6 WHITE for $126 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321070060328) and $121 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321070060328) shipped just this past February.

It just feels to me like there is a never ending supply of this title (even the latter issues) on E-Bay. I have noticed less and less auctions and more BINs with comics in general on E-Bay, which may account for this upswing in prices.

Edited by rjrjr

Just picked up a nice run of ASMs and looking at GPA it seems like ASM #101 is jumping up a bit right now. Any reason for this?

Morbius will be in Amazing Spider-Man 2

This is not confirmed, just a rumour, and even if so it seems he would be just introduced as Dr. Michael Morbius, so I guess it’s more likely he will be in a possible third Spider-Man movie.

ASM #101 has been pretty much sought after recently, I found some difficulties in buying a nice grade copy last year, now it may also have something to do with the new Morbius series, although I doubt of this as well. It is just a good issue, although as far as the story goes I prefer MTU #3-4 over ASM #101-102, but then ASM #101 is the first appearance and the cover is great. :)

Just picked up a nice run of ASMs and looking at GPA it seems like ASM #101 is jumping up a bit right now. Any reason for this?

Morbius will be in Amazing Spider-Man 2

This is not confirmed, just a rumour, and even if so it seems he would be just introduced as Dr. Michael Morbius, so I guess it’s more likely he will be in a possible third Spider-Man movie.

ASM #101 has been pretty much sought after recently, I found some difficulties in buying a nice grade copy last year, now it may also have something to do with the new Morbius series, although I doubt of this as well. It is just a good issue, although as far as the story goes I prefer MTU #3-4 over ASM #101-102, but then ASM #101 is the first appearance and the cover is great. :)

....you can say that again....I Like the cover to 102 also ....as well as the interior. Morbius' origin by Gil Kane with the Lizard tossed in was one heck of a book back in the day. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend ooof jesus) (thumbs u

And not only back in the day… lol

I have a particular soft spot for Morbius, as when I was a kid I was scared to death by vampires and I have a full story related to this and my first Marvel comics readings… :D

But when I was able to read those stories, well I just loved MTU #3-4, both brilliant as Morbius origin feels a little rushed up but those are just awesome. (thumbs u