• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if Adam Warlock will FINALLY make it into the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Hasn't enough time passed to hold off the most interesting character that is heavily involved in the whole Infinity Gauntlet story line?

Do a Google news search for Magus. There's a shaky rumor about a casting call for Magus within the last couple of days.

A 9.8 copy of ST 178 sold for a cool grand several months ago on CLink. I promptly put my 9.8 with OW pages up as a buy it item on CLink for $600 (okay, just looked, July 2014) and it sold in a day or so.

bah, i sold mine on CC last year for $425 after being unable to move it here for $350.

...... That's still not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. ST 178 has such a strong cover and really looks fantastic in grade. My buddy is a big Warlock/ Thanos freak and we were checking out some of the keys on eBay a while back. I was surprised at how reasonable 9.4's were on 178 (1st Magus) and 180 (1st Gamora)...... not only 1st appearances but chock full of early Starlin who was very inspired. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A Star Wars 42 (First comic Boba Fett) went for almost $700 in the comiclink auction. Are these slow trickling or is the demand that high? I know this is not an uncommon book...
:whee:
I seem to recall scrolling past a wall of these in the 'back from cgc' thread hm

A Star Wars 42 (First comic Boba Fett) went for almost $700 in the comiclink auction. Are these slow trickling or is the demand that high? I know this is not an uncommon book...
I seem to recall scrolling past a wall of these in the 'back from cgc' thread hm

That was over a year ago. This is the 9th 9.8 I have sold with two left.

That was over a year ago. This is the 9th 9.8 I have sold with two left.
Wow, where does the time go. :preach:

Yeah, I don't think I would buy that. I'm not an anti sig guy, I have a couple and love them, but sometimes the sig just ruins a book.

looks like a case where they did not direct Stan where to sign. There are many examples where he scribble over titles like this.

Yeah, I don't think I would buy that. I'm not an anti sig guy, I have a couple and love them, but sometimes the sig just ruins a book.

looks like a case where they did not direct Stan where to sign. There are many examples where he scribble over titles like this.

The location isn't the real problem, it's the gold marker at the end of it's death throes.

The location isn't the real problem, it's the gold marker at the end of it's death throes.

yeah-- that doesn't help at all. But I wouldn't want him signing on top of the title like that. I would want a signature in a darker (with that ink) or open area on the page that doesn't take away from the artwork. I don't have any signatures on my comics other than that one kid who wrote Anthony all over one of them. We get it Anthony-- this is your comic book.

Years from now, people will be laughing at the stupidity of getting a signatures scrawled all over a high-grade vintage comic book, and the fact that a company actually promoted this insane practice.

Maybe. Years from now we won't have a lot of these creators still living. Anything Star Trek already looks better to me if it's signed by Leonard Nimoy. Anything Frazetta looks nice with a hand-signed Frazetta on it.

Will we really wish Stan didn't sign so many things when he is gone?

Years from now, people will be laughing at the stupidity of getting a signatures scrawled all over a high-grade vintage comic book, and the fact that a company actually promoted this insane practice.

I have very few signatures from people I admire -- but some of them are enjoyable to have, like an 8x10 picture of Lee Roy Selmon (Tampa Bucs HOF 1995) with me at a University of South Florida (USF) pre-game road trip tailgate that I had him sign. I had him sign several items over the years while he was the Athletic Director at the USF. I used to free lance taking game pictures for another message forum so access to him was not unusual. My interaction wasn't just an autograph as I was fortunate enough to meet with him several times. Once on the bus ride from the hotel to our away game against Arkansas in 2003, we had an extensive conversation. GREAT MAN.

When he died several years ago, I realized I had about 5 signatures from various events over the years. Some were pretty specific and on interesting media. I sold some of those as I downsized all collectibles and wanted to share that stuff with other USF Bulls fans who did not get the chance to meet the man perhaps. The one with us together though is a keepsake and proudly hangs on my wall.

As for comics-- a Jack Kirby under the manifest signature (not on the cover) would be great to see/own. The only one I would want on the cover itself would be a Steranko-- because I admire his work and like the way he signs. Some of the other big names like Frazetta, Neal Adams, Wrightson, etc-- they are great but they are not books I actively pursue. And I think that is what should be important in the end. If you admire the artist enough to want to have that signature-- by all means, get one when you can how you like it.

Back to Selmon: so here is the signature I sold.

1uCnauKm.jpg

I would bet there aren't very many of these magazines out there in general but in this case, I think his signature on it makes it better. That is an appropriate item to have signed imo. Having a Stan Lee on some random comic that he had little to do with -- that never makes much sense to me.